Experimental -v- Certified

I've never spent more than $100 for certified parts for my bonanza or citabria. I never needed any for the citabria and on the bonanza, I needed two flap bumpers and four fair leads. How often do you think you'll be buying certified airframes parts from the manufacturer? For the most part it's fuel, oil, spark plugs, engine overhauls, radios, tires, etc. Even if you did need an airframe part, used parts are a realistic option especially for something fairly common like a bonanza, archer, 172, etc.

What parts did you buy at home depot that would have cost thousands if they were certified, wing bolts ;)?

If you've never had to pay more than $100 for a part for your Bonanza or Citabria you're the exception not the rule and your day will come. There are parts on my experimental that would cost much more then that.

The thing about an experimental is that you can do what you want. If you're someone like me that is rather mechanical and likes to experiment with things in general the flexibility is extremely attractive. No concers with expensive STCs or "you can't do that" around every single corner.

I replaced my entire tailwheel assembly on my Flybaby with a brand new much better version for $150. Try that on a certified. I used hash chain from Home Depot for like 50 cents a foot. Online I read story after story of people having mechanics insist on aircraft spruce hash chain at $4 a foot. Those things add up.

I have some plans to develop some avionics for it on my own using an Arduino. On again, not a realilistic option in the certified world.

My entire canopy can be built from Home Depot parts for maybe $50. Price out what an entire certified airplane canopy would cost. That is a many thousands example.

If you've never had to pay more than $100 for a part for your Bonanza or Citabria you're the exception not the rule and your day will come. There are parts on my experimental that would cost much more then that.

The thing about an experimental is that you can do what you want. If you're someone like me that is rather mechanical and likes to experiment with things in general the flexibility is extremely attractive. No concers with expensive STCs or "you can't do that" around every single corner.

I replaced my entire tailwheel assembly on my Flybaby with a brand new much better version for $150. Try that on a certified. I used hash chain from Home Depot for like 50 cents a foot. Online I read story after story of people having mechanics insist on aircraft spruce hash chain at $4 a foot. Those things add up.

I have some plans to develop some avionics for it on my own using an Arduino. On again, not a realilistic option in the certified world.

My entire canopy can be built from Home Depot parts for maybe $50. Price out what an entire certified airplane canopy would cost. That is a many thousands example.

I'm tryin' to think of anything... I had a mag rebuild, that was $1000 But with few exceptions, experimental run the same mags.

A spinner bulkhead that cracked was $50.

I did spend $300 on oil cooler hoses..... not sure how an experimental would get out of that bill using Home Depot either.

I had to buy a wheel pants mounting bracket.. that was $75 bucks.

A pricey starter adapter cracked on me... but again, a similar exp would have to buy the same one.

I know of some parts like stall switches, some landing gear parts etc.. that get pricey, but I've never had to replace any of that, they're not items that go bad very often and even then, the need to source them from the factory is almost non-existent.

If you're based at a Signature type FBO and they're your only A&P/IA option. I could see a benefit in the EXP world. But the work I feel comfortable doing my A&P/IA doesn't seem to have any hang ups about letting me do it.

I'm also mechanical enough to get in trouble. I worked rebuilding motocross bike engines, 4 wheelers, lawn mowers and have top overhauled a car or two and can run about any machine in a tool and die shop well enough to get by.

In 5 years of ownership, I just haven't seen a big bill on a part yet, nor written a check to an A&P for something I would have otherwise done myself.

It's not just parts. I've been watching the maintenance and repair costs for the flying club I belong to... '69 172, early 80s 182 and an Arrow of some vintage or other.

We've had a number of trips to the avionics shop with the 182 and the Arrow to fix various GPS wiring issues, and now a CDI or two is acting up. Hey, it's 30-40 year old wiring that's been hacked on a few times over its lifetime, things happen. The 172 had a fuel sender go bad, that was only a few hundred bucks to fix. I'm perfectly capable of doing my own wiring, thanks, and don't need anyone to sign off on the repair. Plus, when the -7 is finished it will be brand new. I probably won't have wiring starting to fail from age and vibration during my lifetime.

Plus... 165+ knot cruise at 7 or 8 GPH in a brand new airplane with state of the art avionics is appealing to me. I didn't think I'd enjoy building as much as I am. I doubt I'll want to do it twice, but I'm gaining a very satisfying understanding of how these things are built. Once flying I will have absolute confidence in the airplane, since I'll literally know for sure that every single rivet and bolt is done right.

As for the title of this thread... what's currently taking shape in my garage will be a certified airplane. It will have an FAA inspection and will be issued an airworthiness certificate, just like any other flying aircraft.

It's not just parts. I've been watching the maintenance and repair costs for the flying club I belong to... '69 172, early 80s 182 and an Arrow of some vintage or other.

We've had a number of trips to the avionics shop with the 182 and the Arrow to fix various GPS wiring issues, and now a CDI or two is acting up. Hey, it's 30-40 year old wiring that's been hacked on a few times over its lifetime, things happen. The 172 had a fuel sender go bad, that was only a few hundred bucks to fix. I'm perfectly capable of doing my own wiring, thanks, and don't need anyone to sign off on the repair. Plus, when the -7 is finished it will be brand new. I probably won't have wiring starting to fail from age and vibration during my lifetime.

Plus... 165+ knot cruise at 7 or 8 GPH in a brand new airplane with state of the art avionics is appealing to me. I didn't think I'd enjoy building as much as I am. I doubt I'll want to do it twice, but I'm gaining a very satisfying understanding of how these things are built. Once flying I will have absolute confidence in the airplane, since I'll literally know for sure that every single rivet and bolt is done right.

As for the title of this thread... what's currently taking shape in my garage will be a certified airplane. It will have an FAA inspection and will be issued an airworthiness certificate, just like any other flying aircraft.
Minus part 23 testing...that said I agree that a RV built to plans with proper mx is as safe as about any certified.

OK.. My interest is piqued. I've been trying to find something useful I could use the RPi for in the airplane, now you dropped the bombshell of the Arduino.

The rest of my day is shot now...

Minus part 23 testing...that said I agree that a RV built to plans with proper mx is as safe as about any certified.

The problem is folks that don't have mechanical aptitude (or sense to research) or diligence to build a plane let alone maintain one. Some builders exceed part 23 requirements and even get carried away from
paranoia. When I can read endless pages on firewall feedthrough discussions about what to seal them with etc I tend to giggle a little.

Other side of the coin, when I read about a Cessna fuel selector being resealed and the airplane ending up the trees afterwards all I can say is WTF! Pretty critical that while re-assembling the valve that you pay attention and think "what could go wrong here" and then verify it functions correctly at installation. I've had a Cessna valve like that apart where tiny ball bearings ride on a cam to move larger balls off the seats. I made damn sure there was no attitude or position the little balls could fall out of place when it went together.

It will always be a game of trade-offs in which each player gets to decide which of them he values over the others. Anybody who understands aerodynamics knows why the speed and fuel numbers are possible, and also understands how that works against other desirable issues.

The first time I helped build a Christen Eagle was during the 1970's and I knew from that moment I would never build anything for myself. But I also knew I could spend much less time working to achieve a better airplane result (for both business and family travel) if I worked at the office rather than in the garage.
YMMV

In 5 years of ownership, I just haven't seen a big bill on a part yet, nor written a check to an A&P for something I would have otherwise done myself.

OMFG, don't EVER say that out loud. Or put it in writing.

You are now officially, probably permanently, jinxed.

Your $6 stall indicator switch (that sells for $1200) is now just hanging by a thread.
:D

OMFG, don't EVER say that out loud. Or put it in writing.

You are now officially, probably permanently, jinxed.

Your $6 stall indicator switch (that sells for $1200) is now just hanging by a thread.
:D

What big ticket items did you need for your Cherokee?

It will always be a game of trade-offs in which each player gets to decide which of them he values over the others. Anybody who understands aerodynamics knows why the speed and fuel numbers are possible, and also understands how that works against other desirable issues.

The first time I helped build a Christen Eagle was during the 1970's and I knew from that moment I would never build anything for myself. But I also knew I could spend much less time working to achieve a better airplane result (for both business and family travel) if I worked at the office rather than in the garage.
YMMV
True on the first point. The -7 will be fast and slick, but not a lot of room for the big cooler and oversized suitcases... or extra people. I could get all that room in an experimental as well, but it would cost more than it's worth to us.

Experimental planes and construction methods have come a long, LONG way since building Christen Eagles in the 70s. I know guys who are scratch building from plans. If I had to form my own ribs and mark & drill every rivet hole, I'd be buying something instead. I wouldn't even build an RV-4 or -6, to be honest, and scratch building is simply not something I'd consider. I'm building as a means to an end.

As for the second... the time I spend building is, for me, recreational time. I'd be doing something for enjoyment during those hours, now I just have a little more focus. I don't watch a lot of TV, and spend less time in front of the computer. In other words -- there is no loss of income from the time spent building. I suppose if I were still self employed it might be different, but I did that once. I feel much better now.

What big ticket items did you need for your Cherokee?

My current plane (the Pathfinder), we could start with the new engine in 2002. Later, how about a $95 oil cooler that cost something stupid -- like, $600+? lol

Let's see, on the Warrior we had...

- Stall indicator switch, $1200
- Front fork, $900
- Strobes (can't remember, but North of $1000)
- Anything in the panel -- triple what it should cost.

I am gratefully looking forward to being able to buy affordable sophisticated avionics for our RV-8A.

As for the second... the time I spend building is, for me, recreational time. I'd be doing something for enjoyment during those hours, now I just have a little more focus. I don't watch a lot of TV, and spend less time in front of the computer. In other words -- there is no loss of income from the time spent building. I suppose if I were still self employed it might be different, but I did that once. I feel much better now.

I have heard this from every successful homebuilder. Basically, building the plane becomes your sole (or very nearly sole) recreational outlet.

I have also heard this as the reason for failing, from homebuilders who have given up on their project. The devotion required, over a very long period of time, is stunning.

As I said upstream, I have a friend who is a few months from "first flight" in his new RV-6A. In the decade he has worked on it, taking up most of his free time, I have personally remodeled two small hotels. THAT is the kind of time commitment it takes to build an airplane -- and is why I chose to buy a completed RV-8A, rather than building one.

As I said upstream, I have a friend who is a few months from "first flight" in his new RV-6A. In the decade he has worked on it, taking up most of his free time, I have personally remodeled two small hotels. THAT is the kind of time commitment it takes to build an airplane -- and is why I chose to buy a completed RV-8A, rather than building one.
Big difference in build time, I think, between a 6 and a 7. I don't think the 6 was pre-punched; the 7 is, and that saves a ton of time. I've heard about and talked to guys who have taken 6, 8, 10, 15 years to finish an airplane. I have other interests -- flying, for one. If I though it would take me five or more years to finish I'd never have started it. It's a balancing act, but the payoff will be worth it.

Now - my wife has just flown with me for the second time, and the first trip over an hour each way. I'm not ruling out the possibility that somewhere along the line we may decide that our needs are different than what I'm building -- but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Of course I'd have to figure out how to afford the Pilatus. :)

Got a friend who finished his RV-7 in just under 2 yrs. He had help from a friend but he was building an RV-8. His took about 3 yrs to complete. Both are non fast builds as well.

I'd love to build a plane one day. Right now I just don't have the time, room or money.

I have heard this from every successful homebuilder. Basically, building the plane becomes your sole (or very nearly sole) recreational outlet.

I have also heard this as the reason for failing, from homebuilders who have given up on their project. The devotion required, over a very long period of time, is stunning.

Most of my recreational time? Not really. But it took a long series of decisions and investments to make the project fit my desires.

Moving on to a residential airpark and building an oversize hangar was the key enabler. Buying the Maule and flying it for 10 years to achieve some goals (IR, TW) and to establish "my mission". Said another way, I would never have mounted such a project without a plane to fly and a home shop.

Once I decided that building a plane was something I wanted to do, I surveyed the options and decided that a quick build RV was my best choice. The RV7 looked best but the RV10 was ideal - fast, roomy, rough field capable, big engine, quick build, highly evolved.

I figured it would take 4-5 years to complete while working full time (at home) and still allowing us to play on weekends.

However it effectively took 6 years. One year was spent putting in a large, insulated, will lit workshop with HVAC. Worth every $$ and minute because building the '10 became a painless and casual process. No car trip to the airport required, no major reconfiguration of the space for different stages, comfortable on the hottest and coldest day.

The first 3 years of the build had a minimal impact on the rest of our lives. TV at home was replaced by radio and music in the shop. All my reading was project oriented. But we still flew out to the lake every weekend and made all the usual trips in the Maule. I tended to work long periods on Friday evenings after work was done and tended to push off the weekend trip to later on Saturday... Saturdays were particularly productive.

However, the last 2 years became increasingly focused on the project. The Maule did a lot less flying, at least until it was used to commute to the final assembly airport. As the '10 started looking like an airplane, it was difficult to fly the Maule on cross countries because I'd spend all my time running the '10's numbers thru my head, "We'd have been there an hour ago in the '10".

Pride and obsession took over during the final stages. I committed to not only doing my own panel but also doing the paint. I scaled back my work commitments as my desire to finish motivated me to work 7 days a week during the last year. A very exciting time! And ironically, 4-5 months of the most enjoyable open cockpit Maule flying as i commuted to the final assembly airport.

The project does mean that our cars are very old and we will probably never buy one new. Of course, they rarely ever make a 100 mile trip.

I was fortunate enough to be able to 'retire' concurrent with finishing the '10. Though I now have all the time in the world and enough resources to be a repeat offender, that's not in the plans at this point. I have the plane I want. I'm enjoying maintaining it and doing small upgrades. I'll have flown 350 hours its first 2 years. My wife has turned more and more of the shop into a mosaics studio.

There's something special about flying something you've built. Just like owning feels better than renting, even if it's not the ideal financial arrangement, flying something you've built feels better than just owning...

Last week I flew into KHPN and accidently ran into an NBAA conference of some kind. There was a lot of GA equipment on the ramps. As I was shutting down, a Mooney pulled up. We would have owned a Mooney if it could have handled our field. Anyway,watching the pilot extricate himself from the low seating position and thru the passenger door caused us to sit up a little straighter in our upright seating as we flung open the 2 gull wing doors and stepped down from our perch. Sweet!

Then I had to try and control my drooling as a Pilatus taxied past.... oh well, can't have eveything.

And Jay, it's fun watching you transitioning to a hot RV8! As different as our flying desires and missions have been, you've been able to satisfy yours with the Pathfinder and now the '8. Enjoy! :yes:

Got a friend who finished his RV-7 in just under 2 yrs. He had help from a friend but he was building an RV-8. His took about 3 yrs to complete. Both are non fast builds as well.

I'd love to build a plane one day. Right now I just don't have the time, room or money.

Dad and I built the -7A in 2.5 years (almost down to the day) from the day that dad placed the first order to Van's to the first flight. It was a slow-build kit. We probably waited on parts for a total of 6 months (wing kits were back-ordered when we were ready for them), so I could definitely see someone doing it in < 2 years.

The -10, that dad did mostly himself, had QB wings and he was able to get it finished up in a little over two years. I mostly only helped with major assembly stuff on the -10 (strong back, weak mind kind of stuff ;)).

Most of my recreational time? Not really. But it took a long series of decisions and investments to make the project fit my desires.

Moving on to a residential airpark and building an oversize hangar was the key enabler. Buying the Maule and flying it for 10 years to achieve some goals (IR, TW) and to establish "my mission". Said another way, I would never have mounted such a project without a plane to fly and a home shop.

Once I decided that building a plane was something I wanted to do, I surveyed the options and decided that a quick build RV was my best choice. The RV7 looked best but the RV10 was ideal - fast, roomy, rough field capable, big engine, quick build, highly evolved.

I figured it would take 4-5 years to complete while working full time (at home) and still allowing us to play on weekends.

However it effectively took 6 years. One year was spent putting in a large, insulated, will lit workshop with HVAC. Worth every $$ and minute because building the '10 became a painless and casual process. No car trip to the airport required, no major reconfiguration of the space for different stages, comfortable on the hottest and coldest day.

The first 3 years of the build had a minimal impact on the rest of our lives. TV at home was replaced by radio and music in the shop. All my reading was project oriented. But we still flew out to the lake every weekend and made all the usual trips in the Maule. I tended to work long periods on Friday evenings after work was done and tended to push off the weekend trip to later on Saturday... Saturdays were particularly productive.

However, the last 2 years became increasingly focused on the project. The Maule did a lot less flying, at least until it was used to commute to the final assembly airport. As the '10 started looking like an airplane, it was difficult to fly the Maule on cross countries because I'd spend all my time running the '10's numbers thru my head, "We'd have been there an hour ago in the '10".

Pride and obsession took over during the final stages. I committed to not only doing my own panel but also doing the paint. I scaled back my work commitments as my desire to finish motivated me to work 7 days a week during the last year. A very exciting time! And ironically, 4-5 months of the most enjoyable open cockpit Maule flying as i commuted to the final assembly airport.

The project does mean that our cars are very old and we will probably never buy one new. Of course, they rarely ever make a 100 mile trip.

I was fortunate enough to be able to 'retire' concurrent with finishing the '10. Though I now have all the time in the world and enough resources to be a repeat offender, that's not in the plans at this point. I have the plane I want. I'm enjoying maintaining it and doing small upgrades. I'll have flown 350 hours its first 2 years. My wife has turned more and more of the shop into a mosaics studio.

There's something special about flying something you've built. Just like owning feels better than renting, even if it's not the ideal financial arrangement, flying something you've built feels better than just owning...

Last week I flew into KHPN and accidently ran into an NBAA conference of some kind. There was a lot of GA equipment on the ramps. As I was shutting down, a Mooney pulled up. We would have owned a Mooney if it could have handled our field. Anyway,watching the pilot extricate himself from the low seating position and thru the passenger door caused us to sit up a little straighter in our upright seating as we flung open the 2 gull wing doors and stepped down from our perch. Sweet!

Then I had to try and control my drooling as a Pilatus taxied past.... oh well, can't have eveything.

And Jay, it's fun watching you transitioning to a hot RV8! As different as our flying desires and missions have been, you've been able to satisfy yours with the Pathfinder and now the '8. Enjoy! :yes:

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. In an alternate universe, that might have been my story.

Then, we bought a hotel... lol

As for my mission evolving, it's been a long, strange journey over the last 15 years.

1. Just fly! Rent often.
2. Renting sucks! Buy Warrior.
3. Warrior is too weak to carry my growing family! Buy bigger Pathfinder.
4. Son learned to fly! Needs something cheap to operate! Buy Ercoupe.
5. Move to Texas, far from Ercoupe partners. Son is in college, stops flying, for now. Sell Ercoupe.
6. Kids grown, business needs changed, don't need giant useful load. Put Pathfinder on the market.
7. Downsize to faster, more fun, blessedly non-certified RV-8A.

When I started this journey, I never would have dreamt of ending up in an RV-8A, but here I am.

I bent the first metal on my 9A in January 2008, and as some other have noted it has become pretty much my sole recreational activity. I obsess about it, think about it while at work, bug the receptionist at my office pretty much daily to see if my latest parts order has come in yet. Right now I'm finishing the panel and the engine is hung, I'm realistically 10-12 months from first flight and I can't wait for it.

I fully recognize that I took not only the "road less travelled", but I'm breaking fresh trail through heavy undergrowth. My airplane is being intentionally built to be an EarthRounder, I intend to fly it around the world which requires some interesting fuel arrangements as well as excellent instrumentation. I've had that dream only slightly longer that I've actually been building my airplane and I'm counting the days until it may actually become a reality. Only 4 people in recorded history have flown their own-constructed (others have purchased one and modified it) homebuilt single solo around the world. I don't know if I'll be #5 or #6 or #21, but I'll be on that list sooner or later.

Crazy? maybe...
Dedicated? like you wouldn't believe...

It's not for everyone - but for a select few it's everything.

Oh yeah - I already know what my next airplane is gonna be! :D

I bent the first metal on my 9A in January 2008, and as some other have noted it has become pretty much my sole recreational activity. I obsess about it, think about it while at work, bug the receptionist at my office pretty much daily to see if my latest parts order has come in yet. Right now I'm finishing the panel and the engine is hung, I'm realistically 10-12 months from first flight and I can't wait for it.

I fully recognize that I took not only the "road less travelled", but I'm breaking fresh trail through heavy undergrowth. My airplane is being intentionally built to be an EarthRounder, I intend to fly it around the world which requires some interesting fuel arrangements as well as excellent instrumentation. I've had that dream only slightly longer that I've actually been building my airplane and I'm counting the days until it may actually become a reality. Only 4 people in recorded history have flown their own-constructed (others have purchased one and modified it) homebuilt single solo around the world. I don't know if I'll be #5 or #6 or #21, but I'll be on that list sooner or later.

Crazy? maybe...
Dedicated? like you wouldn't believe...

It's not for everyone - but for a select few it's everything.

Oh yeah - I already know what my next airplane is gonna be! :D

What a terrific dream and adventure! Hope it goes well and we get the details along the way. The best of luck to you....:yes:

Your post clarifies why I'm looking for an RV-8 instead of building one. After reading about it in the EAA forums, I know I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment.

Back to the OP, I have no bias or turn my nose up towards any pilot in the air in anything. Certified, experimental, LSA, ...

heck ... even jumping off the roof of your house with a bed sheet .... that's how I started out. Give me that guy. I want to fly with the bedsheet parachute guys.... :yes::D

Your post clarifies why I'm looking for an RV-8 instead of building one. After reading about it in the EAA forums, I know I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment.

Back to the OP, I have no bias or turn my nose up towards any pilot in the air in anything. Certified, experimental, LSA, ...

heck ... even jumping off the roof of your house with a bed sheet .... that's how I started out. Give me that guy. I want to fly with the bedsheet parachute guys.... :yes::D

When I was five years old, I put a blanket around my neck and jumped down a flight of stairs, convinced that I could fly.

Nothing has really changed since. :D

When I was five years old, I put a blanket around my neck and jumped down a flight of stairs, convinced that I could fly.

Nothing has really changed since. :D

You may enter the bedsheet/blanket flyers club.... :D

Sidetrack: I got a Nexus 7 and GDL 39 because of your thread, and I'm happy with it. A big thanks is in order. :)

Hmmm. I never did the bedsheet parachute thing, because I sensed that it wouldn't be anywhere near big enough and I'd probably break a leg. Odd that I had enough sense not to do that, but now I'm building what will no doubt become a flaming deathtrap, plunging to the ground because it wasn't built by guys in Wichita. :D

Hmmm. I never did the bedsheet parachute thing, because I sensed that it wouldn't be anywhere near big enough and I'd probably break a leg. Odd that I had enough sense not to do that, but now I'm building what will no doubt become a flaming deathtrap, plunging to the ground because it wasn't built by guys in Wichita. :D

I know any plane I attempt to build might take 20 years and probably $1MM.

even if it's an RV quickbuild ..... ;):D

I really admire builders. Hats off to you....

Lets just hope there's another weird singer out there who believes your "no design flaw" theory when you go to sell it. Yeah, it worked quite well for a few hours. When dropping a mirror or an INOP autopilot causes a fuel concern.... design flaw. It seems you're the one interested in how cheaply put together your plane is, I'm not seeing green or any other color. Consumer grade electronics mounted in the panel and deemed "glass" don't impress me much, seems like a waste of 2500 bucks if you ask me, but its your money and as long as you're happy I'm happy for you.

So sad to see a poster with so little knowledge of the facts. Look in Barnstormers and see how often our fabulous canards are bought and sold. Never, EVER, been a problem like that stupid deal since.
Anything else you care to mislead us about?
Get your facts straight and then maybe we'll listen. Until then...... :nonod:

By the way, did it ever occur to your critical mind that Denver's system was built almost 20 years ago? No, didn't think so. My cheap glass, that doesn't impress you, tells me what my fuel condition is to the 10th of a gallon now, earlier, and in the future. What does yours do, and at what cost? And yes, the mirror is a backup and works quite well. Remember, Keep It Simple Stupid (something you should understand) is the way to go.

Any damned fool can criticize, but it takes a genius to design it in the first place.
— Edgar Schmued, Chief Designer North American Aviation.
www.Sierrahotel.net

Burt designed it and I DARE you to criticize one of the most impressive designers of our lifetime - go on, go for it you t**t. :lol:

PS: Another interesting quote today from NASCAR, and a smoking good Owner, that directly relates to this guy's comments on Experimental Aviation:

“We were surprised to read the recent comments and accusations made by Brad Keselowski,” Gibbs said in a statement. “Clearly those comments are misguided and irresponsible. Brad’s candor is well documented, but he would do well to only speak to subjects on which he is properly informed.

Last edited:
Back