Ever landed without clearance?

When I was an FO turbo trash at a regional I was extended at KATL during a horrible day of TRWs and paired with a different captain for the last trip. We came back to KATL really, really late after everything had blown through- probably about 1 am. After doing approach after approach to minimums it was clear and visbility unlimited and we were the only aircraft talking to approach. About 20 miles out we saw the airport and called it. About 10 miles out approach cleared us for the visual and told us to contact tower one mile final for landing clearance. The captain and I were zoned out. Upon landing approach told us to hold short of the inboard and contact ground. DOH!!!! I sheepishly contacted ground (who was also running tower at that time of the morning), and his first words were "_______ 4537, confirm you saw the steady green light for landing clearance." "Ummm... Yes sir. Of course we saw the green light." I saw the green light. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Probably. Do enough touch and go's and at some point you'll likely end up landing without a clearance.

Yep. While instructing, I've caught myself a few times having to ask if we were cleared to land because I missed the student's readback.

Bangor is a big place! Not as eerie as New Brunswick though! We landed there and found this massive place deserted. Quickly picked up our clearance and got the hell out of there! I swear I saw Rod Sterling standing off to the side :yikes:

Brings to mind the Stephen King movie, The Langoliers

But was supposed to have taken place at BGR

I sheepishly contacted ground (who was also running tower at that time of the morning), and his first words were "_______ 4537, confirm you saw the steady green light for landing clearance."

Always nice when you get an actual human in the cab: it's 1AM, its deserted, I've heard this guy on the freq since oh-my-god-its-early... OK, please confirm for the tapes that I flashed the light.

LOL. I've had similar experiences when I flew freight in the wee hours of the morning. Cleared for the approach etc, clear the runway and go to put in the ground frequency and realized I was still on approach. oops. I called on the phone to apologize, controller said no problem, he was watching me, and no one else was in his airspace.

When I was an FO turbo trash at a regional I was extended at KATL during a horrible day of TRWs and paired with a different captain for the last trip. We came back to KATL really, really late after everything had blown through- probably about 1 am. After doing approach after approach to minimums it was clear and visbility unlimited and we were the only aircraft talking to approach. About 20 miles out we saw the airport and called it. About 10 miles out approach cleared us for the visual and told us to contact tower one mile final for landing clearance. The captain and I were zoned out. Upon landing approach told us to hold short of the inboard and contact ground. DOH!!!! I sheepishly contacted ground (who was also running tower at that time of the morning), and his first words were "_______ 4537, confirm you saw the steady green light for landing clearance." "Ummm... Yes sir. Of course we saw the green light." I saw the green light. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've received a few landing clearances while in the flare in major airports.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back