FAR 121.481 Flight time limits

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Is it assumed that only time flown under 121 is counted?

Paragraph (d) is pretty vague and seems to cover any "flying".

No pilot may fly more than 32 hours during any seven consecutive days, and each pilot must be relieved from all duty for at least 24 consecutive hours at least once during any seven consecutive days.

If you fly under part 91 for fun do those hours count against you under this reg? I'm just curious if there's guidance on this or an assumption, or what. It started from just wondering if flying on your own counted against your time limits.

Stupid connection here wouldn't let me edit it fast enough. Paragraphs A and B specifically reference scheduled flight hours, I don't think it would be wrong to assume (I know) that the rest of the paragraphs are intended to reference the same. Is there a rule that states you can't fly on your own in your off-duty time?

And if you're concerned when flying 121 there's usually this dude who has an office called "chief pilot" who can merge the regs and company policy together and tell ya exactly what you can do...

And if you're concerned when flying 121 there's usually this dude who has an office called "chief pilot" who can merge the regs and company policy together and tell ya exactly what you can do...
Not a chief pilot, nor did I stay in a holiday inn express last night, but...
§121.489 Flight time limitations: Other commercial flying.
No pilot that is employed as a pilot by a certificate holder conducting flag operations may do any other commercial flying if that commercial flying plus his flying in air transportation will exceed any flight time limitation in this part.

If you are employed by a 121 Op, their work rules may prohibit you from flight instructing . I have not heard of a prohibition on personal flying.

Part 121 passenger operations are now under 14 CFR 117 for flight time, rest, and duty limitations. Those regs in 121 only apply to all-cargo operations now.

I have no concerns, I'm not flying 121. I'm just curious.

121 operates under Supplemental, Domestic and Flag rules. Like mentioned earlier, Part 117 comes into play for passenger operations.

Pick your flavor and proceed from there.

So, can you fly 64 hours scheduled, if you fly under two different parts?

So, can you fly 64 hours scheduled, if you fly under two different parts?
Sure. You can fly your personal plane for 100 hours in the week and still be good for your 121 flying. Probably not the smartest idea, since you’ll be extremely tired and probably have to call in fatigued but there’s really no limits when you mix 91 and 121.

Sure. You can fly your personal plane for 100 hours in the week and still be good for your 121 flying. Probably not the smartest idea, since you’ll be extremely tired and probably have to call in fatigued but there’s really no limits when you mix 91 and 121.
Scheduled was the key word I was trying to get to. 32 hours instruction or tours or charter, whatever, and 32 hours commercial carriage.

Scheduled was the key word I was trying to get to. 32 hours instruction or tours or charter, whatever, and 32 hours commercial carriage.
Flying under 121 is governed by FAR 117 rest rules. No, you wouldn’t be able to fly for Netjets for 30 hours in 7 days while also flying for Delta for 30 hours in 7 days. However, you can fly skydivers or do aerial tours, etc (other 91 stuff) and it won’t count towards your limits. Most airlines have restrictions on outside commercial flying. My airline is pretty relaxed about it and as long as I don’t show up fatigued and it doesn’t interfere with my job, it will most likely get approved by a Chief Pilot

Last edited:
Back