FAA Investigation Form 8710-1

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I read once when the paperwork weighs the same as the airplane you are ready to fly. So, my CFI sent me the following form to complete before my PPL checkride.

"AIRMAN CERTIFICATE AND/OR RATING APPLICATION"
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8710-1.pdf

What kind of "investigation" does the FAA perform? I'm asking because when I hire someone, HR does an extensive investigation including a credit check, background check and even more if they require a Top type of clearance.

Any idea on what type of investigation the FAA will perform after I submit this form? I assume:

• Driving record
  • Criminal
  • National drug/pharmaceutical database
  • Phycian interview

Thanks in advance!

Jason

It's fairly self explanatory......

IOW, you are filling out this form for a FAA Airman Certificate. By doing so you are acknowledging the FAA will verify all information to be true, if it's not, then you have opened yourself up for an enforcement.

Last edited:
bend over and spread'em...the FAA is a bit anal about somethings....:D

it's just a check ride...

They don't check anything... it's just the form that affirms everything.

The CFI wants you to complete this?? Seriously? -double sigh-

This takes little time to do, and it's something that you two should do together. Primarily for accuracy and to make sure you are recording all of the logged time correctly. Just have your logbook handy, as well as any training records you kept, and the both of you go through to have it done.

And it's actually done/submitted online. See https://iacra.faa.gov/iacra/

That your CFI just handed it to you with minimal/no explanation causes to wonder about him. Every CFI I've worked with for a rating had completing this form as part of their routine and planning. Time was set aside and together we completed it.

The CFI wants you to complete this?? Seriously? -double sigh-

Just to clarify. I have no doubt the CFI will assist in completing the form. He was just prepping me on the next steps as well as understanding the associated Pilot Bill of Rights.

Just to clarify. I have no doubt the CFI will assist in completing the form. He was just prepping me on the next steps as well as understanding the associated Pilot Bill of Rights.

This PBOR notification is the FAA acting like a petulant child. The PBOR requires them to inform a pilot if he is the target of an enforcement investigation. So rather than doing that, they now call everything they do an 'investigation' and inform you of that fact. Was never intended to work that way.

TSA vets everyone with an airman's certificate. I can't find many details other than checking the applicant's name against the no-fly list.

From "Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Vetting of Airmen Certificates and General Aviation Airport Access and Security Procedures"

In 2007, FAA and TSA signed an interagency agreement establishing a continuous vetting process for all new and existing airman applicants and certificate holders, valid for 10 years. TSA subsequently revetted all airman certificates issued through October 2009. Since then, TSA has vetted both new FAA airman certificate applicants and holders on an ongoing basis. New applicants are vetted against the TSDB and new TSDB records are matched against current certificate holders to determine if new derogatory information exists.

TSA had vetted approximately 4 million individuals who hold FAA airman certificates. These individuals have been vetted a total of nearly 6.8 million times against the TSDB, including the No Fly and Selectee subset lists. The TSDB is the U.S. government’s consolidated watch list of all known or appropriately suspected terrorists. Among other things, TSA uses the No Fly and Selectee lists to identify individuals who are prohibited from boarding an aircraft or who are to receive additional physical screening before boarding an aircraft.

Bolding is mine. TSDB = Terrorist Screening Database

Last edited:
TSA vets everyone with an airman's certificate. I can't find many details other than checking the applicant's name against the no-fly list.

From "Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Vetting of Airmen Certificates and General Aviation Airport Access and Security Procedures"

In 2007, FAA and TSA signed an interagency agreement establishing a continuous vetting process for all new and existing airman applicants and certificate holders, valid for 10 years. TSA subsequently revetted all airman certificates issued through October 2009. Since then, TSA has vetted both new FAA airman certificate applicants and holders on an ongoing basis. New applicants are vetted against the TSDB and new TSDB records are matched against current certificate holders to determine if new derogatory information exists.

TSA had vetted approximately 4 million individuals who hold FAA airman certificates. These individuals have been vetted a total of nearly 6.8 million times against the TSDB, including the No Fly and Selectee subset lists. The TSDB is the U.S. government’s consolidated watch list of all known or appropriately suspected terrorists. Among other things, TSA uses the No Fly and Selectee lists to identify individuals who are prohibited from boarding an aircraft or who are to receive additional physical screening before boarding an aircraft.

Bolding is mine. TSDB = Terrorist Screening Database
Good to hear, Mr Geek. I'm curios how often the TSA "re-Vettes" airman, especially the airline guys.

This PBOR notification is the FAA acting like a petulant child. The PBOR requires them to inform a pilot if he is the target of an enforcement investigation. So rather than doing that, they now call everything they do an 'investigation' and inform you of that fact. Was never intended to work that way.
I think the FAA is just being cautious in its application of the PBoR.

Someone fills out an 8710-1 and puts in false information and then the NTSB or a Court decides the questionnaire is an "investigation" and terminates the falsification enforcement action.

Unrealistic? The scenario is from a real (pre-PBoR) case. And I would absolutely expect the PBoR notification argument to be made by the defense.

Overly cautious? Maybe. But why should the FAA have to spend tight budget money on appeals of the issue when it's so easy to avoid it?

Back