FAA enforcement action, never called me back?

J

JJL

Hey everyone,
A few years ago on my private pilot checkride there was an incident with landing without a clearance. I didn't get a warning from ATC, as a matter of fact they never even said a word to us about it on landing (I'm not even 100% sure this is what happened, the whole situation was very weird). I got a call from the FSDO a few months later, the inspector asked some general questions, said he would listen to the tapes and call me back (he originally said it would most likely result in informal counseling) . He never did. I haven't heard a word about it since. My question is, is this on my record/ will it show up when i go to apply for airlines/do I need to report this when I'm applying?

He probably determined that there was no action required, and just didn't bother calling you back. After "a few years" I'd forget it unless you hear something from the FAA.

Most important question: did you pass the checkride? :)

If you did, the DPE didn't see a problem and the FAA probably didn't either.

If you have to ask, don't ask us. Then again, if you don't know for certain then you shouldn't be guessing. Call the FSDO and ask about your record without mentioning any specific incident.

"private pilot checkride there was an incident with landing without a clearance" HOW THE HEJJ did that happen???

Hey everyone,
A few years ago on my private pilot checkride there was an incident with landing without a clearance. I didn't get a warning from ATC, as a matter of fact they never even said a word to us about it on landing (I'm not even 100% sure this is what happened, the whole situation was very weird). I got a call from the FSDO a few months later, the inspector asked some general questions, said he would listen to the tapes and call me back (he originally said it would most likely result in informal counseling) . He never did. I haven't heard a word about it since. My question is, is this on my record/ will it show up when i go to apply for airlines/do I need to report this when I'm applying?

You can get your record from FAA for a few dollars to check if you really want to know.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/copy_of_certification_records/

If you get an enforcement action from the FAA, you will know about it. Guy had it happen and said he must have got a dozen certified, signature required letters. Big deals like that require documentation that notices were sent, received, etc. It isn't going to be blindly put on your record without your knowledge.

Hey everyone,
A few years ago on my private pilot checkride there was an incident with landing without a clearance. ... My question is, is this on my record/ will it show up when i go to apply for airlines/do I need to report this when I'm applying?

1. Did you pass your PPL at that time or did this force a re-test? I'd guess a re-test would be more glaring.
2. I think they would've called if there was going to be anything "in your file" ....

I didnt pass the test, but it wasnt due to that, it was just a bad steep turn. That landing and all the others were marked as a pass. We actually didn't know if it was landing without a clearance or not, like I said ATC said nothing to us and the rental place just received a letter in the mail a couple months later. That was the only guess we had.

I don't follow this. What were the details? How did it come about that you (and, apparently, the DPE as well) thought they had cleared you to land but they hadn't?

I don't follow this. What were the details? How did it come about that you (and, apparently, the DPE as well) thought they had cleared you to land but they hadn't?

Confused a sequence with a clearance? It's an easy mistake to make in a crowded pattern with a ton of radio traffic.

What Gucci said: If there was any need for action, you'd know. Just move on and forget about it.

Confused a sequence with a clearance? It's an easy mistake to make in a crowded pattern with a ton of radio traffic.
The candidate maybe, but doesn't sound like the kind of mistake an examiner would make. "Make left downwind 31 behind the Cherokee, you're number 3" doesn't contain the words "cleared to land". I'm still scratching my head on this one.

If there was a landing without a clearance, then the examiner would be the one on the hot seat since he should have caught it.

More than 3 years ago? forgettaboutit

Seriously, if it was on your record you would know it was on your record. Dollars to donuts there is nothing.

Who do you call? Just the FSDO? You guys made me feel a lot better that there's nothing but a 100% certainty would be nice, I don't want to not report it on an airline app and have them see anything

Who do you call? Just the FSDO? You guys made me feel a lot better that there's nothing but a 100% certainty would be nice, I don't want to not report it on an airline app and have them see anything
As number have already mentioned, if there was something reportable on your record, you would know it. That's just the way the enforcement process works.

You asked what to report. Depending on the application, usually they ask for "violations." That's a process that usually begins with a "Letter of Investigation" but always involves a Notice of Proposed Certificate Action and a final Certificate Action, normally after a process that usually includes responses and conferences, and sometimes trials and appeals. And if, somehow, you had a Rip Van Winkle nap (or have been hiding your address) and accidentally missed all of that or ignored it, your certificates would probably all be revoked or you would have been hit with financial penalties for not surrendering your certificate.

But if you want to find out what is on your record, I wouldn't call a FSDO. All you get is what the duty guy of the day decides to look for. So, some day, you "lie" on an application and when called on the carpet, you say, "some guy at the FSDO told me there was nothing there." How does that sound?

If you are going to bother doing it, do it right. Link: Get Copies of Airman Certification Records

As number have already mentioned, if there was something reportable on your record, you would know it. That's just the way the enforcement process works.

You asked what to report. Depending on the application, usually they ask for "violations." That's a process that usually begins with a "Letter of Investigation" but always involves a Notice of Proposed Certificate Action and a final Certificate Action, normally after a process that usually includes responses and conferences, and sometimes trials and appeals. And if, somehow, you had a Rip Van Winkle nap (or have been hiding your address) and accidentally missed all of that or ignored it, your certificates would probably all be revoked or you would have been hit with financial penalties for not surrendering your certificate.

But if you want to find out what is on your record, I wouldn't call a FSDO. All you get is what the duty guy of the day decides to look for. So, some day, you "lie" on an application and when called on the carpet, you say, "some guy at the FSDO told me there was nothing there." How does that sound?

If you are going to bother doing it, do it right. Link: Get Copies of Airman Certification Records
I have the email of the FAA guy that does the priapism stuff... He will tell you instantly, preferably by email. Took about two hours to get a response. I know his name and email but I'm a bit hesitant to publicly post it. That said, with a little Internet research you could probably come up with it.

I have the email of the FAA guy that does the priapism stuff... He will tell you instantly, preferably by email. Took about two hours to get a response. I know his name and email but I'm a bit hesitant to publicly post it. That said, with a little Internet research you could probably come up with it.
I know some very good people at the FAA also but, for an official record that I am going to rely on, I prefer the formal channels.

Priapism? Uh, really? I had no idea the FAA was involved with that. What a bunch of dicks. I mean boners.

A DPE told me a story once about a student pilot who was out doing some solo pattern work leading up to his checkride. He got violated for an incursion (or something similar, exact issue is foggy) and was under investigation. He had his checkride, got his ticket, and a couple months later the FSDO called up the DPE to ask if he gave that guy a checkride. DPE checks his records, reads his notes, and the FSDO asks if they covered runway incursion avoidance during the checkride. DPE's notes indicate that they did, indeed, cover incursion avoidance. The FAA investigator says, "Thanks, I'll consider that appropriate counseling and consider this closed, no action necessary."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back