Failure to maintain directional control in Texas drag racing incident

And this is not the first time that an exhibition drag race, not at a proper track, has killed spectators.

KERRVILLE, Texas — A driver lost control during a Texas drag racing event on an airport runway and slammed into a crowd of spectators, killing two children and injuring eight other people Saturday, authorities said.

A 6-year-old boy and an 8-year-old boy were killed in the crash Saturday afternoon at an event called “Airport Race Wars 2” at the Kerrville-Kerr County Airport, police said in a news release. The organized event was attended by thousands and involved drivers speeding down a runway as they competed for cash.

The driver “lost control and left the runway, crashing into parked vehicles and striking spectators who were observing the races,” Kerrville police said.

The injured victims were taken to various hospitals, including a 46-year-old woman who was listed in critical condition. The majority of the other injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, although the condition of a 26-year-old man was unknown, authorities said. A 4-year-old boy and a 3-month-old girl were taken to a hospital for precautionary evaluations.

Authorities did not immediately release the identities of the two children who were killed at the event about 60 miles northwest of San Antonio.

The Kerrville Convention and Visitors Bureau’s website promoted the event as an “action packed, family-friendly day” in which fans could watch the “fastest drag cars compete for over $8,000 in total prizes.”

Upwards of 3,500 people were in attendance, according to Louis Amestoy, a freelance journalist who was at the event.

The race was an eighth of a mile long, and water-filled plastic barriers lined the course. But Amestoy said they didn’t extend past the finish line, leaving no protection between spectators and cars as they were slowing down at the end of the race.

Spectators could get within about 15 feet of the track, and many watched the race from lawn chairs in the absence of stands. Organizers reminded people to stay in the grass and off the asphalt, Amestoy said.

The driver was nearing the end of the strip when the car veered off course, Amestoy said.

The race was organized by Ross Dunagan of Flyin’ Diesel Performance. An earlier iteration was held in March and attracted about 3,000 spectators and 150 cars, the Hill Country Community Journal reported.

“There were kids all over the place with funnel cakes and other things in their faces all day,” Dunagan told the Journal in March.

Dunagan — who owns the diesel vehicle repair business — shared a video on Facebook confirming the crash and asking for people to “please pray for everyone involved.”

Sad, was just flying out of there on Wednesday....they wanted some flybys from the local pilots before the race. The airport manager seemed like a really nice lady.

water-filled plastic barriers lined the course. But Amestoy said they didn’t extend past the finish line, leaving no protection between spectators and cars as they were slowing down at the end of the race.

Spectators could get within about 15 feet of the track, and many watched the race from lawn chairs in the absence of stands. Organizers reminded people to stay in the grass and off the asphalt, Amestoy said.

Before this hobby, I did track days with my motorcyle. Volunteered at several AMA races as a corner worker as well. I cant' imagine going to a race without the proper safety barriers, security to keep spectators separated from moving objects, protocols, all of the various controls that in place, etc.

I bet the FAA is pleased.

I would assume the airport has received federal grants in the last 20 years. In which case, allowing drag races on the runway is a violation of their grant assurances. They are definitely on the FAA's radar now.

I would assume the airport has received federal grants in the last 20 years. In which case, allowing drag races on the runway is a violation of their grant assurances. They are definitely on the FAA's radar now.

State too. Part of our $1M grant from Washington State was to disallow drag racing............Desert Aire M94 non NPIAS

The driver(s) should be held responsible for all injuries/deaths. Just like Alec Baldwin. They knew what they were doing was dangerous. ;)

The driver(s) should be held responsible for all injuries/deaths. Just like Alec Baldwin. They knew what they were doing was dangerous. ;)
Is your smiley to suggest that this post is sarcasm and the driver actually shouldn't be held responsible?

Is your smiley to suggest that this post is sarcasm and the driver actually shouldn't be held responsible?

Or does it mean that “what’s good for the goose is good for all animals, in all situations?” Or, that Alec Baldwin was only acting the part of a shooter, thereby physically going through the motions of pointing/shooting without intent to harm another, but the drivers were racing in earnest, and poor/inadequate handling of their weapon(s) resulted in negligent injuries and death? Or, that PoA is full of overly opinionated, high horse-ridin’ goofballs? ;) Could even mean that sometimes life just makes no sense, crazy things happen, and the best you can hope for is an aviation forum where you can set it all straight? ;)

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the city attorneys and other people would have looked at the legality of it.

You'd be surprised. They may not have even known the event was happening, and often times the city attorneys and managers don't know the ins and outs of FAA Grant Assurances. They simply don't understand what the FAA means when they says "Aeronautical Use" in the fine print.

Or does it mean that “what’s good for the goose is good for all animals, in all situations?” Or, that Alec Baldwin was only acting the part of a shooter, thereby physically going through the motions of pointing/shooting without intent to harm another, but the drivers were racing in earnest, and poor/inadequate handling of their weapon(s) resulted in negligent injuries and death? Or, that PoA is full of overly opinionated, high horse-ridin’ goofballs? ;) Could even mean that sometimes life just makes no sense, crazy things happen, and the best you can hope for is an aviation forum where you can set it all straight? ;)
I have no idea what it means. I didn't before this post, and I've even less now. But I do know that Baldwin and the driver (and others in each case) will indeed be held responsible for any negligence on their parts. Neither will be immune because of "going through the motions" or earnestness.

I really hate that they do this and wish the FAA would stop it, but they know it goes on and even approve the events.

wannaGOFAST - Texas 1/2 Mile Runway Shootout
wannaGOFAST.com is proud to present the Texas 1/2 Mile Shootout! This incredible 2-DAY event will be held at the Beautiful Sulphur Springs Airport (KSLR Facebook Page) in Sulphur Springs, TX. Come join us for 2 FULL DAYS of, side-by-side, HALF MILE racing at this rare and exclusive location. All of our participants will be given a chance to take their vehicle's Top Speed down Sulphur Spring's 5002ft runway and race door-to-door against the competitor of their choice!! See what it's finally like to race without the restrictions of speed limits, on what is basically your own private interstate in Central Texas!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airport Race Wars 2
An action packed, family-friendly day of all out No Prep Drag Racing.

Dunagan said he and his staff of four at his business started working with the airport manager and board, and the Federal Aviation Administration in March of 2020, when they first planned to hold the event early last October.

But there was a delay on the part of the FAA first, he said; and last fall’s event was postponed.

They tried again in early December, and were successful in getting FAA approval not just for the March 13 event, but an 18-month span that applies to about March of 2022. So they definitely plan to hold another event like this under that permit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NORTH TEXAS AIRSTRIP ATTACK
OCTOBER 16-17, 2021 · RACE #4
2021 will find Airstrip Attack coming to the city of Abilene for the first time. This event will be hosted on an incredibly wide and long runway, and we anticipate very fast trap speeds at this venue. Just outside of Dallas, we hope to see some of the fastest street cars in the country come and test their limit in Abilene.
SOUTH TEXAS AIRSTRIP ATTACK
JUNE 5-6, 2021 · RACE #3
Presented by North Park Chevrolet! 2021 marks our first event at the South Texas Regional Airport. This venue has a great runway and is a short drive from San Antonio and Houston. Make a trip of it and enjoy all that south Texas has to offer.
INDY AIRSTRIP ATTACK
AUGUST 14-15, 2021 · RACE #3
This will be our 6th year returning to Marion, Indiana for the Indy Airstrip Attack. The Marion Municipal Airport is a beautiful airport, with a dust free, and grippy runway. Many world records have fallen in Marion and the event continues to grow year after year. Just an hour away from Indianapolis, the city of Marion is the home of many of our ethanol partners, and we pride ourselves in working with them annually.
SOUTH TEXAS AIRSTRIP ATTACK
JUNE 5-6, 2021 · RACE #3
Presented by North Park Chevrolet! 2021 marks our first event at the South Texas Regional Airport. This venue has a great runway and is a short drive from San Antonio and Houston. Make a trip of it and enjoy all that south Texas has to offer.
KANSAS AIRSTRIP ATTACK
APRIL 17-18, 2021 · RACE #2
Airstrip Attack returns to Independence, Kansas for 2021! This is a beautiful small town, and the first and only half mile race in the region. Easily accessible from Oklahoma City and Kansas City, we’re very excited to see the cars in this area represent!
CALI AIRSTRIP ATTACK PRESENTED BY AROBAHN
APRIL 3-4, 2021 · RACE #1
Our 2021 Season begins with the California Airstrip Attack presented by arobahn. Located between Southern California and Northern California at the New Coalinga Municipal Airport.

I bet the FAA is pleased.
Talk about through the fence operations.

For years I worked at Old Dominion Speedway on Saturday nights and one day a month they would say they'd be going down to Lynchburg for the drag races. It wasn't until I was ferrying a 172 back up from Winston-Salem and landed at New London that I caught on. "You can't fool me. I work at a drag strip. This is a drag strip." I then realized that this was where in Lynchburg they were heading. I confirmed it with my boss a few days later.

One day Margy and I were out flying on Sunday and she said what should we do now. I said let's go over to New London and see how the drags are going. Margy flew 1000 AGL over the runway rocking her wings and I could see my boss down there waving back at me. The next week he asked if it was me. I told him it was. He said he thought so but his brother was having a fit thinking some pilot had missed the NOTAM and was going to attempt to land there.

Does look like this particular event was FAA approved, but given the liability the airport is about to be under as hosting such an event, the FAA may rethink that approval process.

The airport did receive grants. I believe this to be a case of non aviation types not knowing and the airport managers not being aviation type.

The airport did receive grants. I believe this to be a case of non aviation types not knowing and the airport managers not being aviation type.
They also say they had FAA approval. Not sure if this matters.

Yep, didn't read the other comments. Really surprised the FAA would allow it. We know know the outcome of promotions like this.

Yep, didn't read the other comments. Really surprised the FAA would allow it. We know know the outcome of promotions like this.
It’s not all negative. We need people coming to the airport. Flying has risks, so does car racing. Kerrville also has two runways, so it is conceivable that operations could continue on one runway while hosting such an event.

Back