Extracting broken bolts/studs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I want to see him pull one out where the screw extractor is jammed really tight into the broken bolt, and busted off flush with the top of it!

I see a completely different way. MIG a nut onto the stud! I've also put a tube down into the hole and welded it to the stud.
sorry....but how is that different? Mig vs Tig...ok, but the method of welding is similar.

Now....one could get that EDM'd out....but that's a bit more involved and more expensive.

Last edited:
I want to see him pull one out where the screw extractor is jammed really tight into the broken bolt, and busted off flush with the top of it!

That's easy. The screw extractor is very brittle, (why it snapped off in the first place). Just bust it out of the hole with a punch, and re drill the hole to the same size as the ID of the threaded hole. Then using a pick, remove the bolt threads from the hole threads.
All ways use a left hand drill bit to drill out right handed bolts.

I wonder how he can drill out a screw that has a file-hard broken E-Z out jammed in it. The examples in the video above were pretty cooperative....

If a bolt breaks off it’s usually because it’s corroded and frozen in there so even if you can get a grip on it with something nine times out of ten it ain’t coming out. You normally have to drill it out completely and put in a helicoil.

I worked in a large motorcycle/foreign car dealership for a decade; one learns every single way to remove a broken bolt from an aluminum part. (We had access to a TAP burnout machine, but that was the last resort.)

Back