Equipment for private pilot

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Should a Private Pilot student invest in a handheld radio, and keep the same radio with them all the way through their commercial certification? Along the way they could be taught to use it, either through simulated situations or actual need.
Also, when looking at headsets and not wanting to rent, for comfort, would anyone here have first the experience with rugged air or avcomm? Or one similar priced under $300.00 that would be a logical comfortable choice for a one headset for multiple certs and ratings? I do currently own a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15 noise canceling headphones and have found one can add a Uflymike.. would that be comparable to the Bose A 20 or 30 aviation headsets or better than cheaper non noise canceling?
https://uflymike.com/

You will be with an instructor most of your training and a handheld is not necessary. It’s a nice to have backup when you solo and later. One reason you might get earlier it is to listen to radio communications to “get the hang of it”, but you could use LiveATC on your phone instead.

Headset- David Clarks can be resold easily if you don’t continue, or given to a passenger when/if you upgrade. Good quality and customer service. Fine for short 1.5 hr training. I started with a cheaper headset ($150) and it served me fine for primary training.

Should a Private Pilot student invest in a handheld radio, and keep the same radio with them all the way through their commercial certification? Along the way they could be taught to use it, either through simulated situations or actual need.
Also, when looking at headsets and not wanting to rent, for comfort, would anyone here have first the experience with rugged air or avcomm? Or one similar priced under $300.00 that would be a logical comfortable choice for a one headset for multiple certs and ratings? I do currently own a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15 noise canceling headphones and have found one can add a Uflymike.. would that be comparable to the Bose A 20 or 30 aviation headsets or better than cheaper non noise canceling?
https://uflymike.com/

I can't think of many reasons why you would need one. Most airplanes have two radios, plus there is a high chance your cell phone might work as well. Even if all of them don't work, there are clear protocols for lost comm under VFR and IFR. It is much better to follow those protocols than to be fiddling with an unfamiliar handheld during flight.

Reactions: Tai
It's not really a good "investment" as you'll probably never use it for what you think you will, and in most situations there are other good alternatives to solve problems. I've had one for many, many years and been through a lot of batteries and several emergencies but the handheld wasn't ever "needed". Mine was mostly used for eavesdropping on ATC comms.

It's not really a good "investment" as you'll probably never use it for what you think you will, and in most situations there are other good alternatives to solve problems. I've had one for many, many years and been through a lot of batteries and several emergencies but the handheld wasn't ever "needed". Mine was mostly used for eavesdropping on ATC comms.
Better to have it and never need it then the other way around. Murphy's Law. My $.02

I always fly with a handheld. It’s the one I bought as a student 15 years ago.
Use it all the time to get fuel or listen to the ATIS w/o turning on the plane.
Twice I’ve used it when the electric have died, once to get back in a class D airport.
If you’re scraping together money for lessons it’s not absolutely needed. I’d say a PLB is a higher priority.

I agree with a $300 headset budget I would recommend stretching a bit for David Clark 13.4 for about $350. Or try to find a used one.
some of the $150 heads are ok the difference is they will probably only last about 2 years before the cables begin to break down (internal breaks),
The David Clark will likely last you 10-15 years or longer.

The problem with really cheap head usually the Sub $150 category but even a few sub $200 ones is the microphone, they will tend to pick up all the background noise make it hard to mute(squealch) out the back ground noise especially in noiser airplanes, so you have to listen to all the background noise most of the time, then when you talk everyone else hears the background noise making you hard to understand. I used to recommend the Flightcom 4DLX $130 to students on a tight budget they do have a good microphone, but only expect them last 2 -3 years.

Brian

I've been using one of these headsets for several years and it works just fine:
https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/c...stereomono-anr-headset?variant=39418557431985

(alternate https://www.pacificcoastavionics.com/products/pca-anr?variant=41065302163606 )

During training I used of these:
https://www.pilotmall.com/products/...anqFBZ9XsrfIyqGv9DRpAh3ax3rrB_cxoCnPYQAvD_BwE

It also worked well and I still use it for passengers. One nice thing about this cheapie is that it has a lifetime warranty, and ASA has been selling them for quite a while now so they should continue to be around to honor the warranty.

One suggestion if you go with one of these less-expensive headsets is to buy cloth earcovers ( https://www.amazon.com/Cloth-Ear-Covers-Headsets-Featuring/dp/B0076NKKHC ). The earphone cups can become uncomfortable, but cloth covers do a great job of improving that.

If funds are tight, don't spend money on a handheld radio right now. They're good to have, but not worth the cost of a couple of flying lessons. Spend wisely.

I learned to fly at a delta airport where you had to use the radio just to taxi.
I bought a handheld so I could listen to Atc in my truck after training. It helped me a lot to learn the radio. It also helped me with situation awareness at the airport with 3 runways sitting in my truck watching them land.
Sure I carry it in my flight bag but have never needed it in the air.
I have used it at turf airports talking to my buddy when he is flying and I am walking around giving him a heads up where to park etc.
It’s worth having. Oh yea I used it at Oshkosh and Sun u fun in our RV.

If money is tight, don't worry too much about a high-end headset. After you get your license, the first thing you're going to buy is another headset so you can fly with a passenger. I bought a handheld once I started my instrument training. I use it every time I fly to listen to ATIS while I'm preflighting the plane.

If you get lucky and you're okay with it, you may be able to find a pilot willing to pass along some of his old headsets to you for a discounted price. I have a pair of very nice, high quality Sennheiser headsets that one of the posters here generously sold me for under $200 when I was starting training. They are technically "old tech" and don't have bluetooth or any new gadgetry, but they are sturdy and have great ANR and passive noise cancellation. I doubt you will find a deal like that, but the used market can be something good to consider if needing to buy headsets on a budget - as long as you pick your sellers wisely.

As far as the radio, I wouldn't get a handheld unless you're planning to fly out of a towered airport or in complicated airspace. I had an amateur radio handheld that I'd had for years that could monitor the aviation bands and I used to use it to listen to the CTAF and the ASOS while preflighting. That was nice, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity, especially on a tight budget.

I would get the Bose A20/A30, they are nice headsets and really if you are into this, you’re going to use them a lot!

For the handheld, I have one and I use it to pull up the ATIS or to listen at air shows. It’s not a necessary item but a nice to have.

A quality headset on the other hand is a necessary item - mine is Bluetooth and links to foreflight, I get airspace, entering runway and length remaining, traffic, terrain and altitude alerts in my ear, well worth it just for that alone.

You will be with an instructor most of your training and a handheld is not necessary. It’s a nice to have backup when you solo and later. One reason you might get earlier it is to listen to radio communications to “get the hang of it”, but you could use LiveATC on your phone instead.

Headset- David Clarks can be resold easily if you don’t continue, or given to a passenger when/if you upgrade. Good quality and customer service. Fine for short 1.5 hr training. I started with a cheaper headset ($150) and it served me fine for primary training.
Good advice, in my opinion.

In 12 years of flying, I needed my handheld only once while in the air. But it was in my flight bag in the back of the plane where I couldn’t reach it. Can’t imagine what I was thinking when I left it there — except perhaps that I had never before needed it. Since that day, I’ve kept it in the glove box, within easy reach. And (dare I say it?) I haven’t needed it since. But I wouldn’t want to fly without it.

If renting headsets is an option, and they have various models to try, I’d rent at first. Then buy a pair similar to those you’ve tried & liked. I’ve been a fan of David Clark for decades, but that might be a generational/nostalgia thing. I wore then in Vietnam. I’m certain some of the more reasonably priced newcomers are giving the top end Bose & DC a run for the money.

Be future oriented in buying headsets. I thought BlueTooth was a foppish frill when I bought my David Clark DC One-X, but since I use ForeFlight on my iPad, there are a lot of useful Alerts you can turn on (as well as turn off annoying alerts.) But for starting out, a basic pair you can pass on to your passengers after you get your license is a solid compromise.

Like others have said, the app LiveATC is a good way to hear a lot of radio to get a sense of the flow & lingo. But you won’t hear comms around untowered airports with the app. I keep a Sporty’s PJ 2 (~$200) in the car for when I can get away and want to sit near a training strip & critique landings. I put it in the plane while I’m preflighting to listen to ATIS & hear what’s going on in the pattern while working in the hanger. I only have a single panel mounted radio, so it is a great back-up (that I’ve never needed).

Better to have it and never need it then the other way around. Murphy's Law. My $.02

I agree. Chances are you won't need it but it is a little bit of $ well spent. I have one in my bag(reachable) with the proper cords so I can plug in my headset to it and use it just like any radio.

My .02c...airplanes fly just fine with no radio at all. I'd use your money for training or fuel, and learn what to do if both the installed radios quit.

Do not buy ANY headset without ANR. Radio comprehension is vastly better with ANR than without. ANR also protects your hearing more than a non-ANR.

Do not buy ANY headset without ANR. Radio comprehension is vastly better with ANR than without. ANR also protects your hearing more than a non-ANR.

Passive headsets provide about 22-24 dB of noise reduction which is quite safe. ANR improves clarity and reduces fatigue. ANR headsets also need less clamping force, making them more comfortable. I certainly prefer my ANR headset, but I wasn’t putting my hearing at risk when I used my passive set.

Gotta tell a story. It was night I had just taken off from a towered airport. I was taking a fellow pilot to another airport to pick up his plane. All electrical went dark and I smelled
smoke.
I told my pal to fly the plane while fumbled in back for my handheld.I was able to call the tower, declare and return and land.
It turned out to be a ground that took out the main breaker.

Gotta tell a story. It was night I had just taken off from a towered airport. I was taking a fellow pilot to another airport to pick up his plane. All electrical went dark and I smelled
smoke.
I told my pal to fly the plane while fumbled in back for my handheld.I was able to call the tower, declare and return and land.

Good example, because if you had been solo you would never have gotten to the handheld.

I had almost the same experience years ago departing solo from Portland, Maine, at night heading into IMC. I called the tower, told them the problem and advised that I would lose radio contact. I was cleared to land and never even reached for the handheld. Same thing happened a few months ago, day VFR near Wilkes-Barre. I got a clearance to land and taxi instructions to the FBO, the handheld still in my flight bag. I've had two other similar experiences, one on my first cross country flight as a student when I was told I was number 5 to land before I lost comm. I just flew a few circles then entered the pattern as if it was a non-towered field.

It's not that the radio isn't helpful in some occasions, but in a real emergency you have a lot of leeway to do whatever you can to get on the ground safely and you don't really need to talk to anyone. For the OP earlier in his training I believe there are better ways to spend the flying money.

The rugged air headsets are surprisingly good for what they are. I have one for my kid and a spare for passengers but I use a Bose A20 and have a light speed Zulu 3 for my wife. If you know flying is something you’ll be doing for a long time just buy the headset you know you want now. Buy once cry once, but if you are short on cash there’s nothing wrong with the cheap ones.

I have a portable radio. I’ve never used it for anything besides dicking around at a fly-ins. Unless you’re flying in busy airspace or to towered fields a lot.. or doing a lot of IFR you don’t really need it.

smoke.

Imagine a scenario where you lose electrical and need to turn on the field lights at an uncontrolled airport. I remember reading about a fatal accident at an uncontrolled field along the Gulf where the pilot was losing electrical power and could not turn on the lights via CTAF. Maybe a nearby controlled field is an option, but you’d be 7600/7700 without the ability to squawk it, or shorter on fuel than you should have been to make it. My closest 24 hour towered field is Class Charlie KIND about 30 minutes south - comin’ in hot, NORDO, sorry (if I was able to think clearly in that situation).

Last edited:
If you're a student planning on going commercial, I'd get a noise cancelling headset ASAP. More comfortable and easier on your ears.

I bought a handheld radio w/ adapter during my training, but I was training in aircraft that didn't have installed radios, so I liked having the HT as a backup. I don't know that I'd list it as a highly important item unless you're flying a lot at night. I wouldn't carry one without the headset adapter, unless your aircraft are way quieter than what I fly. To me, other than being able to bring up the airport lights, the radio is nearly useless without a headset while in the air.

One other thing I carry a spare of is prescription glasses.

Lots of good (some a bit over the top) comments on here. I didn't bother with a handheld until well into IR training and I've never used it. Which is to say I've never lost comms in any planes. I think this one depend on your budget: are you scaping to pay for training time? Don't buy a handheld. Have you got money to burn? Go ahead.

As for headsets, I used AVCOM for all of my training and for flying for several years. They are decent cheap passive headsets. They last just fine.

Then I bought two pairs of Telex 1st gen ANR off of eBay for ~$65 for both. You can buy a LOT of 9V batteries for the difference. Are they as good as current ANR, no. But they're still pretty good. And solidly built.

Last year my wife bought me a pair of Bose A20s. The Bose are definitely nice, but are they $1000 worth of nice? Only you and your budget can decide that.

I will say that fit and comfort, as well as noise reduction are a personal fit issue. I've got lots of friends who swear by David Clark headsets. They build a very solid passive (I've never tried the DC-X) headset. I can't wear them for more than 1/2 hour without a headache. Try as many different ones as you're interested in before you drop a lot of cash on a set.

I have been using David Clark non-NC headsets since before headsets become popular. And you had to carry your own PTT because planes did not have them. And I even carried a portable intercom, since planes did not have them.

I think I still have my original DC that I got in about 1979. I upgraded the mic, but other than that, it is going strong.

Look on fleaday and flying forums. I picked a couple recently for $75 each. I bought a plane, so I needed some extras for passengers.

I have a portable radio, but I keep forgetting to take it out of the charger and with me. I have yet to need it. It would be OK to use to listen to ATIS or get my clearance before starting the engine, both I can turn on the radio to do so, or just wait until I crank.

I use D.C.s that I bought used in 2010.

I bought two DC headsets in the 1980s. One set I've used five to seven days a week for the past 13 years.

My Icom handheld is about the same age, and I have needed it two times in the air. Mostly I use it for weather on the ground. I have had the nicad battery rebuilt two times over the years.

I have had the nicad battery rebuilt two times over the years.

I had that on a previous unit but on my current one I went with the AA batteries and keep the battery pack out of the unit unless I'm planning to use it. I use it so seldom that it's safer not to risk battery leakage into the unit.

On the previous unit I usually failed to fully charge it in time to take it with me . . .

I had that on a previous unit but on my current one I went with the AA batteries and keep the battery pack out of the unit unless I'm planning to use it. I use it so seldom that it's safer not to risk battery leakage into the unit.

On the previous unit I usually failed to fully charge it in time to take it with me . . .

This is exactly why I use the non-rechargeable lithium batteries in mine. They won’t leak and they stay charged for a decade or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer®-U...locphy=9012162&hvtargid=pla-350645838145&th=1

To me, more important is a good flashlight and a headband lamp (for pre-flighting).

Also a kneeboard. Very simple works well. I loved my USAF one that was a piece of plastic, a strap and slide clip.

Imagine a scenario where you lose electrical and need to turn on the field lights at an uncontrolled airport. I remember reading about a fatal accident at an uncontrolled field along the Gulf where the pilot was losing electrical power and could not turn on the lights via CTAF. Maybe a nearby controlled field is an option, but you’d be 7600/7700 without the ability to squawk it, or shorter on fuel than you should have been to make it. My closest 24 hour towered field is Class Charlie KIND about 30 minutes south - comin’ in hot, NORDO, sorry (if I was able to think clearly in that situation).

If you have an emergency that also causes a complete loss of power at a controlled airfield, visually sequence into the pattern, land, and call the tower to apologize and explain. Emergency authority gives you permission to do all of that free and clear and nobody is going to say anything about "I had no power and smelled smoke" overriding traffic control.

Landing at an unlit field - did it once during private training. I think that was to convince me that, like a 0-0 takeoff, I didn't want to do it. It's a last ditch thing and if fuel premits, I might fly around to see if someone else shows up.

on my current one I went with the AA batteries and keep the battery pack out of the unit unless I'm planning to use it
I once had an alternate base for the radio that held AA batteries, so if the rechargeable wasn't fully charged I could swap. Somehow it got lost in one of my moves. (I also lost a Hood Lamb, which was the best device I ever had for simulated instrument flying.)

I've been having some periodic headsets/Jack issues during flight training. Periodically I won't be able to hear myself (usually adjusting the squelch solves this), the instructor, or ATC. My instructor has had maintenance check the plane, and they'll say no problems found or there will be no other similar complaints from others and basically determine it's "user error" lol.

Now, as a former IT Guy, I know full well when a problem isn't easily replicable it usually points to user error, but as I explained today, there is only so much I can do wrong here. I jiggle the port, it goes in/out, played with the squelch and nothing seemed to work. I could NOT hear my instructor during our short flight, but when she plugged her headset in on the ground it worked better, Grrr.

It greatly impacted my flying today and I basically burned .7hr worth of time/money dealing with this issue. My instructor initially advised against purchasing my own noise-cancelling headset because I need to hear what's going on with the aircraft, but honestly I don't like having to worry about this AT ALL.

I don't mind spending the money (the time wasted dealing with is issue today could've gone towards the purchase price) and wondering if I should proceed with some of the recommendations listed above as well?

The first thing I would do is switch headsets with the instructor and see if the problem follows her or stays with you.

Back