Expired CFI

One data point going back to 1993. I was a captain at a commuter airline under FAR 135. I traveled to the FSDO that had oversite of my airline. I asked the POI to renew my CFI and he refused citing lack of personal knowledge of my instructing skills.

Thoughts on American Flyer FIRC? I've always used Gleim but the AF "pay once" plan seems pretty attractive.

Years ago the AF firc required you to have the window open for the required study time. Obviously you can do other things while the clock ticks but you couldn't go at your own pace. If they haven't changed that I would gladly pay for the gleim course.

Years ago the AF firc required you to have the window open for the required study time. Obviously you can do other things while the clock ticks but you couldn't go at your own pace. If they haven't changed that I would gladly pay for the gleim course.

I didn't see a timer on it this time around. I think it is gone.

I didn't see a timer on it this time around. I think it is gone.

Timer was there as of October 2012. Not only do you have to thave the window open, there has to be some sort of "activity" in the window. Usually clicking to the next page in a section.

Timer was there as of October 2012. Not only do you have to thave the window open, there has to be some sort of "activity" in the window. Usually clicking to the next page in a section.

Well, I just finished mine a week ago.

You set em up, I knock em down. :D

I like arguing with Ron but he is correct in 99.99994% of the debates..:redface:..

And this feedback is dead on..... Follow his advise...:yes:

This is one of those .00006 times that Ron is incorrect. Check with a DPE, you'll see. :yes:

This is one of those .00006 times that Ron is incorrect. Check with a DPE, you'll see. :yes:
Perhaps you can point out what it is in 61.199 which you think provides a way to reinstate an expired CFI ticket without taking a CFI practical test:
[(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate who has not complied with the flight instructor renewal requirements of Sec. 61.197 may reinstate that flight instructor certificate and ratings by filing a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following reinstatement requirements:
(1) A flight instructor certification practical test, as prescribed by Sec. 61.183(h), for one of the ratings held on the expired flight instructor certificate.
(2) A flight instructor certification practical test for an additional rating.]
...or some other FAA document which provides relief from 61.199(a) for reinstatements.

You can go to a DPE and take a checkride to re instate, or as you suggest get your MEI.

It's really no big deal. :dunno:

Id go that route, it'll also help knock that rust off and get you to a point you could safely act as a CFI

Thoughts on American Flyer FIRC? I've always used Gleim but the AF "pay once" plan seems pretty attractive.

I just did it for the first time and it is an order of magnitude better than Gleim besides, as you noted, one price for life (yours or theirs).

Jim

I'm using King program right now, not shabby, seems current, works on my ipad and they take care of all the paperwork.

I'm using King program right now, not shabby, seems current, works on my ipad and they take care of all the paperwork.
For anyone late to the party, it appears that some folks (like James) are talking about renewing unexpired CFI tickets, while the original post (and my answer about needing a practical test) was about reinstating an expired CFI ticket -- and the rules are very different. See 14 CFR 61.197 (renewal) and 61.199 (reinstatement) for details.

Perhaps you can point out what it is in 61.199 which you think provides a way to reinstate an expired CFI ticket without taking a CFI practical test:
...or some other FAA document which provides relief from 61.199(a) for reinstatements.

Ron, I see where this question was resolved at entry #9 about DPE discretion regarding the complex airplane requirement for a renewal or reinstatement. That's the issue I was bucking about. Sorry about the confusion.

Back