Fast Trip to Alabama- and Prize at the End!

Well...Until you figure out what the "Keep Alive" switch is...I'd just leave it on.

Did you wake up in the middle of the night....drive to the airport....and make sure she was ok last night?

OBTW, I figured out one set of switches about which I was uncertain: the "RMT XFER" on the panel select which nav/com will have its com frequencies flip-flopped with the button on the right horn of the yoke. I have to see if that is still hooked-up and, if so, if it works for the 430 and the Mark 12D. Neat, if so.

The remote ident button's handy, too.

Wow, Spike! I've been offline all weekend and I show up to see this! Congrats. What a beautiful plane. I can't wait to see her at Gaston's.

Look to the left of the HSI... STEC System 30 with Alt Hold

Aha! Very nice. :yes:

I think Aspen's new stuff is off-the-chart cool.

Amen to that! Spike turned me on to them, and now they're on the top of my drool-worthy list.

The most interesting part: A Sandel EHSI costs $11,000 plus installation, according to the Sandel guy I spoke with at AOPA. The most basic Aspen system with AI+DG is $5995, and the "Pro" version which basically has the Sandel plus electric AI/FD, GPSS, and much more is only $9995. Who would still buy a Sandel? :dunno:

Of course, if you went nuts replacing the entire 6-pack with Aspen stuff, it'd be $34,000 but you'd have triple-redundant ADAHRS which is something you can't get in a GA plane any other way right now.

Exciting stuff...

The most interesting part: A Sandel EHSI costs $11,000 plus installation, according to the Sandel guy I spoke with at AOPA. The most basic Aspen system with AI+DG is $5995, and the "Pro" version which basically has the Sandel plus electric AI/FD, GPSS, and much more is only $9995.
Add to that the Sandel electronic attitide indicator is north of $20K -- AND IT DOESN'T INCLUDE ADHRS! That's right, it still uses a mechanical gyro. Not included, by the way.

So, is there any reason why one (me) could not (some day...) get an Aspen Pro, and move the King HSI to secondary- or maybe even engineer-up a basic copilot-side panel?

So, is there any reason why one (me) could not (some day...) get an Aspen Pro, and move the King HSI to secondary- or maybe even engineer-up a basic copilot-side panel?

I was thinking ASI, Altimeter and HSI on the left three holes, and Aspen Pro and MFD in the center/right holes. You'd have to find someplace for that STEC, too... but now you have a fully redundant panel with the steam gauges in a normal scan window, not over on the right side of the panel.

EDIT: Whoops, you're panel is only two gauges high. I'll have to rethink that plan. Okay, here's what I'd do:

Move the altimeter down where the HI is now (by the electric attitude indicator). HSI to where the RMI is. Maybe swap the electric attitude and STEC. Now I have L-R, Top to Bottom, in the two left columns, full "partial panel" (glass goes dark):

Fuel flow / Airspeed
HSI / electric AI
STEC-turn coordinator / Altimeter

The center stack becomes the Aspen Pro, and the right stack becomes the Aspen MFD.

And I'd try hard to find a place for the RMI while I was at it.

It's sure fun spending your money! :)

Last edited:
Congrats, she's a sweet-looking bird.
I am confident you will be one of those nice Bo drivers...:D

I was thinking ASI, Altimeter and HSI on the left three holes, and Aspen Pro and MFD in the center/right holes. You'd have to find someplace for that STEC, too... but now you have a fully redundant panel with the steam gauges in a normal scan window, not over on the right side of the panel.

Hmm. Definitely pro/mfd in the center and right spots. Move AI, DG to copilot's side and move the HSI down to the backup DG spot (or swap the DG/HSI between copilot's side and current backup spot). Altimeter/VSI could move to the copilot side but I'd probably want to keep the altimeter within reach of the pilot somehow. I'd leave the ASI/TC in place, partly due to the autopilot functionality, but also to keep the brain in the 6-pack mode for flying other planes if the opportunity arises.

Spike, are the backup instruments just the old ones and still vacuum-powered, or are they electric?

Of course, part of the appeal (to me) of removing the gyros in favor of the Aspen stuff is to remove the maintenance expense associated with overhauling instruments and vacuum pumps...

And I'd try hard to find a place for the RMI while I was at it.

Definitely. :yes:

Of course, part of the appeal (to me) of removing the gyros in favor of the Aspen stuff is to remove the maintenance expense associated with overhauling instruments and vacuum pumps...
So, would one be allowed to remove the vacuum pump too if the Aspen unit is installed?

I have high hopes for them. Friend of mine has their first VSI/moving map/terrain unit installed in his plane and it's a nifty little gizmo....

-Rich

So, would one be allowed to remove the vacuum pump too if the Aspen unit is installed?
If you get one unit, you need backup instruments, and keeping the vac AI would probably be smart. If you get two or three, you have redundant ADAHRS and you can lose the "conventional" instruments entirely. The fact that both are electric is countered by battery backup.

Spike, are the backup instruments just the old ones and still vacuum-powered, or are they electric?

Both primary (HSI, AI) are all-electric, both backups (AI, DG) are air (pressure, not vacuum, in a Bo).

Definitely. :yes:

Electric=reliable, so I am a little-bit down that path anyway. THis is one of the things I found especially appealing about 92R.

Here is Spike's modified panel with the Aspen Evolution system (quick hack in Fireworks):

N7892R.jpg

Spike, you poor SOB, that's all messed up! Already you are wanting to spend the kid's lunch money on your new toy. Well done, good buddy! :D :yes:

And add me to the list for obligatory flight recipients. (please, purty please)

Here is Spike's modified panel with the Aspen Evolution system (quick hack in Fireworks):

Ha. That's great, Troy. Though...it looks as if he's already lost the gyro on the middle Aspen unit. It's a good thing he left all of those backups in place.

Most definitely jealous!
You beat me to it....again

Happy Times!

Ha. That's great, Troy. Though...it looks as if he's already lost the gyro on the middle Aspen unit. It's a good thing he left all of those backups in place.

That's funny... I didn't consider fixing all of the attitude indicators to show the same thing! :) Just pulled the screen shots off Aspens' site and tried to skew them to look somewhat correct on his panel. Perspective's a pain!

That's funny... I didn't consider fixing all of the attitude indicators to show the same thing! :) Just pulled the screen shots off Aspens' site and tried to skew them to look somewhat correct on his panel. Perspective's a pain!

I've been studying for my instrument written. I guess it's working. :yes:

Ooh, ooh, Troy. Do my panel next!!!:p

Attachments

• 040813 T41 9A1.JPG
    040813 T41 9A1.JPG
    551 KB · Views: 12
What is the "Keep Alive" switch? What would happen if you set it to "off"?:lightning: :lightning: :lightning:

My guess is that switch is connected to something/somethings (or was) that has a keep-alive circuit.

Some electronics have a "keep alive" circuit that draws just a LITTLE BIT of power/current to keep the memory intact. You take that off, you lose all your settings (ex: the radio pre-sets in your car).

My guess is he had a switch wired to interrupt that current if he was going to have the plane parked a long time (winter?) so as to avoid draining the battery needlessly.

Should be easy enough to verify--turn the switch OFF, then power up the avionics buss and see what doesn't remember it's last frequencies/settings.

Back