Failing Bi-Annual review

Depends. Are you overdue for your FR? If not, you can continue to fly. If you feel that the CFI is just being a dick, then schedule a FR with another CFI. You're not married to the guy. If you do go to another CFI and that CFI also has issues, then you probably have some fundamental issues.

And here, I was going to suggest that you hadn't had a legal flight review because 61.56 specifies an hour of flight AND an hour of ground... But now I see there's an exception in 61.56(f) for a CFI getting a FIRC to not need the ground. Interesting, I didn't remember that. Did they change it when they started allowing CFI checkrides to count as a flight review?
I honestly don't know when they made the change or if had always been that way. I just know that since I've needed a flight review it was already in place.

And here, I was going to suggest that you hadn't had a legal flight review because 61.56 specifies an hour of flight AND an hour of ground... But now I see there's an exception in 61.56(f) for a CFI getting a FIRC to not need the ground. Interesting, I didn't remember that. Did they change it when they started allowing CFI checkrides to count as a flight review?
No. It's been around much longer than that. Not sure how far, but at least 22 years. It was there before the big 1997 Part 61 revision.

Last edited:
Holy crap! I was just joking about the logging question. Then I was gone for a couple of days and now we have a whole page on logging? That's hilarious!!!:rollercoaster:

A week later he killed himself in his airplane, attempting to land.
Not having flown with him, I don't feel like I can be hard on his case, because getting slow is one of those things that I thought would never happen to me. Then a week ago I was getting back from a local burger flight. Winds were about 30 knots with a small across component. On the final, I felt the airplane started wallowing. Sure enough I got slow. I let it settle for speed and added power to drag it in. Apparently, the winds were a little stronger than I'm used to, and my visual attitude information was off. I was also complacent in watching the airspeed. My first indication that something was amiss was the lack of stability in roll.

I attempted a Flight Review (BFR back then) on a guy who's father owned the aircraft upholstery shop on my home airport. He owned an A-36 Bonanza with the throwover yoke.

Most of us knew he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I felt sorry for him and told him I would accept the risk of the yoke and give him his Review.

After he nearly killed us bit by stalling the plane on short final, I took the controls and landed. I taxied off the runway and got out of the plane. I told him not to worry, I would find a ride home.

I walked to the shack and called a buddy, who picked me up. No cell phones back then.

I only looked at his logbook to make sure he was legal before the flight.

A week later he killed himself in his airplane, attempting to land.

By then several of us had reported him to his Dad and the Safety folks at the GADO (FSDO now).

:(

So looking back I'm sure you would of handle things differently ? Even if he was the sharpest tool maybe dual yoke ? None in the area to borrow ? Takes only about 5 minutes to put in mine gets well used. Sounds like the boy needed some good training...

Depends. Are you overdue for your FR? If not, you can continue to fly. If you feel that the CFI is just being a dick, then schedule a FR with another CFI. You're not married to the guy. If you do go to another CFI and that CFI also has issues, then you probably have some fundamental issues.

"You're not married to the guy" your just getting personal now ...maybe he is ?

You don't have to love the guy just defend him ! Oops wrong movie.

Back