FAF to MAP Speeds

Agree that plenty of controlled fields will clear multiple aircraft on approach at the same time. Don’t be a jerk and slow to 60-65 at the FAF. I had a YouTube star do that in front of me on approach to MSN.

Which YouTube star is that? I wasn't aware we had any around here.

And in the context of this thread, if 2500 feet of runway isn't "long", is recommend training and/or practice.

True...my point was, as I stated in a previous post, it shouldn't matter how long or short the runway is. You should be able to touch down in the proper spot from a 90-knot final in most any light GA airplane.

That really depends what you're flying. I can do 90 knots to minimums and land on 2500 feet in the Mooney, but it's at the edge of what I'd like to be doing.

I know I’m always one to argue, but are you just messing with me? Lol

Think I addressed that.

1 dot off / 3nm from the FAF

It’s how you’re phrasing it that was causing the confusion. If you say “1 dot off OR 3 nm from FAF” you could possibly be 1 dot off GS 40+ nm from the FAF which would be WAY too soon to slow down. He merely added to your statement “1 dot off / 3nm from FAF, whichever comes last” to clarify.

Short runway, Cirrus and 90 final do not mix well.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

This, Cirrus pushes no configuration changes below 500 agl, the approach is flown at 100 knots with 50% flaps. If you break out above 500 agl, pop in full flaps , slow and land. If you pop out below 500 AGL, no more flaps, slow to 50% flap landing speed and land, but your landing will be longer. Getting slowed from 100 to 85 (50% flap landing speed) is pretty easy by pulling the power, but I would be concerned with a 3,000 foot or shorter runway without full flaps and with anything over 80 knots. Even then, probably not.

Back