Every airport I've landed at least once...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I was given the idea from POA member @GMascelli to make a map of every airport I've made at least one landing...it took me awhile, and it was quite surprising for me: Even though I've only made maybe 5 trips beyond 300nm, I was surprised at the total number of airports I've visited. This actually isn't a complete list because several are no longer in operation, and my log didn't have enough detail to figure out what now-closed airport I was once flying out of.
Its easy, if you want to make one yourself. Just Youtube search "custom google map"...lots of tutorials.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZgZQA_UA_zZjp49-N3kjuUB_4U8EVzW9&usp=sharing

How many hours does that map represent?

About 400 hours, over a 23 year span, with a 16 year break in the middle (7 years flying).

I haven't done it map style but I have kept a log of airports I've visited while flying with friends and those I've been at in commercial planes.

I used to have sectionals on a bulletin board outside my lab. I’d get a pin for every new airport landed. Sadly, the board and pins are gone.

Neat idea to show these maps.

SafeLog does this for me. It also draws a line between airports to show trip info. Kinda neat to see the clusters. The grouping around TN shows my student pilot work; My dad taught me to fly in TN. Then I moved to CA; most of my flying has been done there. Also shown is the trip I took from CA to TN and back.

I rented 172s in HI and AK for some sightseeing.

This map represents 94 airports in 11 states plus British Columbia. 972 flight hours in 19 different aircraft.

7f7af9a50a165630cb7986b0deb972fc.jpg

Lots of trips in CA...

d14df4acbd59a35b9f92d20846827a9f.jpg

Student pilot work in TN area

fd7fc8b9f9edf62c7581c90f80da5b27.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've made one of those too! Every airport I have landed/taken off at, light GA only. A little over 2,000 hours, and 12 years, all private or charity. Orange icons are airports I camped overnight at.

Sudan! That's... scary. What year was this?

Sudan was 2013. Geneina military airport, and Khartoum Intl.

Neat idea to show these maps.

SafeLog does this for me. It also draws a line between airports to show trip info. Kinda neat to see the clusters. The grouping around TN shows my student pilot work; My dad taught me to fly in TN. Then I moved to CA; most of my flying has been done there. Also shown is the trip I took from CA to TN and back.

I rented 172s in HI and AK for some sightseeing.

This map represents 94 airports in 11 states plus British Columbia. 972 flight hours in 19 different aircraft.

7f7af9a50a165630cb7986b0deb972fc.jpg

Lots of trips in CA...

d14df4acbd59a35b9f92d20846827a9f.jpg

Student pilot work in TN area

fd7fc8b9f9edf62c7581c90f80da5b27.jpg

Cool. What’s the pin in Alaska?

Mine on MyFlightBook is funny. Over the years there have been changes to airport designators. A lot was the result of the growth of AWOS, but there have also been old designators taken up by new airports. The result is, the 182 airports on the map shows airports I have never been to.

We won't mention where some typos have shown me :D

Wow! What are you flying?

Most of the US stuff has been 172s, 182s, and PA28s of varying flavours. Europe has been 172s, PA28s, Robins, and Diamonds. The trip to Egypt was in an MXT-7-160, Tunisia a DA40 TDi, and the rest of Africa was a C182 TDi!

Last edited:
I was in Sudan in 2009, though not with a plane and had a great time - not scary at all.

My map (plus Kona and Kalaupapa in Hawaii). 470 hours.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-07_at_6.13.18_AM.png
Do you have something against Oklahoma and Arkansas? ~~

Mine on MyFlightBook is funny. Over the years there have been changes to airport designators. A lot was the result of the growth of AWOS, but there have also been old designators taken up by new airports. The result is, the 182 airports on the map shows airports I have never been to.

We won't mention where some typos have shown me :D
Lol. I had one I had to go back and change. Otherwise, my leg from KAEG-I58 in a Cessna 172 was a for sure bladder buster.

(It used to be Santa Rosa, NM and now it is in Illinois somewhere)

You drove to Sudan?? Ok, that's even more impressive.

I flew to Khartoum from Dubai (commercially - not with a small plane) and spent two weeks wandering around and camping wild in the Sahara.

Thanks for the info that MyFlightBook can generate a map with visited airports rendered. Does anyone know if MyFlightBook or ForeFlight can also plot the flight paths (like others have shown above?) MyFlightBook does calculate total distance flown so I imagine it's already doing much of the computation for this.

Airports Landed 010718.png

Does anyone know if MyFlightBook or ForeFlight can also plot the flight paths (like others have shown above?) MyFlightBook does calculate total distance flown so I imagine it's already doing much of the computation for this.
MyFlightBook will show straight lines connecting the airports listed in your flights, even if you flew circuitous routes between those points for terrain, weather, etc.

Under the "Airports" tab select "Visited Airports", then click "View in Google Earth." That creates a KML file that will open in Google Earth like this:

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.38.56 PM.png

MyFlightBook will show straight lines connecting the airports listed in your flights, even if you flew circuitous routes between those points for terrain, weather, etc.

Under the "Airports" tab select "Visited Airports", then click "View in Google Earth." That creates a KML file that will open in Google Earth like this:

View attachment 59135
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

I was given the idea from POA member @GMascelli to make a map of every airport I've made at least one landing...it took me awhile, and it was quite surprising for me: Even though I've only made maybe 5 trips beyond 300nm, I was surprised at the total number of airports I've visited. This actually isn't a complete list because several are no longer in operation, and my log didn't have enough detail to figure out what now-closed airport I was once flying out of.
Its easy, if you want to make one yourself. Just Youtube search "custom google map"...lots of tutorials.

Great idea you guys....pretty cool to see graphically.
Looks like a couple of your places were a couple of my PPL solo x-country's. 2I3 and I93. Good times.

And @Katamarino ...damn son.
Impressive.

Great idea you guys....pretty cool to see graphically.
Looks like a couple of your places were a couple of my PPL solo x-country's. 2I3 and I93. Good times.

And @Katamarino ...damn son.
Impressive.
This past fall we flew down from Michigan to camp out at 2i3. My girlfriend forgot her pillow, so we flew up to i93 to go to the Walmart.

That's a good spot.
Walking distance to the water to fish or swim.
I took the GF there on a 20 mile canoe trip and camped on one of the islands. It was great.
Holler if you come back, we might fly over and chug some Woodford... I mean roast some marshmallows. Damn autocorrect.

Lol. I had one I had to go back and change. Otherwise, my leg from KAEG-I58 in a Cessna 172 was a for sure bladder buster.

(It used to be Santa Rosa, NM and now it is in Illinois somewhere)
The first leg of my first solo cross country as a student pilot shows up as from Massachusetts (7B2) to North Dakota (5B5, which used to be the ID for Bennington VT).

Now you're going to make me update my spreadsheet. Last I remember, it was ~102-104.

Baraboo and Reedsburg, WI? Wow. I bet not too many folks on this board have landed at those airports. I've never met anybody outside of family who has even heard of those places. Cool map!

Baraboo and Reedsburg, WI? Wow. I bet not too many folks on this board have landed at those airports. I've never met anybody outside of family who has even heard of those places. Cool map!
Ha, yeah. That was a long time ago, too. Maybe like 1995. I flew from Michigan to Rochester mn to buy an experimental. Baraboo and Reedsburg were fuel stops coming and going.
I don’t remember a single thing about Reedsburg, but I think I remember landing at Baraboo in the dark. I set up a tent under the wing, and in the morning when I woke up I was shocked at the amount of hills around the airport. People later told me that they weren’t hills, but that the airport was in a very deep valley. Either way, it was a miracle I didn’t fly into terra firma.

Cool. What’s the pin in Alaska?

Merrill Field, PAMR. My wife and I rented a 172 from Land & Sea Aviation, LLC for a sightseeing flight around the glaciers. Didn’t want to spend the time and money for the full area checkout required for solo privilages, so we took an instructor along with us. It had been 4 years since I’d last flown a 172 (Maui Aviators in Maui); I was happy that I still remembered how..

We did the same thing in Maui, but I did the 30 minute checkout so I could get solo privilages because we had friends with us and were planning several flights to get them all a flight. There it had been a year since I’d last flown a 172. After having been flying a plane which lands at 90mph, transitioning back to the 172 was interesting. With the strong headwinds typical of Kahului, my ground speed on final was probably on the order of 35-40 mph. I felt like I had time to get out of the plane, grab a soft drink and go to the restroom, and then come back to finish the landing. We were going Sloooow.

Of course, to a lot of folks, 90mph on final is Slooow. It’s all relative.

Last edited:
airports.png just shy of 200 airports in 1,000 hours. All of the stuff out west is single engine piston, mostly Nordo at that.

On purpose? o_O

Or were you lost? ;)

Yes, on purpose, Nope, not lost. It's one of the best trips I've ever done. Lots of old Nubian ruins, friendly people and great scenery. The view from one of our camp sites:

Sudan.jpg

Last edited:
Back