Experimental -v- Certified

This is one of the silliest threads I have ever read. Who cares what you fly? If it meets your needs, you could be levitating via David Copperfield and more "power" to you for all I care. . :rolleyes:

Cheers

That's what I thought. You don't strike me as the type who would own something that some might actually call fun to fly. ;)

Sure.

My Luscombe 8A? How about the PA-22/20 I had? Citabria 7ECA? Naw, no fun in your book.

Of course the various helicopters I've owned would simply bore someone such as yourself, as well as the Beech 18H I once owned.

Here's how I view this thread:

A group of 4 year olds:

"My Spider-Man tricycle is the best! Better than your Avenger tricycle!"

"No it's not! My Avenger tricycle is better!"

"You're a doodoo head! I'm going home and tell on you!!"

"Waaaaaaaaa! Mommy make him stop!"

Sure.

My Luscombe 8A? How about the PA-22/20 I had? Citabria 7ECA? Naw, no fun in your book.

Of course the various helicopters I've owned would simply bore someone such as yourself, as well as the Beech 18H I once owned.

A group of 4 year olds:

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl:;)

Sure.

A group of 4 year olds:

I was just trying to get you to answer the question. It worked. ;) I like all those planes you listed...even though the 7ECA is a major pig. :D I'd like to know how you found the 7ECA impressive, but not the RV. LOL.

And BTW, I'm not one of these "the only airplane to fly is an RV" types. I don't even know any of those types. And I don't fit your description above. Maybe there are those out there that do. I got rid of my RV. I enjoyed it while i had it. Now I have something that suits my interests better. I don't care what anyone flies. I was just ribbing you because you were so dismissive of the RV. If you woulda said the same thing about a Super Cub, I would have done the same. :D And I don't even own a Super Cub.

I was just trying to get you to answer the question. It worked. ;) I like all those planes you listed...even though the 7ECA is a major pig. :D I'd like to know how you found the 7ECA impressive, but not the RV. LOL.

And BTW, I'm not one of these "the only airplane to fly is an RV" types. I don't even know any of those types. And I don't fit your description above. Maybe there are those out there that do. I got rid of my RV. I enjoyed it while i had it. Now I have something that suits my interests better. I don't care what anyone flies. I was just ribbing you because you were so dismissive of the RV. If you woulda said the same thing about a Super Cub, I would have done the same. :D And I don't even own a Super Cub.

Apparently English comprehension is not your strong point. ;)

Please show us where I made the statement that any plane I owned I called "impressive".

As far as being "dismissive" of the RV series, I made the statement I didn't feel they were "impressive" and not for me.

Is that really that hard to comprehend?

Well a 7ECA can MAKE MONEY, the only reason I ten to lean away from experimentals is because I don't have the liberty to try to figure a way for it to earn it's keep. FYI supercubs are overrated, nice planes but not enough performance to justify the cost since all the doctors and wannabe bush pilots have been driving up the prices.

This thread is a little silly

I'm sure the guy who drives this.

honda-civic-hatchback.jpg

Has a lot in common with the guy who drives this:

ford-model-t.jpg

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

Experimental vs certified is like rock & roll vs country. It's silly, you just can't compare the two.

IMHO the "push back" you are feeling is from over coming the negativity this forum has had towards EAB.

Agreed.

I quit participating on this forum for over a year because of one knucklehead in particular's anti-EAB rants.

Perhaps I needed thicker skin. Perhaps I just needed to realize some people will never have an open mind and won't "get it".

Tim

Again, EABs are a great alternative. I've flown in RVs, and I can say with no reservation whatsoever that they are indeed awesome aircraft. But the two-seaters wouldn't fit my mission at all, I couldn't even do the trip I just did in one. An RV10 is simply out of my price range, and if I had that kind of cash I'd probably be looking at Bonanzas anyway.

Now I didn't say I don't like Lynard Skynard or Elvis.

I rank honky tonk badunkadunk right up there with bieber and ga ga.

Gimme Hank Sr.

I'm kinda partial to Darius Rucker right now... and would fly either Certified or EAB...

Oh, and The Rifleman is better than Bonanza. :)

I'm kinda partial to Darius Rucker right now... and would fly either Certified or EAB...

Oh, and The Rifleman is better than Bonanza. :)

Hootie? That's who country music has gone all in with? Hootie? :rofl:

I don't know what kind of plane The Rifleman is, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. :D

I just went to the Home Depot and bought some airplane parts. Now I'm headed to the airport to install and test out my new airplane parts. What costs someone else a few thousand if possible at all costs me a few dollars. Certified? No thanks.

I just went to the Home Depot and bought some airplane parts. Now I'm headed to the airport to install and test out my new airplane parts. What costs someone else a few thousand if possible at all costs me a few dollars. Certified? No thanks.

Ahhh... with the exception of some paperwork required that I had to purchase from piper. I don't think I've ever paid more for a certified part than I would have for an experimental. I am aware of some stall switches, landing gear parts, fuel selector valves that can get pricey... but the common stuff that typically goes bad... not so much and I certainly don't want a Home Depot fuel selector.

Ahhh... with the exception of some paperwork required that I had to purchase from piper. I don't think I've ever paid more for a certified part than I would have for an experimental. I am aware of some stall switches, landing gear parts, fuel selector valves that can get pricey... but the common stuff that typically goes bad... not so much and I certainly don't want a Home Depot fuel selector.

How'd you know what I was working on? A little PVC and some parts from a kitchen faucet will actually make a hell of a fuel selector, I figure, will report back after the test flight.

How'd you know what I was working on? A little PVC and some parts from a kitchen faucet will actually make a hell of a fuel selector, I figure, will report back after the test flight.

You do wear a parachute don't you?

P.S. Don't forget the vice grips, I hear they work well for a selector handle.

And be sure to pick up one of those shop mirrors so you can see the fuel gauges.

Oh and don't forget to turn the auotpilot on before you swap tanks.

:D

:eek:

I hope you are kidding. :eek:

:eek:

I'll bring my flaring tool and meet you at your hangar. :yes:

I can remember when homebuilt interiors and panels looked like a PVC jungle interspersed with dangling wires. Now they got all the neat glass stuff and most of the PCB fleet has 30-year old steam gages.

And be sure to pick up one of those shop mirrors so you can see the fuel gauges.

Last edited:
Unless you're instructing, of course. I guess you could try for a LODA for the Flybaby, but it wouldn't do much good! :)

Works great. If I want to burn out of my main tank I set it to cold. If I want to burn out of the aux I just set it to hot. I can even burn out of both by setting it to warm. It leaks a little gas - but not much - my carburetor leaks more.

I'm surprised you would stoop to Home Depot for aircraft parts, try Lowes Aerospace....

I use my girlfriend's makeup mirror, works great! Of course my$2,500 glass panel tells me fuel flow, gph, mpg, fuel burned, fuel to destination etc. etc.
What's that doctor killer panel tell you and for how much?

Last edited:
I use my girlfriend's makeup mirror, works great! Of course my$2,500 glass panel tells me fuel flow, gph, mpg, fuel burned, fuel to destination etc. etc.
What's that doctor killer panel tell you and for how much?

Doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't kill me when I try to change tanks.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001208X09045

I've never seen a glass panel overcome fuel system design flaws....no matter how cheap the glass was.

I've never seen a glass panel overcome fuel system design flaws....no matter how cheap the glass was.

I think you're stretching the definition of a design flaw. Execution flaw, yes. Design flaw, no.

On the other hand, how many empennage failures occurred on V-tails before that nasty little design flaw was corrected?

Glass houses and all. ;-)

I think you're stretching the definition of a design flaw. Execution flaw, yes. Design flaw, no.

On the other hand, how many empennage failures occurred on V-tails before that nasty little design flaw was corrected?

Glass houses and all. ;-)

what part of "here take the shop mirror with you" isn't a flaw?

I wouldn't know I don't have a design flaw in my airplane to overcome with my cheap (seeing green aren't ya), glass. And for those interested in accuracy it wasn't a design flaw that killed that weird singer it was pilot error. The poorly constructed fuel system worked for quite a few hours before he flew it.:yesnod:

I wouldn't know I don't have a design flaw in my airplane to overcome with my cheap (seeing green aren't ya), glass. And for those interested in accuracy it wasn't a design flaw that killed that weird singer it was pilot error. The poorly constructed fuel system worked for quite a few hours before he flew it.:yesnod:

Which BTW, the law suit that was filed against Aircraft Spruce by the estate of John Denver was settled out of court leaving the number of experimental laws wins at zero. You have to win a judgement in a court of law to "win". Settling out of court requires the case be dismissed. It is just paying the attorney bill to the plaintiff rather than the defendants attorneys. ;)

To date, no one has been successful in suing the previous owner of an experimental aircraft for liability..... according to EAA. If you have a question about it call them, don't bash me. ;)

Which BTW, the law suit that was filed against Aircraft Spruce by the estate of John Denver was settled out of court leaving the number of experimental laws wins at zero. You have to win a judgement in a court of law to "win". Settling out of court requires the case be dismissed. It is just paying the attorney bill to the plaintiff rather than the defendants attorneys. ;)

To date, no one has been successful in suing the previous owner of an experimental aircraft for liability..... according to EAA. If you have a question about it call them, don't bash me. ;)
That one was settled for the limits of insurance. not exactly a win.....

Yeah, courts always get it right, just like doctors and the FAA...!
And successfully suing Aircraft Shaft for the ignorance of a pilot and builder can only be called a win by people that are part of the problem.....not the solution :yes:

Last edited:

Lets just hope there's another weird singer out there who believes your "no design flaw" theory when you go to sell it. Yeah, it worked quite well for a few hours. When dropping a mirror or an INOP autopilot causes a fuel concern.... design flaw. It seems you're the one interested in how cheaply put together your plane is, I'm not seeing green or any other color. Consumer grade electronics mounted in the panel and deemed "glass" don't impress me much, seems like a waste of 2500 bucks if you ask me, but its your money and as long as you're happy I'm happy for you.

I've never spent more than $100 for certified parts for my bonanza or citabria. I never needed any for the citabria and on the bonanza, I needed two flap bumpers and four fair leads. How often do you think you'll be buying certified airframes parts from the manufacturer? For the most part it's fuel, oil, spark plugs, engine overhauls, radios, tires, etc. Even if you did need an airframe part, used parts are a realistic option especially for something fairly common like a bonanza, archer, 172, etc.

What parts did you buy at home depot that would have cost thousands if they were certified, wing bolts ;)?

Back