FAA delays

Instagram aviation influencers.

:lol:

Do “influencers” influence anyone besides teenage boys and girls?

The demographics of pilots are certainly skewed toward the upper end of the age curve, which is why it’s even more important to use vehicles like this forum to get the word out that people are trying to “assemble” to make a change.

Instagram aviation influencers.

:lol:

There's a chemist influencer on Facebook who influenced me a great deal during the pandemic.

You’d be surprised with how much marketing departments rely on social media to advertise products, not to mention various partnerships they have with certain well followed accounts. I would say influencers absolutely influence a lot more than just teenagers.

I’ve had a student pilot license for many months now and just started appearing in the airman registry with “no medical info available” is that suggestive of movement/approval or just a coincidence?

I’ve had a student pilot license for many months now and just started appearing in the airman registry with “no medical info available” is that suggestive of movement/approval or just a coincidence?

“no medical info available” means just that. Once you’ve been issued it will change to information about your medical including the date and class. These are really the only two options you will see on the airmen registry.

Mine has said that from the first day I showed up in the registry as a student pilot.

Just an update on my deferred medical. All the additional information was sent in early January. Just got a letter asking for an additional piece of information. I did include what they are asking for in my initial round of paperwork but they need it again with an updated exam from my doctor for of all things smoke inhalation resulting from a garage fire in 2016. I guess I should be happy that’s all their asking for! Anyway at least somebody is doing something at the FAA. I’m a total of 6 months out from med express.

....an updated exam from my doctor for of all things smoke inhalation resulting from a garage fire in 2016. I guess I should be happy that’s all their asking for!

This is how overloaded bureaucracies always work. Find some reason, any reason, to kick it back to you and get it out of their queue.

And be forewarned: typically, a bureaucracy only reviews until they find the first problem so they can return the ball to your court; they do not try to find all issues and give them to you all at once. So depending on what's in your file, you might get a few of these requests for additional information before you're finished.

Well at least I felt pretty good for 13 minutes. My file was large and you are probably correct, this is just the beginning. But smoke inhalation from 7 years ago? Makes a good argument for your assertion they just needed get it out of their cue.

Well at least I felt pretty good for 13 minutes. My file was large and you are probably correct, this is just the beginning. But smoke inhalation from 7 years ago? Makes a good argument for your assertion they just needed get it out of their cue.
Time for Congress to pass a new Pilots' Bill of Rights.

Called OKC earlier today. I have been waiting and in review since Oct. The lady on the phone told me they are mailing me a certified letter which I should get this week or next. Couldnt tell me anything about the decision. I am even more anxious now. Praying and keeping my fingers crossed it is going to be good news.

P.S nothing is showing up on the airman registry about the medical certificate.

Generally a certified letter means asking for more information…..I believe.

Maybe it will help and maybe not but I just sent an email to one of my state representatives. I picked one that is a pilot. I didn’t ask for individual assistance but just to make him aware the whole process is currently broken. Maybe a waste of time but I have it to waste!

Maybe it will help and maybe not but I just sent an email to one of my state representatives. I picked one that is a pilot. I didn’t ask for individual assistance but just to make him aware the whole process is currently broken. Maybe a waste of time but I have it to waste!

Phoning will often get more of a response than an email

I empathize with all of you for the long wait. I went through this process before Covid, but for comparison I’ll give you my timeline for a Class 3 with SI for three non-HIMs related issues.
>June 2019- AME exam and deferral
>Sep 2019- FAA letter requesting updated test results for 2 of the 3 issues. I turned that around within a week.
>Oct 2019- FAA letter requesting additional data on 3rd issue that they overlooked before.
>Nov 2019- SI Cert issued

5 months in all, but that was long time for me then.
I’ve since transitioned to Basic Med.
Good luck with your certs!

It’s a federal issue. How can a state representative help, or influence the process?

Anyone else have any updates? Initial MedExpress in July, request for more info in December, submitted in January, scanned into OKC in February, and still waiting. I’ve confirmed it’s in OKC and not DC, no clue if they’re going to issue an SI or regular medical, but based on the conversation I had with the HIMS psychiatrist, I’m getting put in HIMS since my depression only resolved itself less than a year ago after an extended greater than 2 years long single instance. Was hoping it would have been done by now, both the psychiatrist evaluation and the neuropsych eval (which they didn’t ask for but given ADHD in my history too, I thought they might come back and ask for it anyhow). Both came back recommending issue.

Just got AOPA involved on Friday, and last time I saw no movement until I got the RFS involved. Maybe I need to call them again?

Getting super tired of the wait. I really hope I’m not waiting another 6 months from the time things were scanned in, the VFR flying season in Seattle is going to be basically over by then. I’d love to finish my PPL and start working on IR before the end of the year…

My med express was November, additional information they requested was scanned in Late January, I just got a letter in April 2nd that was dated March 17th asking for a follow up visit from a hospital visit back in 2017. I have until April 17th to respond. Trying to get an appointment wi the a Dr this week or early next week is impossible. The post mark on the letter shows it was sent out March 30th. Underneath all the frustration I am happy they are at least looking at my file, but why create time constraints that no one can comply with. So to answer your question. Med express November, letter arrived and answered for additional info late January, letter asking for silly BS arrived April 2 but written March 17th. My file was over 1300 pages. At least something is happening…

EricH here again Now May 1st and nothing Aopa replied again last week saying I may be close to top of the 4000+ application queue. Has anyone have a contact at DOT or FAA. ? New acting FAA head less than 2 months. What a s??t show !

The MedExpress status is worthless.The system is programmed for up tp 60 days from the date of FAA intake. It says to call the FAA.
A competent software programmer would just provide the status regardless of the date.
Am contacting my representative and senators.

I contacted my senator and representative. They have forms that you can fill out requesting assistance
with federal agencies. I will see if they have any luck with the FAA.

The MedExpress status is worthless.The system is programmed for up tp 60 days from the date of FAA intake. It says to call the FAA.
A competent software programmer would just provide the status regardless of the date.

except this is a website built under govt contract, which was probably spec’ed by someone who had no clue about things. So, the spec said to provide the status after 60 days and it was tested to make sure it I didn’t happen one minute sooner.

He stated he submitted back in November of 2021 that is way past 60 days probably isn't even working says to call them for anyone who looks.

I actually heard back from my representative. They sent my complaint to the FAA directly. Hopefully they have some influence. It's an election year.

This is how overloaded bureaucracies always work. Find some reason, any reason, to kick it back to you and get it out of their queue.

And be forewarned: typically, a bureaucracy only reviews until they find the first problem so they can return the ball to your court; they do not try to find all issues and give them to you all at once. So depending on what's in your file, you might get a few of these requests for additional information before you're finished.
and that is why it is important to serve an "ace" on the opening serve.....

OKC received the last bit of info they asked for about 30 days ago. I did speak with someone and according to her it is the reviewer’s job to get everything together for the Dr to make the decision. According to her there shouldn’t be any additional testing or records needed. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Coming up on 6 months here after all my paperwork and additional requests have been submitted. This is the most bullsh** process I've ever been through. Was told one person working all the cases similar to mine. What happens if he gets hit by a bus? Then what?
What is your case look like? What you do while waiting if you dont mind

My case has no movement at all. I’m just over two months out since last bit of requested information was scanned in. I guess I’m still several months away from a decision based on what I’m reading. I’m afraid a letter will show up anyday requesting a neuro cog eval. The test or the cost doesn’t really bother me but the friggin delay is my concern. I can’t believe somebody somewhere can’t see this process is a mess. I shouldn’t complain there are plenty on this forum that have been waiting much longer than I have.

My case has no movement at all. I’m just over two months out since last bit of requested information was scanned in. I guess I’m still several months away from a decision based on what I’m reading. I’m afraid a letter will show up anyday requesting a neuro cog eval. The test or the cost doesn’t really bother me but the friggin delay is my concern. I can’t believe somebody somewhere can’t see this process is a mess. I shouldn’t complain there are plenty on this forum that have been waiting much longer than I have.

Contact your Congress critter. See Eric’s post above. It may get you some action, and with enough such calls maybe Congress will demand some changes when funding time rolls around again.

I will. It can’t hurt. This process is absolutely pathetic. I know they have a job to do but when you don’t do your job in a timely manner then something needs to change. The med express website says they will try to handle each case within 60 days. When that happens zero percent of the time then obviously changes need to be made.

If I remember correctly you sent them a 1000 pages they only asked about one visit to the ER in 2016 from smoke inhalation. I doubt they will want more on any other subjects would think they would have sent that in the first letter. They could ask for a pulmonary function test to be done if they think you have some lung damage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back