FAA Non-Approved Medications

mandm

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Have a buddy who wants to get into flying (as a hobby) but is currently on some medications that under the FAA medications list, the FAA approval part flat out says NO. Is this a no go, or would there be a chance jumping through some hoops if the condition (seizers) is under control and has been for over a decade. I did mention to do a consult with an AME but I wanted to know more about this and the direction it could go.

He's currently taking maintenance medication for seizures? Not an expert nor even stayed in Holiday Inn last night, but I'm confidently and respectfully offering "No, don't attempt this". Love to see other's get into flying, and Sport is legally open to him as long as he has a valid drivers license - but I might steer him away from even Sport with that condition. Are there perhaps things in the plane (propeller shadowing, noise, vibrations, air sickness/disorientation of inner ear, light, etc.) could trigger something, as well as the stress of learning a new skill, etc.?

I'd say no for sure to private, and recommend going up extensively with a competent instructor before attempting solo flight so he could get an idea of if there are any triggers while flying. How well are the seizures controlled by meds?

I would say the history of seizures in itself would be disqualifying, much less the medication. That is definitely a medical issue that could cause incapacitation.

I would say the history of seizures in itself would be disqualifying, much less the medication. That is definitely a medical issue that could cause incapacitation.

I guess my thought was if they are well-controlled, i.e. hasn't had any seizures at all since on this medication, than he might be okay flying as a Sport Pilot. If he's still having seizures despite being on meds, he really shouldn't be in the air at all.

the thing that saddens me about a case like this...and this is just an food for thought idea of remote possibility...but given how our healthcare system is so quick to write a script...
what if the guy never really had any big seizures but was prescribed the med as a prophylactic?... or maybe to treat some temporary cause for some minor ailment?.... maybe it was prescribed to treat something other than seizures?.....or maybe they found what caused the issue and took care of it and maybe the drug no longer applies but he and the docs are continuing the med as a "just in case" because it's doing no harm?

He had seizers at night while sleeping and they went untreated as they were unknown, this was as a younger adult. Once identified, and on meds, he has been seizer free for over 15 years! I read other forums that people would get off meds for a certain time, then be able to get a medical, but I am not sure what determines being off meds, and if the meds are working why try an unknown?

He has been in small aircraft a few times with no issues and even under windy and high workload conditions. He is also very technical and lives a pretty stress free life. I don’t think he would have seizers and I don’t think he would really want to fly alone much but being older it was a dream of his and I encouraged him to look into it.

I would bet the whining and chirping of a variometer could trigger a "seizer". My goodness, those things can be so annoying. I'd recommend he avoids gliders.

He might have a conversation with his treating physician and get his opinion. Sport Pilot would be legal, but it would be good to talk with the doctor to see if it’s advisable.

As he wants to fly as a hobby, Sport Pilot or ultralights would be the way to go as he would likely never get past the AME or OKC for a medical. That being said, there is a reason for the fact that seizures are a no-go as you don't want someone having a seizure while flying and crashing into a playground full of children. As a concerned citizen, I would be very concerned knowing someone with a history of seizures was flying around, especially over playgrounds full of children. However, I do not have any children and the last time I was at a playground full of children, the cops were called. But in my defense, there we some hot mammas there so I felt my presence was required. So I am not all that concerned after all... anymore. Sorry for the drift.

Anyways, as I said it is a concern, but if the seizures are under control and if one is only flying by themselves or with only one other person in a sport pilot authorized plane or ultralight, there is little overall risk. Think likelihood and severity matrix RBDM. If you do not know what I am talking about by that, google it. It might make you view certain decisions differently.

I would just recommend that the friend uses some risk mitigation techniques to reduce potential harm. So I would advise no turns around a point over playgrounds full of children. No matter how hot the mammas might be.

I would also recommend that he thinks long and hard about his flying goal and if he thinks it is worth the risk, not only to himself but to others as well. While the risk might be small, it is not nonexistent.

As a concerned citizen, I would be very concerned knowing someone with a history of seizures was flying around, especially over playgrounds full of children.

Are you as concerned about him driving near school crossings, businesses, other cars, bus stops, pedestrians,...? Because he can do that now, and it’s probably a greater risk.

Are you as concerned about him driving near school crossings, businesses, other cars, bus stops, pedestrians,...? Because he can do that now, and it’s probably a greater risk.

I know it varies by state, but I believe here in Iowa you can lose your license because of seizures, for just that reason. At least I knew one person that did.

I know it varies by state, but I believe here in Iowa you can lose your license because of seizures, for just that reason. At least I knew one person that did.

That’s true here, too, but it can be renewed after showing stability on meds. Not sure how long stability is needed.

But the OP says this guy has been seizure-free for 15 years. I assume he drives.

Family member had a seizure they wanted 6 months seizure free with meds, or without meds if it was a single event including letter from neurologist.

https://www.epilepsyiowa.org/resources/driving/https://www.epilepsyiowa.org/resources/driving/ according to this Iowa is the same as here 6 month Physicians report and recommendation.

Just wondering would he even be legal to go sport pilot since he is obviously aware of this particular condition he is being treated for, or does the sport pilot reg give the latitude to make his own judgement call on this? I mean a 1320 lb LSA flown into a playground kills you as bad a 172 flown into a playground.

Just wondering would he even be legal to go sport pilot since he is obviously aware of this particular condition he is being treated for, or does the sport pilot reg give the latitude to make his own judgement call on this? I mean a 1320 lb LSA flown into a playground kills you as bad a 172 flown into a playground.
Sport Pilot requires a valid driver’s license.

If the state deems him legal to drive the FAA says he is legal to fly. It's left to his judgment.

And a 3000lb vehicle crashing through a schoolyard does a bit of damage, too.

If the state deems him legal to drive the FAA says he is legal to fly. It's left to his judgment.

And a 3000lb vehicle crashing through a schoolyard does a bit of damage, too.

Strange, but true!

I think about that every time I'm out in our 18K lb. motorhome. No special license, certification, logbook endorsement or medical requirement for me to hop right in and tool about in it. What's even crazier is that ours is on the small size (30' Class A). There are folks out there with 37' gas rigs, and 40' diesel motorhomes!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back