FAA Delays ICAO requirement for flight plans

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
International Flight Plan Update
Notice Number: NOTC7186

The FAA held a two day meeting on May 23-24 with Nav Canada and vendors (Harris Corporation, CSRA and Leidos) to review testing results between all operating systems for implementation of the new FAA requirement for International Flight Plan (ICAO) format for all civil flights filed with Flight Service.*

To ensure a safe and seamless transition with full interoperability, the FAA has decided to delay implementation until the Fall of 2017. The additional time will allow all service providers to address required changes identified in testing and integrate enhancements to the international format, while avoiding system changes during the busy summer flying season. The FAA will provide a 30-day advance notice to the public when a final date is selected later this year.

We should get a bet going as to when this will actually be implemented.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Was a bit of a pain to setup the aircraft info the first time but since then it's been no big deal. If one has a whole fleet of domestic aircraft though and now you've got to go update records for a ton of aircraft then I get how this is a total PITA for no apparent added benefit.

Are that many people not currently filing ICAO? FltPlan defaults ICAO, been filing that way for years.

People are always surprised when they see that my license does not have my picture on it

People are so funny, like the "you can fly without talking to anyone"
It's a sad state when people expect to be under the thumb of the government and are shocked, and sometimes even scared, when others have freedom
It's like government Stockholm's syndrome lol

Are that many people not currently filing ICAO? FltPlan defaults ICAO, been filing that way for years.

People are so funny, like the "you can fly without talking to anyone"
It's a sad state when people expect to be under the thumb of the government and are shock, and sometimes even scared, when others have freedom
It's like government Stockholm's syndrome lol
I always use the domestic format on FltPlan

I've just always used it. I haven't even looked at the ICAO format. I guess I better start getting used to the ICAO one.

If you use fltplan, once you have all your aircrafts data in, it's really the same GUI for ether I think.

SOB, fuel, alternate, altitude, etc.

I always use the domestic format on FltPlan
When I was flying corporate I set up the ICAO once, and never knew the difference afterwards. If you fly international I believe it's required.

I've been using it (via Foreflight) for nearly two years now. I remember it being a pain to set up at first, but after that it's been a breeze.

I've been using it (via Foreflight) for nearly two years now. I remember it being a pain to set up at first, but after that it's been a breeze.

This is why I still use the domestic format. It's easy--"/G" is all; under ICAO, I have to figure out which of each group of listed equipment I have, and the two characters may well become a dozen or more random letters that I will never remember for an air file or popup. Guess I could print it out, laminate it and glue it to the panel, but that will look incredibly stupid . . . . .

This is why I still use the domestic format. It's easy--"/G" is all; under ICAO, I have to figure out which of each group of listed equipment I have, and the two characters may well become a dozen or more random letters that I will never remember for an air file or popup. Guess I could print it out, laminate it and glue it to the panel, but that will look incredibly stupid . . . . .
Do you need all that info for a popup? I was under the impression you didn't. :dunno:

For air filing, you could still pull all that info from Foreflight... or (presumably) whatever EFB you use.

Do you need all that info for a popup? I was under the impression you didn't. :dunno:

For air filing, you could still pull all that info from Foreflight... or (presumably) whatever EFB you use.
Every time I've gotten a pop up, ATC just asked my type. I think once or twice they asked if I had GPS, but every other time I think they just assumed I was /G.

Every time I've gotten a pop up, ATC just asked my type. I think once or twice they asked if I had GPS, but every other time I think they just assumed I was /G.

Once it's all ICAO, all the time, there won't be a /G anymore. Every plane will have its own string of gibberish, depending on what's installed in the panel . . . .

Back