FAA delays

I actually know of someone who waited about 6 months just before covid started. Honestly, I think they are doing the best they could. Every agency in the country is overwhelmed and there is nothing you could do. I sympathize with them even though I am frustrated.
Joklhahoma City hasn't EVER been able to meet even their own horrendously awful self-imposed performance standard. This has been going on long before COVID, long before SEQUESTRATION, long before any other invented excuse. The operation is a complete disaster. There was a small amount of time they started to make headway and greatly increased the AMEs ability to get some discretionary approval, but essentially, they're current strategy is you got basic med, if you're not a revenue aviator go screw yourself.

Just a weekly, curious bump to this thread as the wait continues.. :D

Has OP or anyone else received any movement on their apps? Once I (hopefully) get certified I plan to post my entire saga similar to I believe AllPrimes did to help others have concrete estimates.

Right now the most baffling thing is that my AME also says he has no contacts one outside of the same contacts I'm using to try to get an update on my case. Is this similar to others experience?

Nothing for me either. Still waiting and waiting and posting my frustrations on this board lol

The FAA chief is resigning midway though his term. Apparently the FAA let Boeing do a little self certification on their new jet, which we know went bad. Now the chief wants to spend more time with his family. With all that being said maybe we should send each FAA person involved in that kerfuffle to HIMS AME to see if they need their certificate revoked. I mean talking about poor ADM skills. What hippocrasy!!!!!!

The FAA chief is resigning midway though his term. Apparently the FAA let Boeing do a little self certification on their new jet, which we know went bad. Now the chief wants to spend more time with his family. With all that being said maybe we should send each FAA person involved in that kerfuffle to HIMS AME to see if they need their certificate revoked. I mean talking about poor ADM skills. What hippocrasy!!!!!!

It won't matter who is installed as Chief they just carry on it's a bureaucrat system the motto is always another day to get something done. When clock hits 8 hours they drop everything they are doing and vanish there is no pressure to get anything done because they don't produce anything like a private business. Impossible to terminate employees who do a poor job and likely they have no performance reviews most union or Government jobs has none. I worked for a city couldn't take it after 3 years I was doing all the work because I couldn't sit there all day. What happens with these places is anyone who has a work ethic will leave go to private business where their hard work stands out and they get promoted. The employees who have poor work ethics stay until entire place is full of same type who don't care about getting promoted, and feel the same way about the work they are doing.

Management is hard at work producing reports to give to congress ask for more money the only reason they need more money is to add more regulation that is their motivation to make more money.

And what is your source for this assertion? Most folks in the FAA that I know think BasicMed is a good idea as it keeps more pilots flying. This means more pilots to ramp check. More old geezers to possibly investigate after an incident or accident.
;)
But more importantly, more old salts coming out to the airport to fly and thus able to spread their knowledge and experience to the kids. Also I know a few ASIs who have gone BasicMed. They sure seem to like it.
Point taken. I should have said the AMCD frowns upon it.

Coming up on 6 months here after all my paperwork and additional requests have been submitted. This is the most bullsh** process I've ever been through. Was told one person working all the cases similar to mine. What happens if he gets hit by a bus? Then what?
I'm at 6 months and counting for my SI HIMS 3rd class...

my stuff only went in last month. I feel like I’m
doomed. I keep hoping that somebody will walk into the FAA office and say WTF, and then papers will start flying and certs will start flying off the shelves!

Does anyone know of or is someone who has received their SI recently?

would like to know when they applied and how long after their received their medical. Also good to know if HIMS or not.

This would be helpful for us waiting in the proverbial dark alley that is the FAA queue…

The stock answer currently appears to be, “but Mr. Senator, you did not appropriate enough funds for the mission…”

Trouble is, when more fund are appropriated , little is spent where it needs go.

But they have lost personnel. Say you have 25 years of federal service, and so own 75% of your pension. Along comes a private company willing to double your salary. Do you stay or do you jump?

Does anyone know of or is someone who has received their SI recently?

would like to know when they applied and how long after their received their medical. Also good to know if HIMS or not.

This would be helpful for us waiting in the proverbial dark alley that is the FAA queue…

I talked with a HIMS AME last week and he said one of his patients recently received a reply after waiting 7 months.

The stock answer currently appears to be, “but Mr. Senator, you did not appropriate enough funds for the mission…”

Trouble is, when more fund are appropriated , little is spent where it needs go.

But they have lost personnel. Say you have 25 years of federal service, and so own 75% of your pension. Along comes a private company willing to double your salary. Do you stay or do you jump?

How much of the review work actually gets done in OKC? Is a lot of it scanned in and then shared around via secure system to reviewing staff in other locations? If the bulk of it is being done in OKC, and they can't find qualified people to hire, maybe there should be a push to move the operation to a place where there is a larger population and more qualified applicants. There isn't a long line of folks looking to move to OKC for a federal job.

How much of the review work actually gets done in OKC? Is a lot of it scanned in and then shared around via secure system to reviewing staff in other locations? If the bulk of it is being done in OKC, and they can't find qualified people to hire, maybe there should be a push to move the operation to a place where there is a larger population and more qualified applicants. There isn't a long line of folks looking to move to OKC for a federal job.
I was told HIMS cases must go to DC, NTSB and OKC. I called OKC and they wouldn't talk to me: "It's in DC, call the 202 (area code) number on your letter"

Does the DOT system work like this, or does DOT medical doctor have 100% decision making?

If the OKC call center has been on a snow day the last two days does that also mean all apps are sitting even more stagnant than if they are ‘at work’?

Anyone considered reaching out to their US Rep to achieve a constructive update at this point? I only ask as my rep actually has a very convenient method to submit a request through their website, so doesn’t seem to be an unusual necessity to request help…

Anyone considered reaching out to their US Rep to achieve a constructive update at this point? I only ask as my rep actually has a very convenient method to submit a request through their website, so doesn’t seem to be an unusual necessity to request help…
I have not because I don't expect to get a useful reply, only "they have it and it's in the queue". A buddy of mine contacted his US Senator and that was the response he got. There's nothing to be done except wait unless you know someone high up on the food chain.

Last edited:
5 months for me. Sent everything 1st week of Oct. they asked for something else. sent that mid Oct. Hims and sleep apnea. still waiting. I have had 2 phone reps tell me they'll send a note to the reviewer to escalate the case but nothing has come out of it. judging by other's stories here I guess I won't hear anything until May.

5 months for me. Sent everything 1st week of Oct. they asked for something else. sent that mid Oct. Hims and sleep apnea. still waiting. I have had 2 phone reps tell me they'll send a note to the reviewer to escalate the case but nothing has come out of it. judging by other's stories here I guess I won't hear anything until May.

Based on a few people that have posted here and sent me PM’s it seems like waiting for a HIMS SI will take a minimum of 6 months and up to 10 months from the time your letter is sent to DC for review.

I’d like to fine tune this a bit more, but that will require more data as my sample size is less than 10. If any of you want to contribute to this and help us and future applicants narrow down appx how long they can expect to wait I’m sure people would find value in that.

Thanks!

Good afternoon from Eric, the original poster. Nothing. Going on 3.5 months. In 2020, I got my certificate back Dec 18 with the same SI paperwork as this year. Took 4 weeks from submittal. I will definitely contact my SC senators and representative. I contacted the FAA ATL office at (404) 305-6150 and they returned calls the same day and at least told me all required paperwork is in the workflow system. Just awaiting physician review ( now over 2 months). The guy told me that they are totally short staffed especially for physicians. Very courteous and liked that I didn't go on a long rant.

I think I may have spoken with the same FAA guy that Eric spoke with. He was nice and thanked me for “not going crazy” on him. The outcome was the same no real information just that they were overwhelmed and understaffed. I am early in the process and not nearly ready to be as frustrated as some on this thread. But. Fear my day is coming.

I’m not even sure that is accurate. What is your source for this belief?
Things said and body language I observed by AMCD personnel during AME training at OKC- I don’t want to call out specific people or positions. Some remarks made regarding certain legislators responsible for part 68. Also we were told that the FAA would not legally protect us for any litigation arising from our doing basic med exams. In the following years I have been reminded of that frequently enough that one might interpret it as a warning. I do them anyway. :cool:

Things said and body language I observed by AMCD personnel during AME training at OKC- I don’t want to call out specific people or positions. Some remarks made regarding certain legislators responsible for part 68. Also we were told that the FAA would not legally protect us for any litigation arising from our doing basic med exams. In the following years I have been reminded of that frequently enough that one might interpret it as a warning. I do them anyway. :cool:
Is all of that coming from AMCD? I've gotten the impression from aviation forums that the non-medical side of the FAA is more favorably disposed toward BasicMed. I don't know whether that view comes from anyone in a position to know, however.

Is all of that coming from AMCD? I've gotten the impression from aviation forums that the non-medical side of the FAA is more favorably disposed toward BasicMed. I don't know whether that view comes from anyone in a position to know, however.

@Brad Z is in a good position to know. Perhaps he’ll offer a comment.

I know someone that waited 18 months for the faa to make a decision regarding their HIMS special issuance request.

I'm waiting as well. In fact, technically, one reason I had to wait initially was because they took so long that by the time they got to the paperwork, their own deadline for me had already passed. I've resubmitted everything, it's been a month, and I feel like you guys who are saying you called are getting lucky -- I've been calling and can't even get to a selection menu due to them being closed for weather or not taking any more calls due to volume.....

By the way, what is an SI that people are referring to? I'm still out of the loop on a lot of stuff, when I stopped flying 20 years ago, I had a Class I medical, and it was a walk in the park.

This makes me think... Dealing with my case, and reading through this thread, I have to wonder ....What's the point of having AME's that check you out if the office in Oklahoma overrides, delays, and makes remote decisions based on paperwork instead of based on actually examining a patient? In other words, who knows my condition and my viability to fly better than my own doctors and the AME who has actually examined me? Shouldn't the decisions on whether a person is healthy enough to fly be in the hands of those who actually see and know and examine the pilot? But I'm just BS'ing, I'm no expert, I'm sure I'm not seeing the big picture.

Last edited:
There are some on this forum that will say the FAA is just doing what is necessary and some
Will say it’s government overreach. But they will all say it takes too long and it’s an antiquated process that needs to change. I completely agree that if my Dr says I’m healthy then why does someone who has never laid eyes on me get to make a no fly decision. As far as phone calls not getting through I called my RFS and left a message. They called back and had absolutely no information other than everything has been scanned in and is under review. From what I read were are all looking at 9 to 12 months.

There are some on this forum that will say the FAA is just doing what is necessary and some
Will say it’s government overreach. But they will all say it takes too long and it’s an antiquated process that needs to change. I completely agree that if my Dr says I’m healthy then why does someone who has never laid eyes on me get to make a no fly decision. As far as phone calls not getting through I called my RFS and left a message. They called back and had absolutely no information other than everything has been scanned in and is under review. From what I read were are all looking at 9 to 12 months.

I’m curious when when posters advise a possibility of 9-12 months etc, what are you using as the ‘start’ of that timeline?

I am on month 11 going on 12 since my initial deferral, but it is only recently that I am now reading people talking about 9-12 months. I am certainly hopeful it’s referencing the total timeline.

From what I have read it’s after the actual deferral takes place and the FAA receives the additional information they request in the letter. So it appears the clock we are all referring to starts at that point. With that being said some people are well over a year. Honestly it’s probably a crap shoot as far as timeline. If someone ask me
I’ll say 9 to 12 months but that probably just wishful thinking. All I know is that it won’t be as long as it has been!

If you think you be deferred for 2 years might as well just go light sport fly with that for 2 years until either LSA rules are changed, or backlog gets better.

From what I have read it’s after the actual deferral takes place and the FAA receives the additional information they request in the letter. So it appears the clock we are all referring to starts at that point.

They gave me a deadline of getting new health screening info to them no later than three months. By the time they get around to opening my documents, my three month deadline will have passed, and the whole process will have to start over....

By the way, what is an SI that people are referring to? I'm still out of the loop on a lot of stuff, when I stopped flying 20 years ago, I had a Class I medical, and it was a walk in the park.
SI = Special Issuance.

From what I have read it’s after the actual deferral takes place and the FAA receives the additional information they request in the letter. So it appears the clock we are all referring to starts at that point. With that being said some people are well over a year. Honestly it’s probably a crap shoot as far as timeline. If someone ask me
I’ll say 9 to 12 months but that probably just wishful thinking. All I know is that it won’t be as long as it has been!
That's correct. It goes like this:
  1. You go for your AME exam
  2. AME defers and sends info to the FAA.
  3. FAA sends you a letter asking for additional medical info including test results, letters from your docs, etc. etc.
  4. You send the FAA the additional info.
  5. FAA sends you another letter acknowledging receipt of your packet.
The clock starts at the date on the letter from #5. I'm at 6 months and counting.

I haven’t gotten a letter saying they received my packet. I called and they said everything was scanned in and under review. Oh well maybe I should have lost about 100 lbs and went sport pilot. My weight is the only reason I didnt.

That's correct. It goes like this:
  1. You go for your AME exam
  2. AME defers and sends info to the FAA.
  3. FAA sends you a letter asking for additional medical info including test results, letters from your docs, etc. etc.
  4. You send the FAA the additional info.
  5. FAA sends you another letter acknowledging receipt of your packet.
The clock starts at the date on the letter from #5. I'm at 6 months and counting.

I haven’t gotten a letter saying they received my packet. I called and they said everything was scanned in and under review. Oh well maybe I should have lost about 100 lbs and went sport pilot. My weight is the only reason I didnt.

@LowHrsMan - thanks for the outline. This is 100% correct. #5 is your starting point and like in my previous post I am guesstimating 6-10 months from that date for a HIMS SI.

On another note - it seems that DC has stopped responding to peoples messages. I've left 4 messages over the past 3 weeks and I have not gotten a call back with a status update. I think those of us waiting have two options: 1) keep calling in the hopes that something changes or 2) keep calling in the hopes that something changes :).

Also for anyone curious and want something more definitive, the FAA Airman Registry website will be updated before you get any other notification that you've been issued. Usually under "Medical Information" your status will change from "No Medical Information Available" to your actual medical status.

Here is the site: https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/main.aspx

On another note - it seems that DC has stopped responding to peoples messages. I've left 4 messages over the past 3 weeks and I have not gotten a call back with a status update.
Yes I have noticed the same thing. Last time FAA-DC returned my call was back in December.

A lot of these things are still not yet outwardly visible: expanded CACIs and....

I have a little suggestion for that.

The FAA's study on Basic Med indicates that it's not statistically less safe than a 3rd class. So, why not let an AME issue a medical for any condition that a state-licensed physician can approve on Basic Med? In other words, the only conditions that an AME should have to defer would be those on the one-time SI list that's a pre-req for Basic Med.

If any state-licensed physician (including chiropractors in some states!) can approve someone to fly under Basic Med who has sleep apnea, or once took some prohibited med as a child, or was treated for cancer, etc., why shouldn't an AME be able to issue a 3rd class in the office for the same condition?

I agree. It seems to be simple common sense. After all sleep apnea is the same no matter which Dr reads the report. It’s almost like the FAA is telling the AME they don’t rust their judgement. I mean if an AME was turning out pilots who didn’t meet the standards that would be become apparent almost immediately. Maybe it’s not that simple but it sure seems like it should be.

That IS the case. Which is fine. Screw rights, that’s fine too.

IF

They could even ATTEMPT to actually PROVE there is a need for ACTUAL public safety. Not just “we’re scared” anecdotes.

It has been demonstrated OVER AND OVER there is a need for REAL rest requirements. They sucked before 117, and frankly got worse AFTER.

Too many people just concede to their (the FAA) right to trample rights with internal policy rather than public regulation. That ain’t the case. Going to Congress critters ain’t gonna help, it ain’t the FARs that are the real problem.

the real problem is doctors that use vague language, and improperly at that, to abrogate their DUTY to actually practice medicine.

More people need to appeal to the NTSB. The situation is finally getting to where that’s cheaper than complying!

And doctors that hide behind the FAA for cheap money, read don’t actually apply sound medical principles, need to be sued. It’s malpractice.

Rant over.

I got my original letter from them, asking for more, a year ago. I sent more stuff. They asked for more....I'm thinking that's it, I'm done...I can't afford a lawyer, and no one is able to get extra test done because of COVID. When that changed recently, I went ahead and got the other tests done, more info from doctors, more recommendations from doctors, sent that stuff away. Then I went and got another AME exam, and sent the new, new materials away to the FAA. I have not heard anything from them, nor have I been able to get them on the phone for 18 months. No notice of even receiving my updated materials sent one year ago, and again 1.5 months ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back