FAA COVID Relief Rule

My advice is to go the the last 20 pages in the reg text section and find the applicable provisions of part 61. Most here will be interested in provisions affecting 61.23, 61.56, and 61.57.

Of course this comes four days after I talked my instructor into doing my review (due today). It was a risk I chose to take (I think pretty small). The FAA took almost two months to do what could have been done early March. Not that anybody expects the govt to be efficient...

EAA's interpretation is that this does not apply to recreational flying except in a few very specific cases:

https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public...Interest-Needs-but-Misses-Recreational-Flying
That is correct. The goal is to allow flight for what are considered essentias, not $100 hamburgers. For private pilot privileges, the flight review extension is limited to:
  • FAR 137.19 ag pilots.
  • charitable medial flights under FAA exemptions allowing reimbursement
  • four other categories if the pilot has 500 hours total time, 400 hours of which is PIC and 50 hours in that previous 12 calendar months:
    • incidental to business or employment;
    • family medical needs or essentials for personal use
    • humanitarian flights for essential goods and medical supplies
    • to move your aircraft for required inspections (like an annual)

to move your aircraft for required inspections (like an annual)
Does that entirely encompass "necessary to fly an aircraft to a location in order to meet a requirement of this chapter" or is that a subset?

Does that entirely encompass "necessary to fly an aircraft to a location in order to meet a requirement of this chapter" or is that a subset?
Sorry, I meant that an an example. The "chapter" is the entire FAR. So it's not limited to things like aircraft inspections but covers a lot of other things, arguable including some pilot requirements.

Sorry, I meant that an an example. The "chapter" is the entire FAR. So it's not limited to things like aircraft inspections but covers a lot of other things including pilot requirements.
Yes, it's 14 CFR 1 through 199, what we call the FARs.

I'll give you the nickel summary from the FAA preamble text: They decided what's important, and despite understanding how important the whole of GA is to the transportation and economic infrastructure, they determined most of it to not be worthy of special consideration. I.E., the FAA just told us to go screw ourselves.

AOPA says it's not effective until May 4
Yes, technically it can't be effective until published in the Federal Register. It's probably planned for publication on the 4th.

Yes, technically it can't be effective until published in the Federal Register. It's probably planned for publication on the 4th.
BTW, that's not unusual. The FAA does what basically amounts to a pre-publication press release

BTW, that's not unusual. The FAA does what basically amounts to a pre-publication press release
It's unusual because they don't typically need to pre-announce rulemakings because they're not crammed through like this.
Unfortunately, the lack of review pretty much screws us all.
\

So, basically the SFAR does not apply to recreational flying or nonessential travel. For reasons that escape me. Apparently, if I was flying incidental to my work, I'm acceptably safe. If I'm flying for personal reasons, I'm not.

So those of us in the expiration boat have to find a CFI who is willing to share a cockpit with someone. Or tie down the aircraft for however long...Brilliant.

So those of us in the expiration boat have to find a CFI who is willing to share a cockpit with someone.
Yes, and you have to be willing to share a cockpit with them.

So, basically the SFAR does not apply to recreational flying or nonessential travel. For reasons that escape me. Apparently, if I was flying incidental to my work, I'm acceptably safe. If I'm flying for personal reasons, I'm not.

So those of us in the expiration boat have to find a CFI who is willing to share a cockpit with someone. Or tie down the aircraft for however long...Brilliant.
Agree with it or not, it's just an effort to allow an additional risk factor for what the FAA considers important reasons. I guess they figured flights necessary to keep your business operating was more important than you being able to get a $100 hamburger. YMMV.

Back