Fancy Car or Cheap Plane?

I can't see spending more than about $40k on a car. No matter how much money I had. $100k for a car is crazy.

Well... To your original question, since this is PoA, get a plane dude!

Have a blast. Maybe find a partner for ownership, too. It will help defray ownership costs and keep some of that former bitcoin powder nice and dry.

If you have any interest in Bonanzas, join Beechtalk and ask over there. They use real names and, on balance, are generally more excited than jealous or snarky at the success of others.

There are good and bad in any group. I just think there's a little less hatin' over there :)

That kind of thinking will keep you in a ragged out Honda, in a lousy job until you drop over, broke. I'm referring to the basket weaving remark of course.

This site has lost its collective ability to weed out the trolls from the contributors.

For $50K each I could have a nice car and a plane, why put all you fun money in one basket?

Well then take your pick of what you want to do, fly a nice plane or drive a nice car. We can't help you with that decision, that's a personal choice. The only potential thing we could give you advice on is which would suit a certain use better. Since you're on an aviation board I'd suspect on a pure enjoyment basis, most people would say buy the plane, but that's a personal call only each individual can make for themselves.

As for already being in college and not knowing what deride means, hell, entrance standards at your college must be awfully low.

I know what deride means. I said idk what you mean by your question. I attempted to answer it based on the slight understanding I have of it.

I know what deride means. I said idk what you mean by your question. I attempted to answer it based on the slight understanding I have of it.

What's the difficulty you are having with "what do you want the machine to do for you?" You must have a reason for buying either or you wouldn't be asking the question. Why are you considering spending $100k on the GTR, What use would you put it to and what result would you be looking for? There's a dozen reasons, you already ruled out picking up girls. If you just want it to drive to school and around, ok, but it's not really the best choice. If you think it may be a long term investment in rarity, only time will tell. If you want something to take to the track and get your feet wet in racing, ok, but I can think of better that will give yo a better leg up into higher racing classes and a seat in a sponsored ride that would also still leave you money left over for an airplane. If you're looking for something that will get you from point A to B a couple hundred miles away quickly, you can't beat an airplane with any car reliably. If you want it to make the most people stroke your ego, then get the car. If you want something that will make you smile every time you see it and give you joy every time you get in and put the throttles up, get my 310. That's what I mean by "what do you want the machine to do for you?"

Last edited:
This site has lost its collective ability to weed out the trolls from the contributors.

No one really cares because telling other people what airplanes to buy is about all we do here.

Because if I got a car it would be the GTR. Therefore all 100k goes to one basket.

Have you priced insurance? Twenty years ago when I was your age I got offered a good deal on an almost new RX-7 I could've afforded the car but the insurance was unpalatable.

Because if I got a car it would be the GTR. Therefore all 100k goes to one basket.

Then buy the plane.

Buying a 100K car is high on the list of stupid things that a 20 year old can do. You can buy really great planes for far less, and every time you fly somewhere you will spend the day laughing at the people you see down there, with their 100K, candy-apple red pudmobiles stopped on the side of the highway with a 30K, plain black and white Crown Victoria stopped right behind them. :lol:

A DI at Paris island may have the answer for this seeker of truth. In fact it could be his only hope.

Pretty cool that you had the wherewithal at 16 to invest in bitcoins.

I read the whole thread. The question originally asked is totally immature which is why college might be the next step. 900 grand invested right now , if that's the amount, will barely keep the car and airplane going provided there is a nice home already in the cards, which will demand mortgage payments, up keep, repairs, lots of taxes as property taxes are out of sight now due to manufacturers having left the country. Stock market returns are not real great, savings account brings in nothing, etc. I'm only going by what has been offered. Complete picture unknown. Need Paul Harvey to ask for.....the rest of the story!

The guy who types in run-on sentences, filled with other people's talking points and not a single original idea, is recommending college. ;)

I think I've seen it all.

As usual I can also find no basis in fact for multiple claims in the post, as well. My property taxes, ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION, are significantly lower than my first house.

Just because the dollar isn't worth as much now, doesn't mean property taxes went higher. They haven't here. Where do you live Jimmy, and what year roughly did you purchase your first house?

That kind of thinking will keep you in a ragged out Honda, in a lousy job until you drop over, broke. I'm referring to the basket weaving remark of course.

Spend it on college, you might still end up driving a beat up Honda to a crappy job. At least if you buy a nice car, you have a nice car.

I have two degrees and would take the car in an instant if i could do it over.

Last edited:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1198055#post1198055

It's crazy how six months ago this guy asked how someone our age can afford a new plane, then suddenly becomes a millionaire from bitcoins and has the difficult problem of what should I do with all this money! Can we close this thread now please.

troll-troll-festival_o_828126.gif

$50k on the car, try the 8 cylinder mustang, then $50k on an airplane. Why choose?

As a fellow young person who made the same decision and went with the plane - if I could do it all over again I would buy the car. You will get way more girls - assuming that's what you're after. Mine turned into a maintenance boondoggle and soon we had $150k into a $100k airplane. If you buy a new GTR you don't need to worry about that.

You lose 20 30 percent off that car pretty quickly also do basically your paying 100k for 70k car

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: Ive been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have
taste. But Im not on anybodys "A" list, and Saturday night is the
loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes
yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this
morning, which tells me only one thing. Theres too many
self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!
Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener,
sir... Youd be a connoisseur.

Don't be a wiener, buy something with style that will hold it's value. And if racing is the goal, buy one that someone already dialed in and save a lot of money. If you go cheaper on the plane you can likely get a hell of a nice car as well.

I never needed a car to get snatch though, so you may want to get the GTR.

Great lines from a great movie !!

Do me a favor and look up bitcoin prices 6 months ago.

I just did (just out of curiosity), and on June 30th looks like the price was 97.51.
You could have sold that day and bought the (almost) 100k plane :goofy:
Not doing it was a great move!

Funny that the OP considers a. Nissan to be a "fancy car".

Not really that outstanding. I'm very diversified, very conservative with investments. Since 2006 have lost around 400 grand but still quite solvent. Lots of cat stock which is not doing great but will bounce back if we can ever start to repair road, bridges, etc. incidentally a lot of people helped me along the way. Air Force, GI bill, sold a lot of stuff to contractors doing business with the government. Etc. house, cars. Paid for, owe no one.

Back