Ever landed without clearance?

U

Unregistered

Airport was slammed, on base someone flew way too close to me and tower was all over him. Tower told me runway xxL clearance on short final, also told the guy who flew too close to me they would call his base. On short final still haven't been cleared to land, tower still upset with with the guy behind me as he turned base too soon and he was told to go around.

Runway was clear, no vehicles entering, two holding for departure, pattern full in parallel and the guy behind me was going around (knew he was close). I made the decision to land, felt it was safest choice. Tower handed me to ground, ground cleared me to parking, no number to call or anything.

Looking back I of course should've called tower on short final (although wasn't really a break to do so). Obviously I won't ever forget that again just wanted to share....

There's a case almost exactly like this from a while back. The same set of circumstances, and the guy was given a 30 or 90 day rip, I can't recall which. The same excuse, on short final, no time to call, no clearance, runway clear, and the guy landed.

Something very much like that happened to me at PTK a few years ago. I was told to make straight in rwy 36, but was NOT given landing clearance. The frequency got very busy as I came down the final approach path. Still no landing clearance. I wasn't really sure whether to go around (would have meant maybe crossing the path of traffic landing on 27L) or just land. Finally I got a break and reminded the tower that I wasn't cleared to land. They cleared me, at about 50 AGL.

With my instructor during IR training I was given circling instructions and the phrase circle to land was used. Given the instruction going on in the cockpit I neglected to obtain a landing clearance and executed a touch and go. Tower wasn't amused and asked for my intentions. My instructor and I did not know what happened at first as we both thought we were cleared for the option as part of our circling instructions.

I actually filed a nasa report on that. The use of "circle to land" contributed to the confusion. It was certainly a good lesson and I'm glad that's as far as it went.

Different than the op story where you continued your landing for safety reasons. Even if they gave you a number to call, I think a short talk and review of what happened would have been all that was required.

No, I haven't.

There's always a break somewhere. "N123 request landing clearance" and you'll get it. Don't land without a clearance. I'd suggest filing a ASRS form, although it sounds like in your example you're unlikely to be cited with a violation.

I've come close a few times, but always managed to get a clearance at the bottom.

Never have. Always check with tower if not sure. The controller may see something you don't.

I was flying with a guy in a citation shooting an instrument approach in actual IMC. We were cleared for the approach, handed off to tower landed and THEN the tower said cleared to land...I guess they were doing him a favor.

Yes, I was on a long straight in, told #2 by tower when I was about 4 miles out. I had the #1 plane insight. Put the gear down, saw 3 green on the gear and then the panel went black. No radios, no intercom, nothing. I kept coming down final, watched the guy in front of me clear the runway and I kept checking the tower for a light, no red, no green, nothing.

I decided to land. I cleared at the normal taxi way and then could dig into my flight bag for my handheld. Called tower, told them i was on my handeld, complete electrical failre on final. They responded said, we wondered what happened, issued landing clearance but no reply.

All was well and cleared "to the ramp". So in reality, I guess I did have a clearance issued to land, just not received and acknowledged.

There's a case almost exactly like this from a while back. The same set of circumstances, and the guy was given a 30 or 90 day rip, I can't recall which. The same excuse, on short final, no time to call, no clearance, runway clear, and the guy landed.

Did it have the guy behind doing a go-around?

That might make a difference in the analysis...claim emergency authority to ensure safety of flight rather than doing a go-around with an aircraft at an unknown position directly above.

Not saying it would be successful, but it's an argument that could be made.

Did it have the guy behind doing a go-around?

That might make a difference in the analysis...claim emergency authority to ensure safety of flight rather than doing a go-around with an aircraft at an unknown position directly above.

Not saying it would be successful, but it's an argument that could be made.

Gosh, sorry but I don't recall all the details. There was someone ahead, and he was clear of the runway, the freq was super busy, and the guy was on short final and landed without the magic words.

I don't have a iron in the fire, but for me unless I hear the magic words, I'm going around and let tower deal with it. No one is required to declare a balked landing or go around. It's good business practice, and most will, but for me, if the tower asks what I'm doing, I say 'go around, no clearance to land'.

Fuel is cheap in the long run compared to the possible costs - go around. Log the time. Be happy.

Very interesting topic, I had to think about this a lot to figure out what made sense in my head. I can see why the OP didn't have a ready answer as to what he/she should have done.

All said, if it's busy and I've realized I'm about to land without a clearance I'd start stepping on people asking for a clearance. Landing traffic always has priority in my mind so I'd just keep hollering until I got through. If I couldn't get through at a point when I either had to make the decision to land or not I'd do whatever was safest. Traffic above me, I'd probably land and file an ASRS report. Otherwise, go around.

Though, as you can tell, for me I've hardly been around enough to even come close to running into this trouble.

Last edited:
Was going into Riverside [KRAL] 3 months ago and was cleared to land on an empty freq 6 miles out - yes - I reported that far out - using flight following.

As I got inside 3nm the place lit up like a chinese new year party with airplanes. Helos coming in, guys entering the pattern, people taking off - literally in the span of those 2 min the place lit up and got crazy busy from there not being a soul except me on freq.

I entered the downwind from the west, cleared to land 27, and had traffic called to me, someone was cleared to land in front of me when I was downwind, and to be honest during the all the confusion I started to wonder if I had been cleared to land - so I called to ask. No answer. The tower was now silent.

Turned final, runway is open but there is someone rolling for takeoff [yeah - I heard that clearance and called up right after] so I called again - over the fence - no response. So I went around. No skin off my back - again the airport is dead. Only this time the tower is not talking either.

Apparently I called right at the controller shift change. . . .

In the climb they came back on and reminded me of my clearance to land, er, before I was even in their airspace. I went ok, whatever, I decided to go around - I can take an early turn. . . . which they gave me and I was on the ground pretty quick after that.

Look - NEVER NEVER land without knowing that you have been cleared. . ..

I now use a CTL check box on my standard flight form . . .

I'd start stepping on people asking for a clearance.

I had to do that once when I was still a pretty new pilot. Although I was ready and willing to go around, after 3 or 4 tries on final I finally got a landing clearance just as I was about to flare. By then, I was so distraught over the ordeal that I nearly landed on the nosewheel, so maybe going around sooner would have been a better option.

Little worried here that it sounds like folks are committing mentally to land when clearance isn't given? Just go around. Waiting for a clearance in the flare? No thanks. No need to land, like low fuel? Don't.

No, but..

A few years ago, KMHV, Scaled Composites was having an open house and career day. And a couple of fly-ins. A LOT of people showed up. The tower was slammed. I got comms established and did what they said, got established on final, no clearance.

Now the controller was slammed more than I'd seen anybody else. He lost the big picture. Lost me, and several other airplanes, and just general control of the situation. It was very difficult to get a word in w/o stepping on somebody but eventually I did querying for landing clearance a couple miles out, and got no reply - he probably forgot who I was or where. I took it down to a low approach and, still without clearance, up and went around and left the pattern to go fly circles out over the desert until things calmed down. Never in all my years had I experienced such a spectacle. And I'm not one who has any difficulty on the radio.

Traffic above me, I'd probably land and file an ASRS report. Otherwise, go around.

Though, as you can tell, for me I've hardly been around enough to even come close to running into this trouble.

How do you know the ground controller isn't dealing with an emergency and an ARFF truck is about to launch across the runway you haven't been cleared to land on?

Always go around if you haven't heard the magical words. Even if there are aircraft above you, see-and-avoid still works-maneuver as necessary to avoid other planes. If you're in IFR, go missed- the controller has already cleared the airspace for you.

Unless you're on fire or deadsticking, don't land without a clearance.

flummoxed and behind the plane much?

Boy, that's out of left field. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that (that I saw).

---------------------

If tower doesn't clear you, and you have a long runway, just fly it in ground effect until they clue in. Once they finally clear you just chop the throttle. If they still don't clue in, then once you get to the end of the runway, ask them if they'd like for you to make right or left traffic!

:goofy:

Last edited:
If tower doesn't clear you, and you have a long runway, just fly it in ground effect until they clue in. Once they finally clear you just chop the throttle.

My thoughts exactly. 2' AGL halfway down the runway is still short final right?

If they won't answer you, and you're getting close you could always throw up a 7700 on the transponder real quick. That might get them to pull their heads out.

How do you know the ground controller isn't dealing with an emergency and an ARFF truck is about to launch across the runway you haven't been cleared to land on?

Always go around if you haven't heard the magical words. Even if there are aircraft above you, see-and-avoid still works-maneuver as necessary to avoid other planes. If you're in IFR, go missed- the controller has already cleared the airspace for you.

Unless you're on fire or deadsticking, don't land without a clearance.

Well, this really all gets down to the details of the hypothetical situation.

For my home airport which is 2 miles long and wide enough to land a cessna sideways I have a perfect view of almost the entire field on short final. If I can't see a vehicle or plane taxing into position then I deserve to hit it. Plus, my mention of a plane above me should have included a plane with which I have no visual contact.

In that situation I will land as long as I can assume a clearance was intended by the tower. Basically my point was that whatever option seems to pose the least risk I will exercise PIC authority and do. That's what that rule is there for.

Now, like you, I find it hard to believe that someone could be on a go-around above me and not be in-sight or WAYYY above me. In that case, and/or if I have no clear view of the landing environment, I will go-around with a slight turn to offset me from the center-line.

I now use a CTL check box on my standard flight form . . .

My trick is to not turn on the landing light until I receive a "cleared to land" from the tower (at uncontrolled fields it's on within 10 nm). Thus, when I line up on final, if that light isn't on I know to double check (at least mentally in case I forgot the light). Taxi light is on at night to provide see-and-avoid lighting for other traffic.

Never happened to me. But I did have to ask Tower for a landing clearance on short final. No big deal though, the radio was very busy

Little worried here that it sounds like folks are committing mentally to land when clearance isn't given? Just go around. Waiting for a clearance in the flare? No thanks. No need to land, like low fuel? Don't.
I agree, but you might have to set a limit well in advance and say, any lower (or closer) than that and I'm committed to going around. Sort of like what everyone does (or should do) when taking off from a field where runway length is a factor, except that you don't have the luxury of sitting on the ground motionless. I'm thinking of times when there's an intersecting or crossing runway in use, such as my near-incident at PTK. At <1/4 mile from the threshold and 50 AGL, I was probably past the point where I could safely go around without doing a low-altitude commercial steep turn (which is not in my repertoire) to avoid landing traffic on 27L, when Tower cleared me to land.

Given the exact situation you described, I'd very likely land. The only reason for my confidence in this is the guy behind you being told to go around and you were not. At that point I'm getting very concerned about my tail getting ground up in his prop, so I don't see a choice but to head for the clear air (and ground) right in front of me.

ASRS - yes. Emergency authority - yes.

I would do my best to jam in on the frequency with a "Confirm N### cleared to land". Under somewhat similar circumstances (very full pattern) I have been cleared to land as late as around 10' AGL.

Probably. Do enough touch and go's and at some point you'll likely end up landing without a clearance.

Bangor is a big place! Not as eerie as New Brunswick though! We landed there and found this massive place deserted. Quickly picked up our clearance and got the hell out of there! I swear I saw Rod Sterling standing off to the side :yikes:

Ever see the Stephen King movie Langoliers? That was filmed at Bangor and features the airport deserted. :p Bangor at least has the flights and the national guard base to justify it's size, ever since Brunswick Naval Air Station closed that place has been in danger of turning into a ghost airport (which from what you say sounds like it already happened).

Anyway, back on topic.

I was probably past the point where I could safely go around without doing a low-altitude commercial steep turn (which is not in my repertoire) to avoid landing traffic on 27L, when Tower cleared me to land.

That's a good point, if under LAHSO do you guys usually define a point where you get clearance or go around? Seems like a prudent point to define. I've honestly never run into a situation requiring LAHSO and probably wouldn't accept a clearance for one given my unfamiliarity with them.

My trick is to not turn on the landing light until I receive a "cleared to land" from the tower (at uncontrolled fields it's on within 10 nm). Thus, when I line up on final, if that light isn't on I know to double check (at least mentally in case I forgot the light). Taxi light is on at night to provide see-and-avoid lighting for other traffic.

Lookup "Operation lights on"

Your above is a good idea to give yourself a mnemonic, but a poor choice of the mnemonic to use. Turn in the lights in the terminal area. It assists with see and avoid.

If they won't answer you, and you're getting close you could always throw up a 7700 on the transponder real quick. That might get them to pull their heads out.

Whats the emergency? Or better said: what is YOUR emerg? I would not do this ever since it takes time for that to register on the scope for one - and second, it just adds to the confusion factor. You have solution - you simply don't land, go around, and remain visual and don't hit anyone.

Thats a great idea out on the prairie but here in SoCal I'm lit up like a Christmas tree from the time the throttle goes in til I lean after landing. You never know what someone will notice in the whole see and avoid challenge

Lookup "Operation lights on"

Your above is a good idea to give yourself a mnemonic, but a poor choice of the mnemonic to use. Turn in the lights in the terminal area. It assists with see and avoid.

Very true and that was what I was taught as well but my method has the added benefit of I would get really nervous were I to turn onto base and don't have my landing light on. In addition I do use the taxi light on at night in the terminal area and if I don't leave the pattern I will just keep the landing light on all the time. And, as I mentioned, this is only for towered airports. Untowered fields I would always have my landing light on within 10 nm (or more).

But, yes, obviously situational safety prevails and if I feel I need my landing light on for see and avoid with other traffic it will be on. But because I've tried to develop the habit of checking my landing light to see if I was cleared to land then even if it's on for traffic I still run through a mental check of "did I get a clearance to land" so my established mnemonic doesn't necessarily need to be used 100% of the time.

Though, you may be right that it may not be the best mnemonic as I picked it up early in my IFR training where obviously you are generally cleared to land a decent ways out and possibly in the soup. I may switch my mnemonic to my taxi light but I like the fact that if I start descending into a dark runway then I can immediately go "why isn't my landing light on-**** no clearance to land yet".

No, I haven't.

There's always a break somewhere. "N123 request landing clearance" and you'll get it. Don't land without a clearance. I'd suggest filing a ASRS form, although it sounds like in your example you're unlikely to be cited with a violation.
If the frequency is really jammed, you could shorten that up to "N123 short final" or "N123 clearance". And FWIW, I don't think filing an ASRS form will provide any protection against sanctions because the OP's actions were deliberate.

If the frequency is really jammed, you could shorten that up to "N123 short final" or "N123 clearance". And FWIW, I don't think filing an ASRS form will provide any protection against sanctions because the OP's actions were deliberate.

"...and I realized after I had landed that I never did get that clearance..."

Does he need ASRS protection?

14 CFR 91.3(b) would seem to be a valid defense as there was known to be an aircraft close behind in an unknown position, going around. I would expect Tower (or FSDO) to insist on a report per 14 CFR 91.3(c), though.

The ASRS csn serve a useful purpose regardless, as there was a significant safety concern.

Does he need ASRS protection?

14 CFR 91.3(b) would seem to be a valid defense as there was known to be an aircraft close behind in an unknown position, going around. I would expect Tower (or FSDO) to insist on a report per 14 CFR 91.3(c), though.

The ASRS csn serve a useful purpose regardless, as there was a significant safety concern.

Minor point, but the FSDO will have no knowledge of such an event unless the tower does a report in ATQA. Then it gets disseminated to the FSDO for investigation.

The tower cannot insist on report from the pilot.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back