Facebook

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'm on it.

You know what to do.

If you are on there, you are awfully hard to find. Care to share the secret of how to find you?

If you are on there, you are awfully hard to find. Care to share the secret of how to find you?

Just type "Ed Frederick" in the search box at the top... but pick the first one in the results (Ed with his dog), not the second one. :yikes:

Just type "Ed Frederick" in the search box at the top... but pick the first one in the results (Ed with his dog), not the second one. :yikes:

Huh, that is what I did this morning and he didn't show up. Now he's there . . . spooky :yikes:

Facebook, I'm on it, I'm on it, I'm on it....

How do you interact with folks? Go find them, and write them a note?
I already have all their email addresses if I want to do that. How is it better?

Somewhere else to talk about boring Pipers Ed?

:D

How do you interact with folks? Go find them, and write them a note?
I already have all their email addresses if I want to do that. How is it better?

Biggest draw of Facebook, Dave, is that your friends post short updates about what they're doing, what's going on in their life. You can see all those updates at once, on one page, and comment or not. Email is between you and one other person (generally); Facebook content is shared (social) between you and all your friends.

oh, jeez! So all those msgs I sent weren't Private? Yikes!
Messages are private. Writing on someone's wall or commenting on an update on someones wall, or photo, or wahtever (any comment is not private).

So...messages = private .. comments = not private

Biggest draw of Facebook, Dave, is that your friends post short updates about what they're doing, what's going on in their life. You can see all those updates at once, on one page, and comment or not. Email is between you and one other person (generally); Facebook content is shared (social) between you and all your friends.

Kind of like POA. :D

Kind of like POA. :D

Sort of, but only your friends (not everyone) can see your comments on your wall, and the only people who can see you comments on freinds walls are freinds of your friend.

Actually, you can set it up so anyone and everyone can see your wall. I believe I am as public as possible.

Actually, you can set it up so anyone and everyone can see your wall. I believe I am as public as possible.

You can also set it up so that certain people can't see your wall, even among your friends.

What contingencies are available should the unimaginable happen and you...no longer want to be friends with someone?

...with fixed landing gear...

What contingencies are available should the unimaginable happen and you...no longer want to be friends with someone?

You can break friendships at any time. You just go to your friends list, find the offending party, and click "Break Friendship." If that's not enough, you can go to Settings, Privacy Settings, and then block someone. Usually blocking is reserved for ex-wives and the like. ;)

Facebook is kinda scary. In that area of "Suggestions", I saw Sharon. I don't know how she popped up there. I just joined and the only people I have as friends are local people I know and family. :dunno:

Facebook is kinda scary. In that area of "Suggestions", I saw Sharon. I don't know how she popped up there. I just joined and the only people I have as friends are local people I know and family. :dunno:
My SILs had something similar happen. My hypothesis is that at some pont someone gives permission to scan their address book, and those contacts are then used to look up all of the other facebook account holders.

My SILs had something similar happen. My hypothesis is that at some pont someone gives permission to scan their address book, and those contacts are then used to look up all of the other facebook account holders.

Sharon isn't in my address book. I have her email address, but its not in contacts.

Based on interests and any common friends. I believe it also may suggest someone as a friend if your email address was in their address book, or have been searched for etc. When I signed on, there were about 4 people I knew - and none of them were ever e-mailed from that computer, nor do I even have an address book. Once a couple people from here added me as a friend, almost everyone from here became a suggestion because of the common interests and mutual friends.

I still haven't figured out all the mysteries of how Facebook suggests friends. A lot of them are people who I have no idea how I might know, but interestingly most of the people it suggests now are other pilots. :)

Ed just can't stop finding new ways to meet other people who need to clean the trailing edges of their wings for bugs.

:D

I still haven't figured out all the mysteries of how Facebook suggests friends. A lot of them are people who I have no idea how I might know, but interestingly most of the people it suggests now are other pilots. :)
FB looks at you address book and at friends of friends.

all those fun little applets and add-ons that facebook tosses out there (and my daughter can't resist) have a little teeny fine print clause that says something to the effect "all your base are belong to us" and grabs your info from everywhere it can.

I seem to have two groups of friends on FB. There are the people from here and people from high school who I haven't communicated with in over 30 years. Those people had no idea where I was living, if I was living, or that I became a pilot, since I never expressed any interest in flying when I was a kid.

all those fun little applets and add-ons that facebook tosses out there (and my daughter can't resist) have a little teeny fine print clause that says something to the effect "all your base are belong to us" and grabs your info from everywhere it can.

Somewhat like the Borg and their collective, huh?

Back