Favorite On-Field Restaurant?

Charley's on the field at KJGG (Williamsburg Va) has great sandwiches.

I was looking for a photo of the sign, and Google came up with nothing. I forgot that you took lots of pictures when we ate there. Fun sign, they have an even bigger one out on the main road leading in to the airport. On Saturday / Sunday mornings, a bunch of elderly men - who I can't imagine are able to fly anymore - meet for breakfast and tell aviation stories. I've seen / heard them many times. The diner is a neat place.
I was pretty impressed by Petaluma's airport. It seemed like what a GA airport is supposed to be like. Cute restaurant, lots of people out flying their small airplanes. Of course it was a beautiful weekend day.

I was pretty impressed by Petaluma's airport. It seemed like what a GA airport is supposed to be like. Cute restaurant, lots of people out flying their small airplanes. Of course it was a beautiful weekend day.

Yes and the airport manager on the weekends knows everyone and is friendly. Also other pilots say hello sometimes and people sit on the porch of the airport building and watch planes land. That is on the other side of the fence, too, so anyone from the public can do it without a code. Oh and they haven't changed the gate code in YEARS.

Kimberly

Which Hard8 location is the best. I'm in and out of DAL about twice a year. I saw there is a location next to DFW or is it better to fly the extra 30 mins to Stephenville?

The one in Stephenville is more fun 'cause you get to drive the golf carts over to Hard8. :D

Sutton County Steak House at Sonora is really good too.

Charley's on the field at KJGG (Williamsburg Va) has great sandwiches.

The restaurant is the only nice thing about that airport. They have the most expensive fuel in the surrounding area, and the owner is, well, a word that will be bleeped out.

The Perfect Landing, KAPA, Centennial, Colorado.
I'll go with this also. Yes, it's my home base but this is far from the typical greasy spook airport restaurant. Even if I'm not flying, I take business clients there for lunch and all enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere.

Huh?
I didn't get that memo.
Or, are you referring to the post that Kevin made on Jan 6, 2011?

Ahh - the perils of reading and replying in a resurrected thread :mad2:

Sorry for the error.

I'll go with this also. Yes, it's my home base but this is far from the typical greasy spook airport restaurant. Even if I'm not flying, I take business clients there for lunch and all enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere.

Definitely one of the top 3 airport restaurants I've ever seen (along with Final Approach at KSBM and Pilot Pete's at 06C). Had dinner with Mari there a few years ago, it was a good time - Loved the piano-bar and live music!

Sutton County Steak House at Sonora is really good too.
So, how do you get there? I would like to visit the caverns again (haven't been since I was a kid, but highly recommended!!), but couldn't figure out any decent ground transportation options. Best idea I could find was landing in San Angelo and renting a car from there, but that's an hour away and sort of defeats the benefit of flying!

There is a good little cafe at the Caldwell, ID. airport. EUL . They have a great Ham steak breakfast there.

So, how do you get there? I would like to visit the caverns again (haven't been since I was a kid, but highly recommended!!), but couldn't figure out any decent ground transportation options. Best idea I could find was landing in San Angelo and renting a car from there, but that's an hour away and sort of defeats the benefit of flying!

I don't know about the caverns, but the steakhouse is right next to the airport. You used to be able to walk across the runway and they had an unlocked gate next to the restaurant, but I don't know if you can still do that. You might have to walk the long way around...

If you do rent a car down there, there is also a nice park/preserve area on the road just south of I10 from the airport with some hiking trails.

Butter Valley golf port in PA. Food is great and the runway is half turf half paved. Plus you get the challenge of landing while dodging golf carts!!

Definitely one of the top 3 airport restaurants I've ever seen (along with Final Approach at KSBM and Pilot Pete's at 06C). Had dinner with Mari there a few years ago, it was a good time - Loved the piano-bar and live music!
Haven't been to KAPA yet, but I certainly agree on the other two you mention. Kacy J's at Muncie IN (KMIE) is also good, and I've been told that CJ's at Bloomington IL (KBMI) is very good too.

Enriques in Ponca City, OK (they also have a HUGE fly in for their pancake breakfast on one saturday of the month)
Airport Steak House in Hutchinson, KS
Barnstormers in Norfolk, NE

I don't know about the caverns, but the steakhouse is right next to the airport. You used to be able to walk across the runway and they had an unlocked gate next to the restaurant, but I don't know if you can still do that. You might have to walk the long way around...

If you do rent a car down there, there is also a nice park/preserve area on the road just south of I10 from the airport with some hiking trails.
Ah! That's not what Google Maps indicates, but they aren't always right (actually shows the restaurant in an empty lot, in this case). Thanks for the tip about the hiking trails...I'll keep that in mind for the cooler parts of the year. Probably more fun in April than August!

Found a new one - with RIBS. Yum. At Merced airport, but they are only open for a few hours (something like 11am - 2:30pm). We were the only ones there, the 49ers game was on a big screen, and the ribs were HUGE and well priced.

"Hangar BBQ"
Merced Regional Airport
KMCE

Butter Valley golf port in PA. Food is great and the runway is half turf half paved. Plus you get the challenge of landing while dodging golf carts!!

+1000!
Love the challenge of landing on the short narrow runway.
And they usually pick you up at your plane for a golf cart-taxi
ride to the restaurant.

I have only had breakfast or lunch at these places, and none of them are fancy. But they get points in my book for being close to or on the transient ramp, friendly and unassuming, and having good prices on big portions (of good food).

Sky Manor Restaurant at N40... great breakfast buffet, windows looking out on the runway.

Light Wings Restaurant at KVAY... hearty breakfast, also windows... and last time I was there they had headsets at the window tables so you could listen to the CTAF (kinda cool, esp. for the kids). And an excellent, if small, museum a stone's throw away.

Flo's Airport Cafe at KCNO... not much of a view, but just the kind of not-quite-greasy-spoon diner that I like. Flew the Champ up there from San Diego, walked over to the restaurant, had a nice BLT on rye toast fries and a Coke at the counter, then strolled over to one of the best aviation museums in the country. I really need to do that again sometime.

Kealey's Kafe at KJVL... Wisconsin. Breakfast. Need I say more? Best winter flying "pit stop" I ever made.

Pilot Pete's at 06C... windows overlooking the ramp and runway, big place, good bar'n'grill food.

I should give a shout out to Charlie's at 1C5 (Bolingbrook, IL), too! Since it's my home airport, I never fly in there! It's a typical breakfast/lunch diner, but they have fish fries on Friday during the summer, IIRC. It's right on the ramp, and all the students for the flight school walk right in front of the windows on their way to their lessons!

I think the Airport Diner is the most over-rated cafe I have ever eaten in!
Just my opinion.

Crosswind Cafe at KLBX (Brazoria County / Texas Gulf Coast Regional / Angleton / Lake Jackson). Fresh ingredients, and good pies!

Nice little cafe at KVAY. Great rueben sandwich, good service, little airplanes hanging from the ceiling...

Not on field, but a golf cart drive away from the runway at stephenville, TX. Hard Eight bbq is pretty tasty and totally worth the $600 flight from austin. Aren't we crazy?

I wouldn't lift a finger for that cheesy site, but I'm always happy to help out my pals at POA. JPs at TZR has barbecue, the Prellwitz's were there and said it was OK (I wouldn't know any better). There is an on field restaurant at Urbana Grimes that is what you'd expect in an airport restaurant. Good pie. There is also a nice little Museum on field with a small aviation museum that houses a B17 restoration. Portsmouth also sports a diner with good pie.

I have only had breakfast or lunch at these places, and none of them are fancy. But they get points in my book for being close to or on the transient ramp, friendly and unassuming, and having good prices on big portions (of good food).

Sky Manor Restaurant at N40... great breakfast buffet, windows looking out on the runway.

I agree with what you said of Sky Manor. Turbo took me there on my last summer.

Runway Diner, KASH Nashua NH. Awesome food, view of the runway, outdoor seating during the warmer months.

Jims Flying Diner , 3B0, Southbridge MA.

If you're ever in Kansas City, you need to stop by Miami County airport (south of the city) K81 and get BarBQue. Very popular destination - always a lot of nice home-builts. And the self serve gas is cheap. Two weeks ago, it was $4.63 a gallon. The smoked brisket is killer!

If you're ever in Kansas City, you need to stop by Miami County airport (south of the city) K81 and get BarBQue. Very popular destination - always a lot of nice home-builts. And the self serve gas is cheap. Two weeks ago, it was $4.63 a gallon. The smoked brisket is killer!

MMMMM..... Homebuilts, home cooking and cheap gas.... my favorite trifecta..:yesnod::yesnod::happydance:.

Ben

Is that on the field? I swing by kansas city every now and then.

If that's the place that is connected to the Hangar Hotel, be warned: It is only open 3 out of 7 days per week.

We made the mistake of flying into Fredericksburg (from Iowa, back when we lived in Iowa City) on a Sunday afternoon, only to discover that the restaurant was closed -- and it remained closed for the duration of our stay. I was NOT happy.

The Hangar Hotel is at the airport, which is far from the city and other places to eat. Thankfully, we got the last rental car as the FBO was closing, or my family would have been eating vending machine candy for dinner that night and breakfast the next morning.

Colorado Pilots is having a flyin down there this summer. I proposed Amelia's Landing. Got outvoted.

No, I'm not planning on going - gotta save the $$$ for the trip to London.

The Perfect Landing, KAPA, Centennial, Colorado.
+1000

Not my home base, but 15 min drive from my house.

Weekend brunch.
The $12 dinner special on TWTh.
Incredible breakfasts.

And, you get to watch all the airplanes, and there's LOTS of them!

Colorado Pilots is having a flyin down there this summer. I proposed Amelia's Landing. Got outvoted.

No, I'm not planning on going - gotta save the $$$ for the trip to London.

Could still organize a Colorado/West PoA outing to Amelia's...

Could still organize a Colorado/West PoA outing to Amelia's...

We flew down to Mustang Island in 2008. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool.
Boring flight, but excellent destination.

We hopped in the water immediately after dropping our bags off at the condo (rented, not owned) it was like warm bath water.

+1000

Not my home base, but 15 min drive from my house.

Weekend brunch.
The $12 dinner special on TWTh.
Incredible breakfasts.

And, you get to watch all the airplanes, and there's LOTS of them!

Update....As of Jan 29, 2012, Perfect Landing will be open Sun & Mon from 5-10 pm for dinner. And, Sun - Thurs the $12 dinner special changes to the $10 dinner special! This is in addition to the regular dinner menu.

Back