Fatal crash KSFB

old cfi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Old CFI
Reports differ on what actually happened but pilot was on first flight after restoration of his PA-12. Crashed alongside runway on takeoff. Pilot was only one on board.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

RIP

But first flight after restoration, just how current/proficient was the pilot will be a major issue.
Many home builders, restorers fail to fly for proficiency during the build process.

RIP

But first flight after restoration, just how current/proficient was the pilot will be a major issue.
Many home builders, restorers fail to fly for proficiency during the build process.
Excellent point!

My the pilot RIP :(

RIP

Based on some comments on Facebook, I got the impression he had more than one airplane and was pretty involved in the vintage/radial engine community.

Sad. I did my training at Sanford when there was still plenty of buildings that were left over from the Navy.

I'm far from an accident investigation expert, but this one seems a bit odd to me.

Sounds like he flew for Spirit, as well.

Aww bummer. I saw SFB and thought about Allegiant's base there. It sucks no matter what, but this has been a bad month for Spirit's pilot group.

I'm far from an accident investigation expert, but this one seems a bit odd to me.
I think there are just too few details yet to make much sense.

I've heard PA-12, EAB, flight control problem, run off the runway...etc.

Talked with someone from KSFB today at sun n fun. Says he rotated and the elevators went full up. Stalled and you know the rest.

I just saw a picture and name on Facebook. I'm pretty sure I had him as an instructor for recurrent training several years ago at SimCom. Condolences to his family.

Back