Etiquette on sharing flight expenses

MacFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
Hello all! As a new PPL, I've been thinking about what is the correct etiquette on sharing expenses for a flight.
Do you wait for the invitee to offer it? Do you ask for it? Do you mention "it'd be nice if you could pitch in"?

So far, I've been taking my closest friends and not asking for anything, but like everyone here knows, this is not a cheap hobby, so any sharing of expenses would be nice, but I don't want to come across like mercenary... :)

I never ask for anything if someone offers I refuse if they insist I have on occasion taken it. That is for local sightseeing joy of flying flights. Now if your using the plane to go somewhere I would just say it is going to cost us X amount for us to go by plane.

I don't ask, but I will also not decline a pro rata share. What I have always declined was the, "Hey, can you fly me and my wife to XXX and I'll pay you" offer. Nope, nope, nuh-un, no comprende senior. It's happened a couple times. I'm not getting wrapped up in anything that looks like holding out. Even between friends, that shizzle don't fly. Literally.

For me, I’m usually flying even if they don’t go with me, so it’s just a bonus if they want to kick in some.

Joy ride or travel for purpose? Joy ride, I never ask, appreciate offers, but never accept. Travel for a purpose? I have no problem asking for a little something to defray, usually along the lines of "hey, this is gonna be $600 in fuel, howza."..and before I finish, wallets come out. But it's usually offered anyway. Somebody else's plane? I always offer, and pick up the lunch tab.

I've had offers, but never accepted. I'll let somebody buy lunch on a lunch run, however.

Never asked, but never bought lunch at the field either.

I don't ask, either....

th

I love the "let's go to xyz in an airplane" conversations. The number of passengers, bags, destination, no allowance for weather or diversions allowed. Usually the first time in a small aircraft. All 6 of us can hop into your Cessna, fly 2500 miles in one afternoon, be on the ground at exactly 3:45 pm and Uber over to my once in a lifetime event right? So how much is that, like $100 each?

*tells person actual price, W&B, etc.*

WTF?? Are you kidding me? Why do you fly then??

I would be like.... WTF... I thought pilots were smart?

I love the "let's go to xyz in an airplane" conversations. The number of passengers, bags, destination, no allowance for weather or diversions allowed. Usually the first time in a small aircraft. All 6 of us can hop into your Cessna, fly 2500 miles in one afternoon, be on the ground at exactly 3:45 pm and Uber over to my once in a lifetime event right? So how much is that, like $100 each?

My answer: to get away from people like you.

I've NEVER asked for or accepted payment for flight costs. Never will.

I have paid a pre-arranged share of the cost twice. Once for Oshkosh, once for Gastons.

When I fly safety pilot or ride with someone to a fly out I always buy their meal. Hell, if someone comes to the DFW area I buy their meal and give them a lift back to their hotel.

I never ever ask for a dime. I'm going flying wether someone comes with me or not. If you come with me all I ask is that you relax and have fun. Even the one time I flew my plane to Oshkosh I had a buddy go with me. I didn't ask nor did I expect a dime from him. Just his company was enough as again I was going anyway.

I've NEVER asked for or accepted payment for flight costs. Never will.

I have paid a pre-arranged share of the cost twice. Once for Oshkosh, once for Gastons.

When I fly safety pilot or ride with someone to a fly out I always buy their meal. Hell, if someone comes to the DFW area I buy their meal and give them a lift back to their hotel.
Im on a flight to kdal right now, can you pick me up at 7:30?

I usually expect the guest to pick up the lunch tab. Sometimes I’ll get a $20 or so and I appreciate it but never ask.

I have a deal with my friend with a boat, I don’t expect him to chip in for plane rides, and he doesn’t expect me to pay for boat rides. It works for us.

Don't ask for anything. Accept when offered.

Of course, thats easy to say if you are financially secure . If you are a college kid , nothing wrong with asking for a pro-rata share.

Key West is something like a 5 hour drive, but like a hair over an hour to fly. And I do go down for lunch several times a year. If my wife and I are going and we invite another couple I’m happy if they buy lunch. If it’s me and some buddies, I tell them it cost me about $150 in gas and fees, so they can chip in $35 and we call it good.

So far no one has complained. But don’t ask me to fly anyone else down for that price.

If I thought you were serious I'd consider it. How many PoA members are going to your meet up?
I am flying in, but only there for a day and they have me booked for dinner tonight and work all day tomorrow, so no time to meet anyone. If I take the job they are offering I will be coming more often in the future.

I am flying in, but only there for a day and they have me booked for dinner tonight and work all day tomorrow, so no time to meet anyone. If I take the job they are offering I will be coming more often in the future.

In which case I will help schedule a meet-up and gladly buy your celebratory meal.

Didn’t know Cheetah’s Male review was hiring..... grab me an app if ya can please.

I don't "charge" anyone. unless you're a big fatty, then you have to pay for an extra seat.

Thanks all for the replies. I guess my thoughts are in line with what most people mentioned: I don't ask, but will gladly accept they buy me lunch. I haven't been to long XC missions yet, so I'll let you know how it works.
My next mission like that will be the F1 Race, Dallas to Austin

I never split costs when taking my airplane regardless of who is in the airplane. If my lunch is paid for as a courtesy I accept. When I fly right seat I offer to split fuel and if not accepted usually pick up the meal tab. However I am in a different point in my life with disposable income than a college student and married person in their mid-life supporting a family.

I am not versed on the rules regarding this topic but I "thought" as a non-commercial pilot you can only split costs if you were going there anyway. If someone asks you to fly someplace for their benefit you can't per regs accept any money for the raw costs of the flight; fuel, rental, landing fee, etc. and certainly no compensation for your time as a pilot. Anyone know if this is correct?

I guess if you charge you could also have em sign a nondisclosure contract.o_O

....but, I never did that either.

If I invite someone, I don't accept anything, though lunch is nice. If they ask me to take them up when I wasn't already planning to go, then it's a different story and hope they can pitch in.

I am not versed on the rules regarding this topic but I "thought" as a non-commercial pilot you can only split costs if you were going there anyway. If someone asks you to fly someplace for their benefit you can't per regs accept any money for the raw costs of the flight; fuel, rental, landing fee, etc. and certainly no compensation for your time as a pilot. Anyone know if this is correct?

II believe you are correct.

I have never charged anyone but sometimes people will chip in a bit - most people don't have a concept of the real costs.

Here’s my deal regarding non-flying friends. It’s my hobby, if anyone wants to come along the more the merrier. But it’s my hobby so I’m paying. I would never ask a dime from my friends to share my hobby with them and if they offered I would refuse. If they want to buy lunch that’s fine but I’m not asking and I won’t leave my wallet behind. And I’m doing this on a teacher’s salary so you can understand I’m not exactly rolling in coin.

Same thing for a long XC. If I’m already flying and a non-flying friend wants to come I’ll appreciate the company. Now, if the non-flying friend asks to fly them somewhere the answer is a hard no, as mentioned above.

Pilot friends? Different story. Share stick time and split the costs.

If we're travelling somewhere with friends on a trip, it's not unusual for them to chip in for part of the fuel costs. For just screwing around flights, I don't ask and try not to accept. Of course, when I was younger (and poorer) there was a lot more sharing of expenses. As I've gotten older, and as my income has increased a little, I'm much less interested in collecting a few bucks from friends.

Back