Experimental Aircraft

Thoughts on Experimental Aircraft threads on PoA

• Yes, I own Exp and subscribe to model specific sites

Votes: 49 38.0%
  • Yes, I own Exp and do not follow mode specific sites

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • No, I don't own Exp but do enjoy seeing these topics

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • No, I don't own Exp, why the hell do you?

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I'm apparently in a polling mood tonight!

For those here that own Experimental aircraft... do you track type forums as well?

And for the certificated majority... do you find general EXP stuff remotely interesting?

While I'm a member of type forums for my aircraft, I almost never go there. Topics are usually of a building nature. POA is pretty much the only forum I use.

I have an RV-6 and I definitely participate in the online communities. Partially to offer advise (some good, some probably bad) to others in the community. Also, to learn more about opportunities (experimental avionics, ignitions, modifications) to make the ownership and maintenance experience better/faster/easier/less expensive.

There isn't a forum for the Merlin GT/EZ that I am aware of, but it's a derivative of the Avid Flyer so I follow AvidFoxFlyers.

Yes and yes and Geico thinks I should be dead by now. Thin skin doc's cyber bullies wish I was! Keep watching the news.....

Yes, and yes. I just got my certificate of airworthiness on my RV9A, first flight this weekend as long as the weather holds.

I like the exp stuff sometimes the vans proselytizing gets to be a bit much. Great planes but mention any competing aircraft and its like you insulted their mother.

Don't own one ,but find them very interesting,also like to check in on their web pages occasionally..

Yes to both. Spend a lot of time on VAF and when I was building also spent a fair amount of time on the Matronics site.

Can I vote if I only own an RV-10 empennage? I do spend a lot of time on the VAF forum as well..

I like the exp stuff sometimes the vans proselytizing gets to be a bit much. Great planes but mention any competing aircraft and its like you insulted their mother.

This is true. Even attempt a discussion of a design weakness on the RV elicits the same response. Seems there are those who pray at the altar RV.

I own lancair and RV; am on both sites.

Yes and yes and Geico thinks I should be dead by now. Thin skin doc's cyber bullies wish I was! Keep watching the news.....

Hadn't seen you post in a while. Good to see. Never mind the bullies.

I do not own an experimental, but enjoy seeing the topics. Also, belong to VAF and would like to build an RV-10 someday. Love other experimentals too, especially Long EZ, Slings, and Zenith.

Unlike Beech Talk or ?

When you get to type-specific forums you are definitely among believers - some more so than others. But that's to be expected.

High numbers sold and built tells its own story. As a company, Vans is about as soft sale or no sale as it gets. Their builder support is pretty low profile as well. The designs, the kits and the builders sell it and that results in a lot of heart felt proselytizing.

The other thing about the numbers is that RVs are everyman's plane. Given the large number of builders and flyers some tend towards the religious, others simply view it as their weekend mount, and everything in between. Other exps tend to have 'types' of builders and owners.

I'm a yes and yes - RV10 and often talk it up on Matronics and less frequently on VAF. I'm sure it tends to be different for owners, versus builders, versus builder/owner/operators. As one of the latter I've found the building never quite ends, maintenance is it's own hobby and there are many more aspects than just plane type. There are exp engine people, exp electronics, etc.

Personally I'm an IFR traveler who is finished building his lifetime ship and is focused on maintenance and improvements. I spend equal time on POA and reviewing the RV10 Matronics list. I post less there because the talk is so focused - if you have no material to add, there's nothing to say.

As a builder, one finds that some builders have sites qualify as their own communities - good stuff there as well.

Personally I'm an IFR traveler who is finished building his lifetime ship and is focused on maintenance and improvements. I spend equal time on POA and reviewing the RV10 Matronics list. I post less there because the talk is so focused - if you have no material to add, there's nothing to say.

As a builder, one finds that some builders have sites qualify as their own communities - good stuff there as well.

We're peas in a pod with our RV-10s, except I split my time equally between POA, AOPA, and VAF.

i think that i am the only person actively flying the type of experimental aircraft I own, so I do not visit any type specific forums...

We're peas in a pod with our RV-10s, except I split my time equally between POA, AOPA, and VAF.
Yes, I'd say we are.

Couldn't find any pics of your plane with paint...

i think that i am the only person actively flying the type of experimental aircraft I own, so I do not visit any type specific forums...
Looks like you are the forum.

So it seems like homebuilt sailplanes sort of have a natural affinity for vintage ships(?). A few years ago flying down to FL I saw a bunch of sailplanes at Santee Cooper Regional and decided to go down for a visit. After years of glider racing it was a blast seeing an entirely different kind of glider gathering. Being a power boob I was politely ignored until I offered to run a desperately waiting wing tip. Then I was politely welcomed before being politely ignored again. I was intrigued by the vintage glider stuff and thought that was where my building/restoration interests might next take me.

But flying the '10 around has convinced me that there's just too many places to try to go to.

I bought a flying RV-8 a couple years ago and surf VAF, but it's definitely slanted towards builders. Very nice community, though.

Yes, I'd say we are.

Couldn't find any pics of your plane with paint...

I'm on a waiting list for paint. My slot is later this Fall which is good as there's a fair amount of body work I still need to do in prep for paint. I deferred a lot of cosmetic work because I had reached the point after 8 years of on again off again building that I needed to get the plane in the air for my own sanity's sake. I could have my painter do the work but it I'll save some money and get it back from him sooner if I do it.

I recently bought a Varieze, I'm in a learning mode.

I'm on a waiting list for paint. My slot is later this Fall which is good as there's a fair amount of body work I still need to do in prep for paint. I deferred a lot of cosmetic work because I had reached the point after 8 years of on again off again building that I needed to get the plane in the air for my own sanity's sake. I could have my painter do the work but it I'll save some money and get it back from him sooner if I do it.
My co-pilot made it clear that there would be no flying until the beast was painted!

I was willing to pay for a paint job but had the space and time to try it myself. It was the one thing I swore I wouldn't do but no regrets.

Anyway, if asked, I'd suggest not getting too carried away with the prep work (i.e. consider not doing any more). That's where the work, and another steep learning curve, is - less so than with the actual paint. Whatever extra cost is charged, it is worth it.

I look forward to running in to you out there somewhere soon.

Bill

I have an RV-4, but didn't build it. I frequent VAF, but don't post much. Lots of good info there. I belong to Starduster and Biplane forums but rarely visit since I sold my Starduster Too.

Not Exp-AB, but I own/manage an email list for Globe /Temco Swifts. It is small group with only Swift specific posts allowed to keep traffic low, by design.

I spend much of my time on the Purple Board and J3-Cub.com.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Back