FAA reworked the Aviation Instructor’s Handbook

Likely fits in with the testing document switch from PTS to ACS.

I too wish they had something summarizing the changes

On that document I think they would be well advised to throw it out and start over, hiring some people who actually know how to teach about instruction.

Do they still include pertinent info like the basic human need is to maintain and enhance the organized self? Inever could figure out exactly what that means, nor why it would be useful to an instructor.

There's good reason the FAA exempts real educations from their supposed fundamentals.

I'm disappointed that the nonsense about Left-Brain/Right-Brain and Myers-Briggs personality breakdown is still in there. This would've been the perfect opportunity to remove discredited theories. Oh well.

I'm disappointed that the nonsense about Left-Brain/Right-Brain and Myers-Briggs personality breakdown is still in there. This would've been the perfect opportunity to remove discredited theories. Oh well.
The people editing the book probably don’t know the theories have been discredited.

The people editing the book probably don’t know the theories have been discredited.
The Myers-Briggs was never "credited". It's always been little more than a party game.

I could never figure out if I was a Myers or a Briggs anyhow.

Some of the horsepoop has been replaced by more horsepoop. Much of Knowle's andragogy (other than the cool name) has been discredited, much by his own subsequent research. Social science isn't science no matter how much they pretend it to be. Much of the other stuff introduced as "fact" are highly contentious.

Of course the real pathetic part is that while they updated the handbook to the latest edubabble, the FOI test still requires parroting the old simplistic, disproved nonsense.

Last edited:
Of course the real pathetic part is that while they updated the handbook to the latest edubabble, the FOI test still requires parroting the old simplistic, disproved nonsense.

And most people end up learning it by rote, which they warn against.

Ahh good old arbitrary labels. What a great way to teach adults... Everybody needs a label.

The FAA switched to common core.

Steven Novella reports on studies that debunked the myth that there are learning styles. scientific evidence does not support the notion that different people have different inherent learning styles. Despite this fact, the concept remains popular, not only in popular culture but among educators.

I don’t know how they managed to make a book that used to take 18.2 MB and make it into a 291 MB monstrosity that isn’t even in a book format. But I managed to reduce the file size to 66.8 MB. You can download a copy on my website. https://touringmachine.com/PDFs-Txt/FAA-H-8083-9B.pdf

That would be good if they did, but unfortunately not this go around.
Oh yes, had some local feds quoting the airplane flying handbook from the 60’s during CFI rides, trying to bust guys on maneuvers that aren’t taught anymore.

Back