FAA lengthens Medical certificate

I think it only applies if your under 40 right. There is no extension for folks 40 and over if I'm correct.

It applies if you were under 40 when you last got your examination, so you might be over 40 now and still have it apply.

My son is going to be pi***d. He's taking his 3rd class medical as I type this. His three years are up the end of the month, so he really had two more years to go.

Sweet, mine was due next month.

My son is going to be pi***d. He's taking his 3rd class medical as I type this. His three years are up the end of the month, so he really had two more years to go.

But now he'll be good for 5 years. I'll probably get one next May. That will set me up to be 39 and 11+ months when it comes due in 2014.

Sweet! I was 39 and 11 months when I got my last one (about 6 months early), so I get another two years!

I knew I should of got mine before I turned 40. I figured it really was not worth it for 1 year but for 3 years it would have been.

Woohoo! I'm good for another 4 years!

Of course, if I end up needing a 1st or 2nd class medical for other reasons (which at my rate may happen), I still have to go back.

Hmm, is a medical certificate voided when a new one is issued? For example, suppose I get a second-class medical when I'm 39. Then I get another when I'm 40. I then decide I'm not exercising commercial pilot privileges any longer. Could I use the old one until I'm 44 or am I stuck with the new one until I'm 42?

Hmm, is a medical certificate voided when a new one is issued? For example, suppose I get a second-class medical when I'm 39. Then I get another when I'm 40. I then decide I'm not exercising commercial pilot privileges any longer. Could I use the old one until I'm 44 or am I stuck with the new one until I'm 42?

You're stuck. It's from the date of your last medical certificate (which you got when you were 40).

Oh well, too little...too late. At least I get to watch the young whipper-snappers go to work each day :)

damned kids :rolleyes:

oh well, at least it's only $75

No kidding.... :rolleyes:

Given that I was 49 when I passed my PP check ride, this has no effect on me, either. Well, those young whippersnappers can enjoy it. A visit to the AME every other year isn't even a blip on the list of doctor visits these days. :( Enjoy it, kids.

So, if my current medical doesn't expire for another two years, can I get it renewed EARLIER than required to reset the date? I turn 40 in late January 2009. Can I go see the AME in early January 2009 (even though my current one is valid til 2011) and get a new one valid til 2014?

Here's a funny thought... who wants to bet it takes another eight years before the written exams are updated to match the now-current rules. :)

So, if my current medical doesn't expire for another two years, can I get it renewed EARLIER than required to reset the date? I turn 40 in late January 2009. Can I go see the AME in early January 2009 (even though my current one is valid til 2011) and get a new one valid til 2014?
I was thinking of the same scenario, not that it would apply to me any more.

> who wants to bet it takes another eight years before the written exams
> are updated to match the now-current rules. :)

"written"? :)

Yes, you can go in early.

Yup! That's what I did, back when it was only 3 years. So I only expected to come out about 6 months ahead. Now, of course, I came out 30 months ahead!

Back