FAA Demand Letter - What to do?

MyDimeIsUp

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
‌‌
Hey all,

Back in 2020 you all and my HIMS AME helped me get my special issuance with a previous diagnosis of ADHD. The stipulations of the SI were that each year I got my 1st-class physical evaluation, I had to submit a note from my treating physician sitting that there were no updates regarding an ADHD diagnosis, and a note from a flight instructor demonstrating my ability to fly. Well COVID hit and then college plans changed (from aviation to computer science) since the cheapest (Uni. of North Dakota) was about $55k base + $15k/yr for flight training. In 2021 and 2022 when going in for my yearly physical, I would give the note from my treating physician and a note I wrote saying that I would submit a statement from a CFI once I eventually start flight training.

Out of the blue, I get a letter about 2 weeks ago from the FAA stating I must starting flight training and submit a letter from my CFI within 60 days or they will be revoking my SI and hence my 1st-class medical. After talking with family, the only real option would be to take a $45k - $55k loan out so I can go from PPL to CFI (where I can actually have some ROI and make money + build hours). Obviously I want to avoid this since that's quite a substantial loan.

I faxed a letter to the FAA stating my situation as a college student without a full-time job, the loan amount, and that I was planning on starting flight training once I graduated in 2025, obtaining a full-time job with a stable income, and then being able to submit a note from a CFI. I said if this isn't possible could I at least have 120 extra days to consult banks about rates, find a school, start training, and have a CFI write a good-enough note after getting to know me for some time.

I called Oklahoma City this pat Friday asking if they got my fax. Dave (shoutout to him; he's always answering the phone since I called every other day in 2020 to have my case prioritized) said that I could also just let my SI expire and when I'm ready in a couple of years, just resubmit the neuropsychological eval I took in 2020 and a note from my treating physician saying there haven't been any updates regarding an ADHD diagnosis. It may take a couple of months to reissue the SI but I shouldn't have any problems. Is this true?

Sorry for the long post, tried explaining my situation as best as I can. To sum up my question, is it best that I just bite the bullet, take the loans out and start flight training now since reobtaining my SI 2 - 4 years in the future will be a big pain, or is it not really that hard to reapply for an SI given I already satisfied the requirements for my SI back in 2020 (A neuropsychological eval)?

Thanks all

Flight training around here is $50 ~ $75 per hour for ground lessons.

Same rate in the air for the instructor but plus the plane.

Did the FAA stipulate that you had to commit to a multi-year long process at $55k base + $15k/yr?

Or did the FAA say to start flight training and to get a letter from your CFI?

I would venture a guess that flight training on a schedule which is (more or less) by the seat of your pants is not unheard of. One might even find it exceedingly common in certain areas.

Did the last medical certificate you received say "not valid for any certificate after XX/XX/XXXX"? If so, let that certificate expire (I presume it already has) and do not reapply or respond to the information request to the SI letter. You can still pursue BasicMed, and reapply later for a 1st class in the future if you decide to pursue commercial aviation. In the meantime, you can get your private, instrument, earn your commercial (but not exercise commercial privileges) and even instruct with BasicMed.

Flight training around here is $50 ~ $75 per hour for ground lessons.

Same rate in the air for the instructor but plus the plane.

Did the FAA stipulate that you had to commit to a multi-year long process at $55k base + $15k/yr?

Or did the FAA say to start flight training and to get a letter from your CFI?

I would venture a guess that flight training on a schedule which is (more or less) by the seat of your pants is not unheard of. One might even find it exceedingly common in certain areas.
They did not stipulate that I had to finish any type of license/certification. It simply says to provide a note from a CFI regarding my operational flight experience (implementing emergency procedures, ATC communication, aircraft controls, etc.)

The $55k base + $15k flight training /yr was for North Dakota, which is why we said screw the aviation degree, I'm going to get a computer science degree for about a 1/3rd the price at a local university. Local flight training around my uni for a PPL runs about $12k - $15k, and to get to CFI runs about $55k - $60k. I can only cover a couple thousand out of pocket.

Did the last medical certificate you received say "not valid for any certificate after XX/XX/XXXX"? If so, let that certificate expire (I presume it already has) and do not reapply or re spins to the information request to the SI letter. You can pursue BasicMed, and reapply later for a 1st class in the future if you decide to pursue commercial aviation. In the meantime, you can even instruct with BasicMed.
My medical does say "Not valid for any class after 3/31/2023". I could go BasicMed but I still wouldn't be flying and it seems like another circus act to get into BasicMed just to leave it again to go back to 1st-class. Goal is airline pilot/corporate pilot so 1st-class is required and I can't be on BasicMed forever. My only worry is what is the process to get back to 1st-class given I need an SI. Getting into BasicMed seems somewhat easy, but how hard is it to convert back to a full 1st-class?

Local flight training around my uni for a PPL runs about $12k - $15k, and to get to CFI runs about $55k - $60k. I can only cover a couple thousand out of pocket.
I would argue you and the FAA are talking about two different things.

The FAA said "flight training".

You are talking about projected costs to reach certain milestones.

It simply says to provide a note from a CFI regarding my operational flight experience (implementing emergency procedures, ATC communication, aircraft controls, etc.)
This is pretty basic stuff. The FAA is not asking you to obtain a particular certificate or rating.

My medical does say "Not valid for any class after 3/31/2023". I could go BasicMed but I still wouldn't be flying and it seems like another circus act to get into BasicMed just to leave it again to go back to 1st-class. Goal is airline pilot/corporate pilot so 1st-class is required and I can't be on BasicMed forever. My only worry is what is the process to get back to 1st-class given I need an SI. Getting into BasicMed seems somewhat easy, but how hard is it to convert back to a full 1st-class?
I just edited my post. You can stay BasicMed right on up until you're ready to be hired for the airlines.

I would argue you and the FAA are talking about two different things.

The FAA said "flight training".

You are talking about projected costs to reach certain milestones.
Definitely true. I mentioned this in the letter I faxed to the FAA. While the demand letter just asks for a note from a CFI regarding my operation experience, there is no mention of whether I need to complete a PPL or simply can submit a letter from a CFI and stop mid-way through. Either way, in my letter I said "The best plan right now would be for me to work from my PPL to CFI so I can make money while training students while also being proficient with my skills, not just in compliance if I only had my PPL. This however would require me to take out around a $45,000 - $55,000 loan while I am still a sophomore in college." If I just get my PPL, I would have to continue paying money just to fly so I stay ontop of my skills, of which that money would start to dry out given how often I should be flying to stay proficient. By blasting to CFI, I can ensure that I am proficient and not merely just in compliance; if you can teach the material you usually know the material and you even learn with the student I imagine.

While the demand letter just asks for a note from a CFI regarding my operation experience, there is no mention of ...
There is no end to the list of items for which the FAA did NOT mention.
My suggestion would be to FOCUS on what the FAA actually ASKED for.
Or not. Ultimately it is always your choice how to proceed.

If you’re not exercising the privileges of the certificate, then let it lapse. Or go find a local CFI who’s willing to write the statement for you after a few flights.

Brad's suggestion to go BasicMed seems like a viable one but the question that still remains is: what is the process to get back to 1st-class and get my SI again? My main concern with any decision I make that doesn't involve flight training at this immediate moment (basic med/letting the SI expire and lapse) is how hard is it to get back on SI with a 1st-class medical after I let my SI expire? I can't seem to find much if anything online regarding reobtaining an SI after letting it expire or switching to BasicMed.

In the future, I'd strongly recommend not firing off random letters to the FAA regarding certificates or medicals without first consulting with someone (ideally a lawyer, but at the very least, get come opinions from here). What you may think is just an innocent "explanation" may be interpreted or used by the FAA in another manner.

In this situation, the easiest solution was probably to simply spend a little $$ to go up with a CFI and then submit the bare minimum statement the FAA asked for.

What you do not want is the FAA to revoke your medical; that's bad. Letting it expire is fine, revocation isn't. Actual revocation of your medical makes you ineligible for Basicmed. If the FAA reads whatever letter you faxed them to mean you're not going to comply with the demands, the FAA may just revoke your medical based on your own statement of intention.

In the future, I'd strongly recommend not firing off random letters to the FAA regarding certificates or medicals without first consulting with someone (ideally a lawyer, but at the very least, get come opinions from here). What you may think is just an innocent "explanation" may be interpreted or used by the FAA in another manner.

In this situation, the easiest solution was probably to simply spend a little $$ to go up with a CFI and then submit the bare minimum statement the FAA asked for.

What you do not want is the FAA to revoke your medical; that's bad. Letting it expire is fine, revocation isn't. Actual revocation of your medical makes you ineligible for Basicmed. If the FAA reads whatever letter you faxed them to mean you're not going to comply with the demands, the FAA may just revoke your medical based on your own statement of intention.
This was something I definitely took into account given it is the FAA after all. Given the letter was mailed on the 9th and I received it around February 18th, I'm working on limited time since they are on a 3-week backlog on scanning faxes/documents into their system, so I felt I really didn't have much time to consult with a lawyer or whoever. I figured writing this letter would do no harm, especially since I made sure to say "If [an extension until 2025] is not possible, would it still be possible to request a 120-day extension to provide this note from a CFI so I can obtain financial advice, obtain a personal loan, and start flight training and get to know a flight instructor that would be able to write the note as specified in the demand letter I received?" Though with the idea of going BasicMed floating around now, I can see how this letter may have been premature. I just feel like I'm fighting the clock with the FAA given how backlogged they are and only being given 60 days to get this note faxed/mailed to them.

If I may:

- You have a current SI for ADHD. (Congrats, btw) From what I've been reading, that is VERY VERY hard to achieve.
- If you let it lapse, who is to say you'll get the same consideration next time?
- I would say that in your situation, spend the money NOW to get time w/ a CFI who can write you a letter (Yep, MyDimeIsUp, is flying and progressing as expected)
- This will give you a year of leeway to sort out how to proceed further

So, while I greatly respect Brad's opinion, in this case I would probably do everything I could to protect my SI as it is a rare bird for ADHD and I would not be comfortable thinking that "Well, it was granted once, they'll grant it again"

Either way you go, do keep us updated.

have to agree with brad. no such thing as doing no harm. . it certainly wasnt going to benefit you. But I think you are misinterpreting the faa and what you are reading in to it. You are reading CFI or ATP or whatever and all they have asked for is a simple testimonial from a CFI. if you cant be honest and do some ground school with the CFI and have them issue a simple testimonial - then you are in some trouble. . .

but seriously - im not sure I would let it lapse. I dont believe you can resubmit that neuro eval again and just "resume". my guess is they will want you to start over and do it over again - which will incur that same cost for you again. . .

but yes, you need to stop with all the communication with the faa. you either comply with what they are asking or you dont. Everything else is you thinking they will bend or do something different - they wont. And the stipulations they are requiring is absurdly easy to maintain that 1st class with your dx. . . not sure why you are having an issue complying with it.

not sure why you are having an issue complying with it.
What I read from the letter was that I must receive a full certification/license (that being my PPL since I currently have none). I presume it would seem very cheeky to simply do enough training to have a note to send the FAA, and then immediately stop training. I worry the FAA would see that and think I am doing the absolute bare minimum to keep a medical active, then send another letter telling me to actually complete training or just outright revoke my medical since I didn't comply with the demands in the current letter I have. So I interpret the letter as I must complete a license/certification, not merely do ground school and in-air flight for 12 hours.

As to why "not sure why you are having an issue complying with it", given how I interpret the letter as needing to complete a certification/license, just getting a PPL doesn't make sense. Getting to CFI ensures I will be proficient in my skills given I'd be flight instructing. Its either take a $9k loan out for PPL, get my PPL, then spend money out of pocket to just fly without gaining new certs merely to stay proficient as I fly for an hour every week/2 times a week, or take a larger loan out which ensures that by getting to CFI I build hours, make money while instructing, and ensure I am always practicing the skills I've learned multiple times per week; an ROI of sorts but with a larger investment. The money is why I have such a large issue with the letter given how I interpret it. Us being a middle-class family with me being in college and my younger brother soon approaching college/technical school puts a large financial strain that I was planning to have sorted out by going into software engineering when I graduate.

What I read from the letter was that I must receive a full certification/license (that being my PPL since I currently have none). I presume it would seem very cheeky to simply do enough training to have a note to send the FAA, and then immediately stop training. I worry the FAA would see that and think I am doing the absolute bare minimum to keep a medical active, then send another letter telling me to actually complete training or just outright revoke my medical since I didn't comply with the demands in the current letter I have. So I interpret the letter as I must complete a license/certification, not merely do ground school and in-air flight for 12 hours.

As to why "not sure why you are having an issue complying with it", given how I interpret the letter as needing to complete a certification/license, just getting a PPL doesn't make sense. Getting to CFI ensures I will be proficient in my skills given I'd be flight instructing. Its either take a $9k loan out for PPL, get my PPL, then spend money out of pocket to just fly without gaining new certs merely to stay proficient as I fly for an hour every week/2 times a week, or take a larger loan out which ensures that by getting to CFI I build hours, make money while instructing, and ensure I am always practicing the skills I've learned multiple times per week; an ROI of sorts but with a larger investment. The money is why I have such a large issue with the letter given how I interpret it. Us being a middle-class family with me being in college and my younger brother soon approaching college/technical school puts a large financial strain that I was planning to have sorted out by going into software engineering when I graduate.

let me put it as simply as I can - you are way off base. they never wrote you habe to get your ppl or any other cert. You are reading between the lines that aren’t there and conjuring up scenarios that the FAA has never intended and don’t exist. Delusional comes to mind. Why don’t you go even further - oh they are demanding atp and you have to be working for the airline and flying every day for them and get the head flight instructor of a legacy airline to sign off before they will renew your medical. Wow….. I might be wrong, but I don’t believe the FAA has ever nor will ever demand that you have to go from student to cfi before they will renew your medical certificate.

they have written exactly what they want. Follow it to the letter to comply. You are already out of compliance. Loans and whatever else has nothing to do with this. Stop conflating the two. And stop making stuff up and stop making excuses up. This is absurdly easy and you are coming up with wild and crazy scenarios to justify something…. Are you reading and understanding what you are typing ?

The $55k base + $15k flight training /yr was for North Dakota, which is why we said screw the aviation degree, I'm going to get a computer science degree for about a 1/3rd the price at a local university. Local flight training around my uni for a PPL runs about $12k - $15k, and to get to CFI runs about $55k - $60k. I can only cover a couple thousand out of pocket.
Medical issues aside, I think this is a wise decision. An "aviation" degree really doesn't prepare you for a fallback career if you can't fly for any reason. And employers care about hours, not how fancy the flight school was.
what is the process to get back to 1st-class and get my SI again?
You contact the HIMS AME who helped you the first time. Actually, it might not be a bad idea to contact him now and get his take on the situation. Bottom line is you didn't comply with the original terms of the SI (submitting reports from a CFI), so they're giving you a chance to comply before they revoke it. All they really want is a CFI saying, in effect, "He's learning well and and is not impaired by ADHD."

But there's no reason why you can't start your flight training now, as you can afford it. You don't have to pay for it all up front.

let me put it as simply as I can - you are way off base. they never wrote you habe to get your ppl or any other cert. You are reading between the lines that aren’t there and conjuring up scenarios that the FAA has never intended and don’t exist. Delusional comes to mind. Why don’t you go even further - oh they are demanding atp and you have to be working for the airline and flying every day for them and get the head flight instructor of a legacy airline to sign off before they will renew your medical. Wow….. I might be wrong, but I don’t believe the FAA has ever nor will ever demand that you have to go from student to cfi before they will renew your medical certificate.

they have written exactly what they want. Follow it to the letter to comply. You are already out of compliance. Loans and whatever else has nothing to do with this. Stop conflating the two. And stop making stuff up and stop making excuses up. This is absurdly easy and you are coming up with wild and crazy scenarios to justify something…. Are you reading and understanding what you are typing ?
I think you are misunderstanding my post. I am simply stating if they are requiring me to submit a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert, then yes only getting a PPL is fine. However if I'm required to submit this note and get a PPL then personally I'd want to go as high as CFI at that point. Am I ruling out the possibility I can do minimal training, just enough to get a note from a CFI and then just not complete my PPL for another 2 - 4 years? No I'm not ruling it out, but I'd be surprised if the FAA doesn't find that odd in any way.

Also not to sound too aggressive, but I think calling me/what I'm interpreting as "delusional" is a little strong. This is the FAA after all, and I wouldn't be surprised if by asking for a note from a CFI there is also the expectation that you would at least have a PPL to go along with this note. The posts on this subforum alone with how the FAA throws people through the wringer doesn't instill much confidence that doing minimal training for a CFI note and then not completing my training would be satisfactory for the FAA.

Medical issues aside, I think this is a wise decision. An "aviation" degree really doesn't prepare you for a fallback career if you can't fly for any reason. And employers care about hours, not how fancy the flight school was.

You contact the HIMS AME who helped you the first time. Actually, it might not be a bad idea to contact him now and get his take on the situation. Bottom line is you didn't comply with the original terms of the SI (submitting reports from a CFI), so they're giving you a chance to comply before they revoke it.

But there's no reason why you can't start your flight training now, as you can afford it. You don't have to pay for it all up front.
The amount of jokes I've heard from pilots I've talked to about ER and UND pilots really doesn't give "prestige" to them, and they reiterated the same thing of "hours, hours, hours".

I reached out to my HIMS AME who said honestly it is a mixed bag. My SI could expire/lapse and when I reapply it could be the whole circus act over again with a new neuropsych eval or it could just be to resubmit my neuropsych eval from 2020 and that will be satisfactory enough + who knows how much more short staffed OKC will be in 2 - 4 years.

I don't have to pay for all my flight training at once like you said; I've heard it's very bad to pay upfront for any flight school. However multiple installments of personal loans at whatever interest rate they are from when I take them out for each license/cert would get pretty expensive. I figure it's best to just take one large loan out at a single interest rate and blast through to CFI. That'll keep me busy until I can pursue CFI-I and MEL.

Also concurred on the original terms of the SI. My HIMS AME and I both thought that it would be satisfactory since they never came back and just revoked my medical for the past 2 years, however it seems unfortunately it wasn't satisfactory and it's something I own that I did not comply with the terms.

…I am simply stating if they are requiring me to submit a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert, then yes only getting a PPL is fine...

Verbatim, what does the demand letter say re: CFI note?

I think you are misunderstanding my post. I am simply stating if they are requiring me to submit a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert, then yes only getting a PPL is fine. However if I'm required to submit this note and get a PPL then personally I'd want to go as high as CFI at that point. Am I ruling out the possibility I can do minimal training, just enough to get a note from a CFI and then just not complete my PPL for another 2 - 4 years? No I'm not ruling it out, but I'd be surprised if the FAA doesn't find that odd in any way.

Also not to sound too aggressive, but I think calling me/what I'm interpreting as "delusional" is a little strong. This is the FAA after all, and I wouldn't be surprised if by asking for a note from a CFI there is also the expectation that you would at least have a PPL to go along with this note. The posts on this subforum alone with how the FAA throws people through the wringer doesn't instill much confidence that doing minimal training for a CFI note and then not completing my training would be satisfactory for the FAA.

No you are delusional and still are. This is what you wrote - so take it at face value and nothing more "and a note from a flight instructor demonstrating my ability to fly". it doesnt say "a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert" which you just wrote again. it doesnt say "a note from a cfi that this person is now a cfi", it doesnt say "a note from a CFI that requires me to be ATP" or anything else. it doesnt even say "a note saying this person has soloed" or anything else. there is no implications. you are making stuff up. i dont think anyone else in here reading that line has ever heard the faa saying you have to reach cfi to maintain your medical. your interpretation is wrong. period. i guarantee you if you ask your hims doc for his interpretation it wont be - oh you should have be a cfi before they will reissue.. . .

…I am simply stating if they are requiring me to submit a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert, then yes only getting a PPL is fine...

But they arent saying that. you are saying that. and ppl is still not cfi. and they havent said ppl either

Verbatim, what does the demand letter say re: CFI note?
I definitely should have posted this in my OP, apologies about that:

You are requested to provide the following information within 60 days for FAA review:
"An assessment and statement from an instructor pilot. This assessment should address operational flight experience (ability to implement emergency procedures, ability to communicate with air traffic control, ability to manipulate aircraft controls, etc.), academic performance in ground school, cockpit resource management, aeronautical decision-making skills and an opinion on whether applicant can safely operate an aircraft".

The FAA may require additional information following review of the information you provide in response to this letter.

No you are delusional and still are. This is what you wrote - so take it at face value and nothing more "and a note from a flight instructor demonstrating my ability to fly". it doesnt say "a note from a CFI that requires completing a license/cert" which you just wrote again. it doesnt say "a note from a cfi that this person is now a cfi", it doesnt say "a note from a CFI that requires me to be ATP" or anything else. it doesnt even say "a note saying this person has soloed" or anything else. there is no implications. you are making stuff up. i dont think anyone else in here reading that line has ever heard the faa saying you have to reach cfi to maintain your medical. your interpretation is wrong. period. i guarantee you if you ask your hims doc for his interpretation it wont be - oh you should have your cfi before they will reissue.. . .
Then you can go ahead and call the HIMS AME that handled my case and has 40 years in DoT certifications as well as my current non-HIMS AME who went to school with my HIMS AME delusional too as they both stated this letter seems to imply I should obtain my PPL. If you can't engage respectfully then I'm not going to engage with you any farther.

@OP - I would suggest you go away (from this forum and away from the computer) and go do a completely different activity for some time - at least an hour. Clear your head including specifically some physical activity. When you are ready, come back and read through this thread in its entirety including all of your own posts.
Honest and 100% non-sarcastic suggestion.

You are requested to provide the following information within 60 days for FAA review:
"An assessment and statement from an instructor pilot. This assessment should address operational flight experience (ability to implement emergency procedures, ability to communicate with air traffic control, ability to manipulate aircraft controls, etc.), academic performance in ground school, cockpit resource management, aeronautical decision-making skills and an opinion on whether applicant can safely operate an aircraft".

The FAA may require additional information following review of the information you provide in response to this letter.

Then you can go ahead and call the HIMS AME that handled my case and has 40 years in DoT certifications as well as my current non-HIMS AME who went to school with my HIMS AME delusional too as they both stated this letter seems to imply I should obtain my PPL. If you can't engage respectfully then I'm not going to engage with you any farther.

again, nothing saying you have to be at CFI level. or even completed PPL. . .

but good luck. sounds like you might need it.

You’re making this much MUCH too hard.

Go take a couple of lessons and ask the CFI to write a note. Done. That’s it!

You can continue to train at whatever rate you can afford, even if it’s only a lesson a month.

And stop writing silly letters. The FAA could not care less about your financial situation, loans, etc. All they want is for a CFI to see how you do in the cockpit and tell them you’re okay.

At the moment, you’re making me pretty concerned about what your ADM is going to be like.

The FAA is stating you should be receiving ground and flight instruction towards a certificate and is requiring a statement from a CFI that states you can safely operate an aircraft.

It says nothing about completing a PPL in 60 days, going to UND, or being a CFI.

Alright given what I'm hearing, I'll go ahead and just do some training, enough for a CFI to write a note. I apologize for thinking that I had to complete a full license or certification. Just talking with my previous HIMS AME, my current non-HIMS AME, as well as Dave from the FAA all said that starting flight training now and biting the bullet is the only way to do this. That was the interpretation they all had of this letter and statement, that I had to start flight training now and obtain a license/cert, aka PPL.

I'll go ahead and schedule my physical with my AME which expires this month, and submit a note from a CFI when they feel comfortable enough writing this note. No need to get my PPL at all right now.

Last edited:
I suggest that the CFI might feel more comfortable writing the note if he refers to your stage of training so he can write that your skills, judgment, etc., are appropriate for this point in training. Be sure he mentions everything the FAA did in the letter.

Let's break it down:

An assessment and statement from an instructor pilot.
A report from a CFI. Written is to be presumed.

This assessment should address operational flight experience (ability to implement emergency procedures, ability to communicate with air traffic control, ability to manipulate aircraft controls, etc.)
The report should address your ability to physically operate the aircraft in various aspects of flight. And not just move the yoke, but also the radios, etc.

academic performance in ground school, cockpit resource management, aeronautical decision-making skills
The report should address your ability to learn, work with others, and the ability to make good decisions.

and an opinion on whether applicant can safely operate an aircraft
Does the CFI feel that you will be able to combine all of the above and be safe while flying.

TL;DR version:
All the FAA wants in a report from a CFI regarding whether you're able to do the physical parts of flying, whether you can learn and do the mental part of flying, and whether you're going to be safe while both doing and thinking when flying.

No where does it require completing a PPL or anything besides what has been listed above.

Last edited:
I'm not any kind of expert, but I would think it would be up to the CFI to determine how much training would be necessary for him or her to be willing to write an attestation that you have the skills specified in the FAA's letter.

I'm not any kind of expert, but I would think it would be up to the CFI to determine how much training would be necessary for him or her to be willing to write an attestation that you have the skills specified in the FAA's letter.

This is true, but surely even the most cautious CFI isn't going to wait until the OP has achieved his PPL before being willing to write the letter.

Lots of good advice above, but here's my two cents:. When I was in highschool, my mom was afraid of me flying. So I waited until she was out of town, took myself to the airport for a discovery flight, and started lessons. I was a dumb, broke, highschool student, but I got my license. Myv story is not unique.

You've jumped through a bunch of hoops, and the FAA has told you to go start your training. But you don't want to. Something's holding you back. I would have thought that someone who's gone through what you surely did just to get a medical would have a fire to fly, but you don't seem to. If you want to fly only so you can sit at the front of a big metal tube and push buttons, maybe this isn't really for you.

One of the conditions of your SI to have someone who teaches flying testify that you ACTUALLY CAN DO THIS. You can have this SI and then shelve flying. The authorization to fly is Dynamic and it's in your inital authorization letter!!

You have to produce exactly what they say and you have known about this since your intial SI. You should just let if expire, and then reapply ~6months prior to when you REALLY ARE READY to fly.

@bbchien are you able to provide insight into where the OP will be if the SI expires and he comes back?

Specifically, will he have to jump through the ADHD hurdles as a new applicant, or will there be some sort of grandfather effect that will make it easier for him?

The continuation of this thread is exactly why OP really needed some level of "professional" advice before responding to the FAA. Trying to read between the lines, trying to respond to things something thinks are "implied" in the letter, making assumptions, etc. This is exactly how people get themselves in trouble with any type of authority (whether law enforcement, government, etc.). You answer the questions presented exactly as presented; you do not answer the question you think they are asking. It's a government agency, the folks who write those letters know how to ask for what they want; if they wanted you to obtain your license, the letter would have said that explicitly.

The continuation of this thread is exactly why OP really needed some level of "professional" advice before responding to the FAA. Trying to read between the lines, trying to respond to things something thinks are "implied" in the letter, making assumptions, etc. This is exactly how people get themselves in trouble with any type of authority (whether law enforcement, government, etc.). You answer the questions presented exactly as presented; you do not answer the question you think they are asking. It's a government agency, the folks who write those letters know how to ask for what they want; if they wanted you to obtain your license, the letter would have said that explicitly.
The letter will have some verbiage (on the first page) such as, "This authorization shall be effective until it expires on ____31, 2027", which means until a year before that date all he has to do is supply the CFI letter and the current status letter and the agency will renew him based on that alone.

You have to get good at reading the letter(s). It's there but most folks don't understand what it means.

This is true, but surely even the most cautious CFI isn't going to wait until the OP has achieved his PPL before being willing to write the letter.
This is a conversation that should be had between the OP and prospective CFIs. No point in starting training with a CFI who won't write a letter to the FAA or won't write it until training is completed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back