EPIC 19 -- Air Trip #5

FlyFast93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyfast93
Hello!
My 13yo son and I are getting ready for another big adventure. Here is our plan -- welcome to any suggestions!
Plane: 1965 PA-24-260
Gameplan: Mostly relaxed flying LOP ~ 9-11k VFR with IFR capable if needed
Just bought Stratux ADS-B to help with weather (thunderstorms) on Ipad, Iphone Backup (Foreflight). Cell coverage gets spotty and thunderstorms can really put a wrinkle in our plans...
O2 onboard, but son hates canulas… so, mostly bob-and-weave passes to stay “lower.” We have gone West twice before and the plane handles the Rockies very well.

Around 2700nm planned
Flying Days:

Day 1. 5v4 - KTVL [afternoon explore, overnight camp on airfield]
Fuel Stop KDTA (has courtesy car)
KTVL - super nice guy (Connor), spoke to airport manager and said we could camp on airfield (restrooms close at 2200, water from hose). This is great since South Lake Tahoe is packed in summer…

Day 2. KTVL -- KORS [afternoon + 2 days, camp on airfield]
Hop over Sierra Nevadas and cruise foothills north and tour the volcanos and mountain chains north -- Mt Shasta -- Mt Scott -- Three Sisters -- Mt Hood -- Mt Adams -- into San Juans by way of Lake Washington
Fuel Stop KBDN (Bend, OR) -- maybe a surfing stop to let my son try his surf skills on the river
KORS - spend 3 days on Orcas Island with some possible local flying/exploring. Hike, Kayak, Whale Watch…
KORS sounds great! Airport Manager is an old friend and setup sounds great -- place to tent, fire pit, shower, courtesy car

Day 3. KORS -- 8U4 [afternoon, overnight backcountry camp]
Jog SE a bit then East to stay over lower terrain / near roads/airports. Fly over Wenatchee -- Spokane Valley -- Mullan Pass -- Flathead Lake
I have not been able to talk to anyone about the field condition, but will keep trying. That is a bit of concern. Plan is to camp at 8U4, but walk 1 mile to nearby wilderness lodge (www.wildmontanna.com) to check it out. Sounds like an amazing lodge with great fishing, but a bit pricey for us right now.

Day 4. 8U4 -- KCNY [Chinese Walls sightsee, afternoon + 2 days]
Thanks to forum here for the pointout -- along “Continental Divide” on sectional between 8u4 and 3u7.
KCNY - renting car from Enterprise. Weird hours but super helpful reservation line for FBOs at: 877-421-3722. Renting Mountain Bikes from Chile Pepper and planning to start riding -- probably Red Rock Practice Loop arrival day PM, then Moab Brands, maybe DeadHorse Point. Also maybe hiking at Arches Nat’l Park, white water raft, and stream hiking with cliff jumps. Staying in private cabin at Lazzy Lizzard

Day 5. KCNY -- 5v4 [trip complete]
Haven’t figured this one out...get home if thunderstorms are an issue...or explore somewhere along the way

This year my son said he wanted to do some more “flying” than just cruise, so we may get close to destinations and then enter a practice area for traditional maneuvers training...we’ll see how that goes. This is for the fun, and I just try to keep him excited about the adventure of airplane sky trips.

Attachments

• Epic 19 Big Pic.jpg
    Epic 19 Big Pic.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 28
I like the plan. The only areas I know a bit is the San Juan Islands, very nice, then down by Page, AZ & Grand Canyon Land. Your legs show directs over high terrain, I’d expect you’ll end up with more bobbing & weaving around the high stuff.

I wouldn’t overload yourself with to many reservations days ahead, especially with camping supplies you have flexibility. Adjust to what catches your interest & best weather as you get going. The trip itself will be great, no need for fillers at every stop.

We were in the SW a few months ago, Raton, NM(airport) was one of the best, casual overnights. The Whittington Center & Museum is only 2 miles away. I think BCE & CNY are great stops.

I like the plan. The only areas I know a bit is the San Juan Islands, very nice, then down by Page, AZ & Grand Canyon Land. Your legs show directs over high terrain, I’d expect you’ll end up with more bobbing & weaving around the high stuff.

I wouldn’t overload yourself with to many reservations days ahead, especially with camping supplies you have flexibility. Adjust to what catches your interest & best weather as you get going. The trip itself will be great, no need for fillers at every stop.

We were in the SW a few months ago, Raton, NM(airport) was one of the best, casual overnights. The Whittington Center & Museum is only 2 miles away. I think BCE & CNY are great stops.
Great comments. This is our 5th two-week flying trip, and I tend to way overplan:) Last year we actually both agreed we could use more down time. The Comanche handles the high altitude flying well, but we are not afraid to deviate as necessary if the weather starts building. Generally we work on getting early starts. I make sure the reservations are easy to cancel and try to build in some flexibility. I now think we may overnight in Bend, OR and then up further on the coast to let my son surf the river and coast which I know he would love. I will check out Raton - thanks!

Back