F35 down and missing in SC

BMan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BMan
Well, they can’t track it on radar. Beats me whether it would have ADSB.

We can track it on radar. Also has IFF (an additional military mode on the transponder)

It may be that they simply haven’t located the wreckage yet

Well, it is missing "off the coast."

Potential Cornfield Bomber 2.0

Interesting. MMW?

If I were still working and cleared, I’d be interested in digging into it a bit.

We have some very capable air search radars. Just because something has a reduced radar cross section doesn’t mean it is truly ‘invisible’.

You won’t see it paint on an FAA radar, but that is often because of the radar settings to prevent unwanted clutter.

Just because something has a reduced radar cross section doesn’t mean it is truly ‘invisible’.

Yes, I know what it means. I played in that world for a number of years. I did the original electrical architecture design for the F35’s targeting system, EOTS.

Regardless of radar reflectors attached during non-combat sorties domestically (I have some good pics from air shows I'll post when I find them), from what I learned over the years about the F22 and F35 (be it right or wrong) is they're supposedly connected/tracked with milsatcomms rather than dependent on radar tracking. The reflectors are for civil ATC. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on that.

I read another news report that its AP was "on" prior to ejection (link below). It's more stunning to me that there were no reports yet of it crashing somewhere...there would be quite a kaboom noise even without ordnance or any fuel remaining. Of course, I read this morning that officials (who?) state it may still yet be airborne somewhere (the new "RV-35"?). Seriously?

In my experience, the fastest way to upset a Raptor pilot is to check in with "RADAR contact."

Regardless of radar reflectors attached during non-combat sorties domestically (I have some good pics from air shows I'll post when I find them), from what I learned over the years about the F22 and F35 (be it right or wrong) is they're supposedly connected/tracked with milsatcomms rather than dependent on radar tracking. The reflectors are for civil ATC. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on that.
[/URL]

I would assume even stealth fighters still have transponders and use them when flying in the US for ATC purposes. I've seen some even pop up on ADS-b exchange, but they also have the ability to turn them off apparently.

of course stealth aircraft can turn off transponders, etc

actually, most of the USAF aircraft can turn stuff off.

I read another news report that its AP was "on" prior to ejection (link below). It's more stunning to me that there were no reports yet of it crashing somewhere...there would be quite a kaboom noise even without ordnance or any fuel remaining. Of course, I read this morning that officials (who?) state it may still yet be airborne somewhere (the new "RV-35"?). Seriously?

If he had ordnance, there is very little chance it would explode during a crash.

The 35 has fairly short legs (relatively speaking), the B model even more so. It would have ran out of gas.

The news articles also discuss a second F-35, his wingman. I'm surprised his wingman didn't track the aircraft after he ejected.

The plane could be underwater in one of the lakes or buried in a swamp. Plenty of S/R stories of not being able to find a plane even with a beacon going off when the plane is covered by tree canopy or other foliage. This would have no such beacon (the beacon in the seat survival kit stays with the pilot).

I read another news report that its AP was "on" prior to ejection (link below). It's more stunning to me that there were no reports yet of it crashing somewhere...there would be quite a kaboom noise even without ordnance or any fuel remaining.
Read up on the Cornfield Bomber.......F-106 in a flat spin, pilot ejects. A/C lands in a field and returned to flying status fairly quickly.
The news articles also discuss a second F-35, his wingman. I'm surprised his wingman didn't track the aircraft after he ejected.
Wingman is going to track the pilot and not the stricken aircraft.

What crash? So far, none has been confirmed. ;)

Oh yeah. You’re right. Those darned aliens! They’re stealing our planes!

The pilot ejected because he didn’t want to be abducted by aliens. Guess he doesn’t like probing.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. You’re right. Those darned aliens! They’re stealing our planes!

The pilot ejected because she didn’t want to be abducted by aliens. Guess he doesn’t like probing.
If you have proof that it’s on this planet’s surface, motionless, you should contact the people who want it back. Even Scully would find this one interesting. IMG_0127.jpegIMG_0127.jpeg

Read up on the Cornfield Bomber.......F-106 in a flat spin, pilot ejects. A/C lands in a field and returned to flying status fairly quickly.

Wingman is going to track the pilot and not the stricken aircraft.

This thing can allegedly track how many aircraft and missiles over the horizon, but can't track an ejection seat and one aircraft?

$80 million don't buy much these days, does it.

If you have proof that it’s on this planet’s surface, motionless, you should contact the people who want it back. Even Scully would find this one interesting. View attachment 120693View attachment 120693

Maybe it flew beyond the end of the earth? He was near the ocean after all, and we know that leads to the ice caps at the end of the earth.

of course stealth aircraft can turn off transponders, etc

actually, most of the USAF aircraft can turn stuff off.

Yeah, the last thing I would want would be a transponder squawking in a combat zone.

Back