FAA vs YouTube Posting

Old Arab proverb: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Maybe the FAA can use this very, very thin pretext to keep droners under control. I'd rather not bash into one.

Still, it is indeed a very slippery slope.

Wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago about FAA and youtube? I believe a bunch of people on here thought the FAA was too busy to worry about this. Looks like the FAA has plenty of time on their hands.

Basic rules of the century.....don't do noth'n stupid than post it on the internets.:nono::yikes::nono:

Because a hobby drone flyer with no FAA carts give a rats butt about the FAA :goofy:

I'm sure those FAA letters are ether file 13ed (if the FAA can even manage to track someone down based on a post, which is hard to do if someone even takes modest precautions), or, more likely they'll just post themselves laughing at the letters.

How about the FAA grow up and do its job, fix the 3rd class medical, help lower the cost to certify parts, do a handful of their useful stuff, then make hollow threats to 13 year olds.

Because a hobby drone flyer with no FAA carts give a rats butt about the FAA :goofy:

I'm sure those FAA letters are ether file 13ed (if the FAA can even manage to track someone down based on a post, which is hard to do if someone even takes modest precautions), or, more likely they'll just post themselves laughing at the letters.

How about the FAA grow up and do its job, fix the 3rd class medical, help lower the cost to certify parts, do a handful of their useful stuff, then make hollow threats to 13 year olds.

The FAA doesn't care if you have any certs or not. Admin law says they can fine you, as was the case with that guy who took it to court and won against the FAA with the drone. The FAA has appealed and it's still in the courts. Just because you don't have a cert to take away, or suspend, the FAA can still send you a civil fine, and if you don't pay, it'll be converted to a criminal doing, and if you still don't pay they can apply to have you arrested and jailed. Ahhh the beauty of 'crats making law.

Now, this case is a pretty thin way of applying the law, in what I would say is a tragicomic and tortured reading of civil procedure, but hey - it's the FAA, they're 'crats, what do you expect? BTW, when there is an advert for video clips uploaded to youtube, most of the time AFAIK the guy posting the clip gets no money from that. Of course, there are cases where there is commercial activity going on, but most of those little crawl ads gain nothing.

<edit: after reading the whole article, the dillweed actually admitted to the public that he was 'compensated' for one of his videos. He even complained that his payment was less than 1 dollar. Well, that's all it takes! >

Last edited:
Realistically drone people are about as concerned with the FAA as they are the FCC for their long range flying.

Oh no a fine!

And that's presuming they even find the person, beside let them drag enough 16 year olds into court and they'll just look like a joke.

This commercial use of sUAS technology is a very hot topic right now. The FAA issued an NPRM last month and it's currently in the comment phase. There will probably be a new class of airman certificate next year for commercial drone operators. Real estate, movie production, tower inspections, agriculture... It is going to be a huge new market and it's in everyone's best interest that drone pilots understand the national airspace system just like all the rest of us do.

The RIAA has made a good income from dragging thousands of kids into civil court and billing them many thousands of $$$$ for downloads. They aren't even a fed agency.

If people want to be stupid and post on the internet, then so be it.

A friend of mine recently got a non paid week off, and his Captain got terminated from his job with an airline because the Captain decided to do a YouTube video while in flight, and used the airline's name in the video.

Ron White said it best. "You can't fix stupid".

The RIAA has made a good income from dragging thousands of kids into civil court and billing them many thousands of $$$$ for downloads. They aren't even a fed agency.

First it was the RIAA/movie industry, second it was more of a big production and marketing campaign, the amount of "offenders" compared to the folks dragged into court was minimal.

Second, it made quite a bit of bad press, hurt Metallica and a few other bands, dragged a few college kids in and took them for all they were worth, probably cost them more than it saved, hence you don't hear about that stuff nearly as much now days. It also created more of a problem in piracy, the amount of ways to download movies now, compared to then, many fold.

First it was the RIAA/movie industry, second it was more of a big production and marketing campaign, the amount of "offenders" compared to the folks dragged into court was minimal.

Second, it made quite a bit of bad press, hurt Metallica and a few other bands, dragged a few college kids in and took them for all they were worth, probably cost them more than it saved, hence you don't hear about that stuff nearly as much now days. It also created more of a problem in piracy, the amount of ways to download movies now, compared to then, many fold.

First, RIAA is the trade group that represents the artists, and that's what I said, second few made it to court, and even fewer made it to criminal court, but thousands of people got demand letters. Lotsa college kids in east coast colleges. Thousands of them. Many paid up. My son got one, which he ignored and it went away, but a lot of them didn't go away.

Back to the FAA, go ahead and ignore the fine/cease letter from the FAA. Just - go right ahead. Have your checkbook handy.

First, RIAA is the trade group that represents the artists, and that's what I said, second few made it to court, and even fewer made it to criminal court, but thousands of people got demand letters. Lotsa college kids in east coast colleges. Thousands of them. Many paid up. My son got one, which he ignored and it went away, but a lot of them didn't go away.

Back to the FAA, go ahead and ignore the fine/cease letter from the FAA. Just - go right ahead. Have your checkbook handy.

I make my living flying, I'm not messing with drones.

As for the non aviation people, the FAA is impotent and the average citizen is far more concerned with a speeding ticket.

As for the non aviation people, the FAA is impotent and the average citizen is far more concerned with a speeding ticket.

That's probably why they're planning on coming up with a new airman certification for commercial UAV operators. They may not catch all the little guys, or even bother trying, but companies are already concerned about staying within the legal boundaries of UAV operation. There will be a lot of people making money in the new commercial UAV business and they'll want to stay out of trouble (to protect their certificates).

You think the average realtor or wedding photographer is keeping up with FAA rule making?

They'll just pick the cheapest guy, or stick with the guy they already use.

As for AG use, they already don't really like the Feds, doubt thell license a little drone to fly over their own field.

6096872828_766dc533bc.jpg

Maybe the Feds should just do their job and get the medical reform done like congress and most all the airmen told them to.

I've posted Youtube videos while flying a bugsmasher, and have had aerial photos I've taken published also. I guess I'm an outlaw now.

Going after some random guy who put up a Youtube and received nothing in return shows that the FAA law clerks are out of control.

Congress needs to step in and reigen in the power of government law clerks to write laws on post-it notes.

The FAA is now sending letters to drone hobbyists who post their videos on YouTube, with the argument that there are ads on YouTube, so anything posted there is "commercial".

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-says-you-cant-post-drone-videos-on-youtube

Fascinating. Taken a step further, does that mean you have to have a CPL to post your GoPro videos on YouTube?

Since the model aircraft lobby (I presume) got Congress to exempt non-commercial personal drone use from regulation, the FAA is apparently looking for any way it can to expand their jurisdiction.

You think the average realtor or wedding photographer is keeping up with FAA rule making?

I don't know what the average is, but an awful lot of them are. It's quite a big deal in real estate circles now.

Maybe the Feds should just do their job and get the medical reform done like congress and most all the airmen told them to.

We're all seeing more and more complaints about people flying quadcopters near airplanes. Certification won't bring that to a stop, but it will go a long way toward educating drone operators about the national airspace system. It's something that most are currently oblivious of. Most pilots don't want to see unregulated flight of "drones" because of the obvious safety issues.

With the price and simplicity to fly, no risk for the guy at the controls, quad copters are just a gene out of the bottle situation.

Luckly most do fly all thst high, the drone that concern me where I work are the gooberment DHS drones, way larger, way higher, and if one piles into me we all know that the government will just investigate itself and declare it did nothing wrong.

The FAA doesn't care if you have any certs or not. Admin law says they can fine you, as was the case with that guy who took it to court and won against the FAA with the drone. The FAA has appealed and it's still in the courts.
It's not. Actually never got to the courts. After the NTSB kicked out back to the ALJ they settled.

It's not. Actually never got to the courts. After the NTSB kicked out back to the ALJ they settled.

Oh cool. Sorry I didn't keep up with it. However, it could have gone to court without settlement. Also, it cost the kid money, plus lawyer I'm assuming. No pay = further trouble, cuz the feds have unlimited amount of money.

Back