Facebook

Somewhat like the Borg and their collective, huh?

Resistance is futile, but I'm still resisting! Just say NO to Facebook farms! and "How well do you know..." and ... facebook quiz and ...

Resistance is futile, but I'm still resisting! Just say NO to Facebook farms! and "How well do you know..." and ... facebook quiz and ...
Who really cares if "they" know what color you are?

I seem to have two groups of friends on FB. There are the people from here and people from high school who I haven't communicated with in over 30 years. Those people had no idea where I was living, if I was living, or that I became a pilot, since I never expressed any interest in flying when I was a kid.

Yeah, I've found similar. When I started on Facebook, it was when my college girlfriend had prodded me to since she wanted to put on there that we were dating. On the list of stupid things I've done because females have told me to, I figured that one was pretty benign. :)

Since then, I've regained contact with a lot of friends from high school and earlier who I'd lost touch with. The people who I communicate with the most on there these days, though, are definitely pilots. The funny thing is some of my family is on there, too. At my cousin's wedding this past weekend, another cousin's wife said "Your plane must really need an oil change!" since the past few status updates I'd had on Facebook were "My plane really needs an oil change."

My nephew just got started on facebook a couple days ago, his mom wouldn't let him unless she got an account too and access to his page. It didn't take but a day before there was some creepy-guy picture posted on his page that said things like "I like baseball, riding bikes, ..." His mom freaked. My nephew kept saying it was OK, the guy is a friend of his. That just made it worse. She finally was able to track down the guy. Turns out it really WAS a friend of his. The other kid said his mom won't let him post a picture of himself on the internet, so he used this other picture instead.

Since then, I've regained contact with a lot of friends from high school and earlier who I'd lost touch with. The people who I communicate with the most on there these days, though, are definitely pilots. The funny thing is some of my family is on there, too.
It would really be weird if my relatives were on there too but there's not much chance of that because they are not fans of the computer. For me, one of the most interesting parts was reconnecting with some people from HS. I realized what a lousy memory I have. Ever notice how some people can remember every detail about when they were a kid and some people remember nothing. I am in the latter class.

My nephew just got started on facebook a couple days ago, his mom wouldn't let him unless she got an account too and access to his page. It didn't take but a day before there was some creepy-guy picture posted on his page that said things like "I like baseball, riding bikes, ..." His mom freaked. My nephew kept saying it was OK, the guy is a friend of his. That just made it worse. She finally was able to track down the guy. Turns out it really WAS a friend of his. The other kid said his mom won't let him post a picture of himself on the internet, so he used this other picture instead.

Now that right there is funny! Protective parent freaks out another protective parent... :rofl:

Funny site about those types of things

http://myparentsjoinedfacebook.com/

It would really be weird if my relatives were on there too but there's not much chance of that because they are not fans of the computer. For me, one of the most interesting parts was reconnecting with some people from HS. I realized what a lousy memory I have. Ever notice how some people can remember every detail about when they were a kid and some people remember nothing. I am in the latter class.

Yeah, the problem with the family being on Facebook is I can't complain about them in my status updates anymore. Then again, I've been getting along with them better these days, so I suppose that's not such a big issue. :)

click "Break Friendship."

Is it obvious to the other person when you do this?
Ie the reams of emails notifying you of a change in your fb status.
Any chance for a quiet snipping of the ball and chain?
I have acquired some folks as friends and I vaguely know them....but don't dislike them per se - the main problem is their chattiness is plugging my um...wall? every day.

I have acquired some folks as friends and I vaguely know them....but don't dislike them per se - the main problem is their chattiness is plugging my um...wall? every day.

When you mouse over their status updates, a small "hide" menu should appear toward the right that will allow you to hide that person's status updates without breaking the friendship. :yes:

It's not obvious. The person doesn't receive any notification, and will only notice when they go looking for you on their friends list.

Kent's option works if you don't actually want to defriend the person, but just want their status updates and such removed from your page.

Based on interests and any common friends.

Yup.. common networks.. common interests.. same schools/colleges.. mutual friends.. I suspect its a composite score of commonality..

For your average high schooler its going to be people from their high school.. If you have a bunch of friends from college, it will recommend people who went to college the same time you did... If you are in a special interest group and friends with many of the members of that group, you will get suggestions for other group members..

Depends.. If they have 10 friends and suddenly have 9.. they will probably notice. If they have 500 friends and suddenly have 499, they most likely will not.

But.. no.. there is no email or formal notification to them letting them know you dropped them.

If you want to squelch them, you can block notifications, as others have mentioned

When you mouse over their status updates, a small "hide" menu should appear toward the right that will allow you to hide that person's status updates without breaking the friendship. :yes:

whoo, powerful. It's no one here, I swear!

I guess I should simply confront them and tell them to cool it or I will defriend them. I think it was a moment of weakness when I agreed. "agh! I have no 'friends!'"

Thanks Kent.

You're welcome! They also have a "hide this app" so that you don't have to see the stuff about somebody sending someone else flair, or what they did in Mafia Wars, but you can still see their regular updates. Unfortunately, there are so many apps that some of my friends that seem to do nothing but sit on Facebook and do quizzes and games have been blocked entirely. :yes: But, once in a while there's a new fad about an app that I couldn't care less about so I just block the app, and then it doesn't matter if ALL of my other friends decide to use it, I don't have to see it. :)

When you mouse over their status updates, a small "hide" menu should appear toward the right

I no see!
Is this on my homepage or theirs?
I see a Status Updates on my homepage but hovering over that only causes a box to pop up that says..."Status Updates" !

I'm not really into the "here's my life, check me out WORLD!" thing that the younger gen is into. Twitter? Don't get it. Facebook? I'm embarrassed to admit that 1) I'm on it, 2) I have 3 friends 3) one of my friends is my mother, 4) one of my friends is my brother's mother-in-law and 5) I said "yes" when my brother's mother in law asked to "friend" me. Pretty much the only reason I joined was to stalk people, and when I realized they have to ask you to "friend them" it lost all interest for me.

I no see!
Is this on my homepage or theirs?
I see a Status Updates on my homepage but hovering over that only causes a box to pop up that says..."Status Updates" !

On your home page - If you hover over one of your friends' status updates, you should see a little menu appear in the upper right of that status update that says "Hide". If you click that, it'll give you the option to hide that person or that app (if the update is from an app).

For example, in this first pic my pointer is hovering over Nick's update. See where it says "Hide" on the right?
attachment.php

But I don't want to hide Nick. I want to hide that stupid embalmer quiz that another friend took, so I hover over that and click Hide, and I get two options:
attachment.php

I choose the second option, to hide that app, and poof:
attachment.php

Gone. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Picture 35.png
    Picture 35.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 36.png
    Picture 36.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 34.png
    Picture 34.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Twitter? Don't get it.

Twitter has finally caught the attention of companies and individuals who have worthwhile things to say. Used to be a lot of utter crap on there (still is), but there's a lot more useful info now. I follow a couple of the local news stations, AvWeb, EAA, Craig Fuller (AOPA prez), etc. and get a lot of good info. I also follow some of my real-life friends just to keep up with what they're doing. Those that "tweet" excessively or write uninteresting crap, I un-follow.

It's really become a useful source of info, now that I have my feed set up the way I like it. And those of you who are on there, you can follow me @flyingcheezhead. :yes:

I've found no value in Facebook or twitter. MySpace is too scary. I'd opt out but apparently they don't let you (or I haven't drilled deep enough).
Social networking.... I get too much of that at work!

Got it.
On mine, you hover over their wallboard comment, the HIDE button appears. You click that and the HIDE XXX option appears which you must click to complete the task.

Twitter has finally caught the attention of companies and individuals who have worthwhile things to say.
I found out to my surprise that the company I work for is on Twitter. Wonder who's idea that was...

Back