Favorite Chili recipe

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
So, I make my chili with ground beef, tomato soup, kidney beans, some water, chili powder and onions. That is just the way I was taught. Not necessarily in that order btw. It is a mild chili.

What is your favorite chili/definition of chili?

I buy a whole tenderloin and trim it myself. The butchers always throw too much away because it takes more time to cut out all those small pieces that are stuck to, and imbedded in the fat and gristle. Those little bits add up to a bunch of great chili meat. The rest of the tenderloin goes into filets and chunks for shish-ka-bob.

Since I started the Paleo diet lately, and have been losing weight without hunger, reduced my blood pressure and cured a case of chronic "intestinal distress" (diarrhea) I have discontinued using beans. I have always used and liked beans in my chili, but I find I like it better without them.

Basically beef of some variety, onions, tomatoes (diced and paste), various types of ground chili powder, plus a couple of whole chili peppers chopped up (poblano, cayenne or whatever I have). I also mix in several seasonings, but I never know what I am going to use until I finish, but it will include some amounts of cumin, tumeric, oregano, garlic and anything else that seems good at the time. I don't spend too much time thinking about it or measuring it, so it makes it easy.

Sometimes, I will chop some mushrooms or celery, but like my chili to be mainly meat, tomatoes and chili peppers. If you have a few cans of Rotel it makes it easier to get the spices and heat right.

If it weren't for this darned global warming I would be cooking a pot today, but it is in the mid 70s here and I like chili in cold weather.

I've got some elk in the freezer that'll be in my next batch of chili. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chilis good, and so is barbecue. Ain't nothin finer than fandango stew

I made what I called "Italian Chili" once. Didn't go over well though. Meatballs I guess were a little too much. :dunno:

But yeah, kidney beans gotta be there. **** Texas!

Those that know me, know I have an extreme aversion to beans of any kind. I cringe when I see the words 'con carne' on the can. That means 'with beef.' No. It should be 'chili de carne.' Feel free to make 'chile de frijoles' if you want, but you're eating it yourself.

Not to brag, but I can make a damn good chili. Ill volunteer at the next meet up.

It's all about fandango stew.

And I only green egg now.

Green Egg = not fully committed to smoke whilst this needing something to grill on. I put them in the same category as a Spork.

Green Egg = not fully committed to smoke whilst this needing something to grill on. I put them in the same category as a Spork.

Fair point however don't rule it out. A spork is a useful tool.

In any event, a green egg can maintain 200 degrees for a day so some good slow cooking. It can also get to over 800 degrees which is awesome for hose big ribeyes.

But yeah, kidney beans gotta be there. **** Texas!

Someone get a rope! :p

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what some of you are proposing isn't chili. It's some sort of weird effing bean dip.

Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so lift up your leg and let one squeal

From the International Chili Society:

ORIGINAL SAN ANTONIO CHILI

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.

Three bean chili with hamburger and turkey burger mix,seasoning is secret.

I like to sub deer meat for beef.

I like jalapeño flavor, but to keep the heat down and have that flavor come through, I finely dice up green bell pepper and add it too.

I also throw in a small handful of whole peppercorns, to where you get a few per bowl/serving. It's a nice treat.

Also, if additional liquid is needed, I throw a Shiner Bock into the pot.

Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so lift up your leg and let one squeal

Oh gawd, I'm laughing my arse off Thomas!

A guy did that in high school. Got kicked out of class. Sounded like he was drilling a hole in the seat. Teacher yelled at us for laughing.

A guy did that in high school. Got kicked out of class. Sounded like he was drilling a hole in the seat. Teacher yelled at us for laughing.

Hmm we go to the same school, and class? :confused:

From the International Chili Society:

ORIGINAL SAN ANTONIO CHILI

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.
Sounds like stew with hot and spicy stuff added, making it a chili. lol

Also read that the roots of chili came from the cookies on the trail. When beef started to go bad, they used this method to cover up the taste and the coy boys liked it. So on chili day, it was actually rotten meat day!

Also read that the roots of chili came from the cookies on the trail. When beef started to go bad, they used this method to cover up the taste and the coy boys liked it. So on chili day, it was actually rotten meat day!
Although it sounds nasty, it sounds probable.

Yea, so? LOL
Chili poured over beans is ok. Got to have the differences in flavor. Good pot of pintos and a pot of chili makes a nice meal. It's like tamales on a bed of rice and smothered in chili,cheese and onions. :)

Chili poured over beans is ok. Got to have the differences in flavor. Good pot of pintos and a pot of chili makes a nice meal. It's like tamales on a bed of rice and smothered in chili,cheese and onions. :)
Ah, I understand where you are coming from now. Got it.

Hey look, a chili thread!

ground beef, pinto and kidney beans, diced tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic and chili powder both regular and hot.

Hey look, a chili thread!

ground beef, pinto and kidney beans, diced tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic and chili powder both regular and hot.

Yup I believe that's how my wife makes it. Gotta have beans.
Except in Texas apparently. :rolleyes:

Yup I believe that's how my wife makes it. Gotta have beans.
Except in Texas apparently. :rolleyes:
Can you imagine what would happen to the air quality if Texans started eating beans? :(

I've been to Texas. Drove through Midland and Odessa that smelled like oil. Drove though the various places with cattle stockyards too, so my answer is:

It might be an improvement. ;)

Last edited:
I've been to Texas. Drove through Midland and Odessa that smelled like oil. Drove though the various places with cattle stockyards to so my answer is:

BTST; Been there smelt that.

I've been to Texas. Drove through Midland and Odessa that smelled like oil. Drove though the various places with cattle stockyards too, so my answer is:

In the finest POA style: what you smelled in Midland and Odessalation was H2S, not oil.

Back