Exposing loved ones to the risks associated with GA

More likely to kill you than sitting on the sofa at home.
That's funny, because I was just thinking about the fact that on one of my drives to Monterey, I almost got done in by a SOFA! :rofl:

Disagree. The numbers might skyrocket, but I bet the *rate* would go down, because people would be flying a lot more and better in control of their aircraft.
I agree with that. However, I don't think it would ever become less dangerous than riding a motorcycle. BTW, I do both. Oddly enough, even though the numbers show aviation is more dangerous, I will take my kids flying, but would never put them on a motorcycle.

That is where statistics fail us. I believe other vehicles/drivers are more dangerous than anything I could do on a motorcycle, and I believe most aviation accidents are caused by pilot error. However, I'm not someone who tries to convince myself, or my passengers, that either of these activities are safe compared to driving in a car... or sitting on a couch!

....However, I'm not someone who tries to convince myself, or my passengers, that either of these activities are safe compared to driving in a car... or sitting on a couch!
Having a couch careening toward you at freeway speeds, on the other hand... :eek:

That's funny, because I was just thinking about the fact that on one of my drives to Monterey, I almost got done in by a SOFA! :rofl:

Once upon a time, I hit/ran over a mattress that came flying off the roof of a car on I-65 in Indy. People who transport things in such a careless manner should be severely beaten.

Estimated total general aviation hours per year divided by reported failures puts it at about one every 34,000 hours. And even by the numbers posted by our resident statistician, only 6% of C172 engine outs result in fatalities.

You used the correct term, there: "Reported engine failures." Engine failures, alone, aren't reportable. There has to be other damage.

Ron Wanttaja

Once upon a time, I hit/ran over a mattress that came flying off the roof of a car on I-65 in Indy. People who transport things in such a careless manner should be severely beaten.

Back in the mid '80s in Houston on the interstate a car passed me with a mattress on top. The people had the windows open and a person sat at each window with an arm out holding onto the mattress, even the driver. It was a 74 or 75 Ford LTD. Running 65 MPH.

You used the correct term, there: "Reported engine failures." Engine failures, alone, aren't reportable. There has to be other damage.

Ron Wanttaja

Exactly. But if a failure is so mundane that no damage happens, is it really relevant to anything we are discussing? I'd say no.

But we could preface my previous comment by labeling it a "significant" engine out event every 34,000 hours, knowing that there are others that never result in anything and aren't reported.

Back