F-16 Flyover

Mitch Bowers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Imagewerx.us
Here is my aerial image of the F-16 Flyover for the Colorado Rockies home opener last week. Yes, I was talking to ATC and started coordinating this flight days before. I even received an email from the lead pilot with heading, time altitude and speed. He told me they would be doing 300kts over the stadium.

Attachments

• 2017 Rockies Flyover 24x36 Final sm logo.jpg
    2017 Rockies Flyover 24x36 Final sm logo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 165
Good timing. Looks like puffs of fireworks as well.

Here is my aerial image of the F-16 Flyover for the Colorado Rockies home opener last week. Yes, I was talking to ATC and started coordinating this flight days before. I even received an email from the lead pilot with heading, time altitude and speed. He told me they would be doing 300kts over the stadium.

There wasn't a TFR over the stadium? How did you manage to take the picture?

I mean TFR applying to the photographer, not to the F16's.

But very cool!

A very well-timed and perfectly positioned shot! I wish I had a camera last Nov, when I looked down and saw 4 jets in a tight formation right below me. Two each F35 and F16. They were flying about 2K AGL and about 1K below me. They were prepping for a NASCAR fly-over. No Notams, no radio warnings, although I wasn't on with Phoenix Approach.

At my home drome's annual open house we usually had an F-16. When it came time for him to depart he asked tower if he could climb to 9,000 before leaving the field. They approved, and he lit the afterburner. It was worth watching. Straight up to altitude, then roll into something approach could live with.

There wasn't a TFR over the stadium? How did you manage to take the picture?

I mean TFR applying to the photographer, not to the F16's.

But very cool!
There was a TFR and ATC put me right on top of it. Thanks!

@Mitch Bowers , that is a neat shot and a great angle and timing.

I'm trying to figure out, though, why it looks a little "off". Something in the way the F-16s looks almost makes it look like they were photoshopped on - is it something in the way you enhanced it afterward, or modified the colors or something? Both the flag and the F-16s almost look like cartoons they're so clear. Could it maybe be that it's such an unusual perspective to be looking down at a field and the airplanes flying over it that my brain just assumes something's wrong with it? Maybe it's because each F-16 looks so identical to the others that it almost seems like a cut-and-paste?

Let me be clear, I don't think you photoshopped them in. I'm just trying to figure out why they look a little strange to me.

I'm trying to figure out, though, why it looks a little "off". Something in the way the F-16s looks almost makes it look like they were photoshopped on - is it something in the way you enhanced it afterward, or modified the colors or something? Both the flag and the F-16s almost look like cartoons they're so clear. Could it maybe be that it's such an unusual perspective to be looking down at a field and the airplanes flying over it that my brain just assumes something's wrong with it? Maybe it's because each F-16 looks so identical to the others that it almost seems like a cut-and-paste?

Let me be clear, I don't think you photoshopped them in. I'm just trying to figure out why they look a little strange to me.

I agree. Looks weird.

I agree. Looks weird.
Its a very low resolution file. The F-16's were going 300 knots according to the pilots, so they are a little "soft" You always need to edit RAW files. I added some sharpening, contrast and brought our the shadows a bit. The white looks a little blown out against the dark green grass. The F-16's are identical, they all have the same configuration. I think it looks a little strange as well. It is a different perspective looking almost straight down on the stadium. I got lucky this year and was on the right side of the stadium and in nice and close. I was trying for vertical. Thanks.

I thought the same thing. I typed out essentially this same post and decided not to post it. I think the issue is that it's a little over sharpened for the resolution, which makes it look fake. Having the background and the jets so "sharp" doesn't look right because your mind expects the depth of field to make one or the other less sharp.

Back