Explain plane spotting to me

This place was active when I moved to Palmdale. Drove by it almost daily, always a crowd. There was an Aviation Store that had a mobile unit out there. Roach Coaches to get some chow. It didn’t last much longer after I got there. Plant 42 got hit pretty hard during all the base closures back then. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-03-21-me-13492-story.html

Last edited:
We all like to watch planes take off and land, what’s wrong with it? Seems like you judge more often than you don’t, and if you don’t judge others, you’re humoring us with nonsense. Please, some of these people may just enjoy it as a hobby. Leave them be.
He asked for an explanation of the hobby. I don't see a problem with that.

Just like railroad buffs, traveling to famous railroad landmarks to watch the trains
My late favorite cousin was an avid model railroader, and his favorite real-life steam locomotive was Southern Pacific 4449. I enjoyed driving him to see it in person where it was based in Portland, OR. He enjoyed talking with the people who were there working on it. Finding the entrance to the rail yard was a challenge!

4449_South_Jct_9_17_06_-_Flickr_-_drewj1946.jpg

Another time I flew him to Klammath Falls for a visit to Crater Lake, and he enjoyed following from the air a rail line that crosses the Cascades.

I was parked close to the Houston Rockets jet a few weeks ago. Yes, I took some shots while preflighting. The jet served as a nice counterpoint to a nearby Air Tractor, which was being ferried from Pennsylvania to Brazil. I've also parked near the planes of Roman Abramovich and Lewis Hamilton (before he gave his up, of course). Again, nice opportunities, nice pictures and nice memories.

Exactly!! I was in Houston a couple of months ago and one of the guys working at the museum knew that I was an aviation photographer. He told a couple of the volunteers and they came over to show me some of their photos. They had pics of the Houston Rockets jet (based there), the newest Southwest 737 that is painted like the American flag, etc. While not something I would want to do, I liked their passion and they had some cool pics. It's almost like a game with them, showing each other their photos.

I was parked close to the Houston Rockets jet a few weeks ago. Yes, I took some shots while preflighting. The jet served as a nice counterpoint to a nearby Air Tractor, which was being ferried from Pennsylvania to Brazil. I've also parked near the planes of Roman Abramovich and Lewis Hamilton (before he gave his up, of course). Again, nice opportunities, nice pictures and nice memories.
They usually keep it at Houston Hobby, parked next to the 1940 Air Terminal Museum.

I met Shaq at the Baton Rouge airport on the way to an LSU game. He's huge! Later we saw him walking the sideline during the game. Even from a long way away, you could easily spot him.

While interests and objectives vary widely, it's important to keep in mind that the spotting itself need not be the primary mission. It can simply be the garnish on an otherwise outstanding experience. Why not find a nice place to relax with a bite to eat and a cool drink while letting the action come to you?!
sb commuter.jpg

So a bit more info. This particular group run a livestream from DFW

So a bit more info. This particular group run a livestream from DFW

I understand plane spotting. I couldn't listen to that stream for more than 15 seconds. the guy said "yonder approacheth....", that was it for me.

I understand plane spotting. I couldn't listen to that stream for more than 15 seconds. the guy said "yonder approacheth....", that was it for me.

Well, that is how they used to announce aircraft during the medieval times. So maybe it was something designed by slide rule on approach. Like a DC-3, Sopwith Camel or 737.

Hi,
Lots of dudes with cameras, zoom lenses, laptops, video cameras.
What is it exactly that they are doing? They snap photos of every plane landing and taking off.

Oh, this is Founder's Plaza viewing area at DFW
View attachment 116442

Still a better hobby than gluing yourself to a busy street (as seen in e.g. berlin).

Tobias

In my area, if someone is taking pictures at the airport it usually the Department of Taxation, trying to drum up more money.

In my area, if someone is taking pictures at the airport it usually the Department of Taxation, trying to drum up more money.

I ran in to that guy once (County property tax) taking N numbers down at the ramp.

Hah! There you go.

It also seems to be a more common thing outside the US, for whatever reason.
That's always been the case. The very best aircraft encyclopedias, especially those that include general aviation, always seem to have come from Britain. The annual, pocket-sized Observers' Book of Aircraft by William Green was something I looked forward to every year. The best aviation television documentary also came from Britain -- the BBC's 12-hour epic Reaching for The Skies (1988).

My WAG is that where there is less opportunity to engage in the actual flying (e.g., expense, onerous regulation, etc.), enthusiasts turn to spotting, photography or other peripheral aviation activities.

My late favorite cousin was an avid model railroader, and his favorite real-life steam locomotive was Southern Pacific 4449. I enjoyed driving him to see it in person where it was based in Portland, OR. He enjoyed talking with the people who were there working on it. Finding the entrance to the rail yard was a challenge!

4449_South_Jct_9_17_06_-_Flickr_-_drewj1946.jpg

I've been known to aim a camera at ex-SP 4449 a time or two myself ... including from my Sport Cub. :D

IMG_3859_HDR.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

That's always been the case. The very best aircraft encyclopedias, especially those that include general aviation, always seem to have come from Britain. The annual, pocket-sized Observers' Book of Aircraft by William Green was something I looked forward to every year. The best aviation television documentary also came from Britain -- the BBC's 12-hour epic Reaching for The Skies (1988).

My WAG is that where there is less opportunity to engage in the actual flying (e.g., expense, onerous regulation, etc.), enthusiasts turn to spotting, photography or other peripheral aviation activities.

I lived in the UK for a few years in the early 2000s and have been back for work a few times since. I agree, the Brits seemed to be much more involved/interested in all aspects of aviation than the US per capita. Tail spotters would set up camp in an RV with antennas sticking out everywhere and all kinds of camera gear. I talked to many of them, and found a lot were pilots themselves (retired or current) coming to watch military aircraft. Many of the older people I talked to in the early 2000s still remembered the Battle of Britain in WWII, and took plane spotting up as a sense of pride, or to help identify enemy aircraft in the area during the war. Many of those passed on the hobby to the younger generations.

I didn’t see as many tail spotters the last time I was there (last year), but there were still a few around.

Me personally, I could sit and watch airplanes for hours on end, and have. But I’m a bit of an aviation nut; it’s my passion and my job (av maintenance and engineering…only fly as a hobby).

Back