Evolution Best in Two Classes?

citizen5000

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
citizen5000
The Evolution (formerly Lancair) Turboprop/Lycoming arguably offer the best price/performance of anything in their respective classes (propjet/piston single). Both are based on the same robust Utility class airframe/carbon fiber kit. Both are pressurized and offer an optional BRS chute and G-Certified seats for impact absorb. And are the only kit Experimentals allowed to integrate a Garmin GFC700 autopilot. The primary panels are the G900X (G1000 equivalent).

Evolution Turboprop ($1.415m): Pratt & Whitney PT6A-135A, 300ktas, FL28k, 1400nm range

Evolution Lycoming ($995k): Lycoming YTEO-540 iE2 350hp, 242ktas, FL25, 1800nm range

So why aren't these guys leading their markets? WhY only 87 Evo Turoprops flying?

Last edited:
How many have 1 mil plus laying around to build a kit plane?
Please check on the availability and pricing of insurance on the Evo's and report back.

I thought I knew most engine codes, but what does the Y mean in YTEO-540? Yikes? Yowza?

If I can afford a million dollar plane, I can afford to buy one already built, and not by someone who built one in their garage.

Owner typically spends a week or two at a builder assist facility at the beginning of the build and conducts work under the guidance of a professional. From that point on majority of work is done by the pros at the facility. Owner involvement varies

Most owners for that class of airplane simply have zero interest in E-AB certified aircraft for a variety of reasons and performance advantages alone aren't enough to overcome that.

If you can afford the airplane kit,you probably don't have the time to build it.

At that price point and with the kind of environmental stresses that flight profile regime places on such an airframe, I want the manufacturing factory built, tested and quality controlled. I have zero business putting my pilot hands in the manufacturing of a de facto pressurized part 91 airliner. This is one instance in which I'm 100% behind the scofflawing of the 51%rule. Breaking the rules in this case is in the interest of public safety.

...So why aren't these guys leading their markets? WhY only 87 Evo Turoprops flying?

Three possible reasons come to mind.

- You are buying a box of parts; "Some assembly required". Your typical $million+ airplane buyer is too busy making money to engage in a lengthy, extraordinarily complex project like this. The people who hire others to build them are violating the intent of the amateur build rules.

- each one has to be placarded at the cabin entrance with the word "EXPERIMENTAL" in minimum 2 inch high letters. In addition visible to every passenger must be the following placard: “Passenger Warning-This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with the federal safety regulations for standard aircraft”. If indeed parachutes, silver plated crash hammers and other perceived safety features sell the wives on Cirrus, these mandatory warning labels are hardly going to inspire confidence in the Evolution as a family cruiser for her husband and kids.

- If you have been to their website you will see the current incarnation of Evolution has not been around very long. 87 aircraft flying is actually pretty impressive given all the challenges to complete one of these.

Back