FAF Altitude?

I do brief and check NOTAMS for my intended destination prior to departure. But I also carry all the books for all the states I will overfly on my way to that destination. There are innumerable situations that could generate a deviation to an airport I had not planned on.

Let's say that happened to me while I was going by 1D2, and I asked ATC for the VOR-A approach. Would Detroit Approach be aware of !FDC 8/1204 1D2 FI/P CANTON-PLYMOUTH-METTETAL, PLYMOUTH, MI. VOR-A, AMDT 12 ? Would they advise me of it?

I'm guessing that when there are errors they are on seldom used approaches that the pilot would not normally brief prior to departure.
Ron's admonition is absolutely correct, but can one really do it?

I agree. Good thread.

Sorry I disappeared folks, I'm at SIMCOM and our plate is really full. Great job Ron. Wonderful to see discussions like this on here.

Best,

Dave

From one who is still trying to schedule his IR check ride, thanks to all who participated. This thread created a great discussion between me and my II.

If your initial IR instructor never told you, let me tell you all now -- missing an FDC NOTAM can get you killed.

Oh, he did, and YES, I check NOTAMS for changes to IAP's, ODPs, DPs and STARs for the airports I'm going to use.

I'll just be a little more ANAL about it now! :cheerswine:

Let's say that happened to me while I was going by 1D2, and I asked ATC for the VOR-A approach. Would Detroit Approach be aware of !FDC 8/1204 1D2 FI/P CANTON-PLYMOUTH-METTETAL, PLYMOUTH, MI. VOR-A, AMDT 12 ?
They should be, but...
Would they advise me of it?
...they don't unless something's OTS, not just a change in mins or procedural altitudes.
Ron's admonition is absolutely correct, but can one really do it?
You bet your life you can. Every DUATS briefing, and every "standard" FSS briefing for an IFR flight includes all relevant FDC NOTAMS. Same for the "approved" alternate methods like FltPlan.com and AOPA RTFP. And with the computer-based systems, that includes all airports along your planned route of flight, although FSS rarely gives any but departure, destination, and filed alternate unless you ask for them.

I'll add that the recent change making all notams D-Notams is welcome. Lots of information that just wasn't easily found earlier, and I find the new format easier to interpret.

They should be, but...
...they don't unless something's OTS, not just a change in mins or procedural altitudes.
You bet your life you can. Every DUATS briefing, and every "standard" FSS briefing for an IFR flight includes all relevant FDC NOTAMS. Same for the "approved" alternate methods like FltPlan.com and AOPA RTFP. And with the computer-based systems, that includes all airports along your planned route of flight, although FSS rarely gives any but departure, destination, and filed alternate unless you ask for them.
First, great thread!

Second, I'd guess that Lance's question is really "can one do it in the air", since it's impractical to get all the FDC's for all the intermediate airports (and possible alternates) from FSS when you call. As you note, they should give you your destination and alternate and any GPS/airway/etc. along your route, but not all intermediate stops. You could (and perhaps should) print out the entire briefing from the web sites you mention. When I do so, it comes out to 30 - 60 pages, so there is no way you're going to accurately write that down on a phone briefing in this lifetime. Around here, about three of those pages are dealing with O'Hare!

More practical would be to request them from FSS en route prior to requesting a change of destination.

In an emergency, would ATC have access to them to provide them over the radio?

Grant, thank you. That in fact was my question and my point.

Back