Enterovirus

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
With all of this talk about Ebola we have lost site of the enterovirus that has killed 5 children and paralized a dozen more in our country. This disease was once considered extinct from the US, but recent changes in our immigration policy has allowed tens of thousands of illegal children to come across our borders and spread across the country unchecked by health officials.

While the claim illegals are spreading it disputable some facts are not. Enterovirus is a polio like virus that is raveging our schools that was not here in these numbers last year.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/ob...new-mystery-virus-causing-paralysis-children/

Last edited:
With all of this talk about Ebola we have lost site of the enterovirus that has killed 5 children and paralized a dozen more in our country. This disease was once considered extinct from the US, but recent changes in our immigration policy has allowed tens of thousands of illegal children to come across our borders and spread across the country unchecked by health officials.

Racist..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......;)

Ps... I bet 100 bucks that is the cause too....

As Gomer Pyle would say:
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

And not one word from the main stream press. :no:

5 children are dead!
A dozen paralized!
Over 600 cases in the last 3 months alone!

Not a freaking word!

This is out of control!

I have no information about this.
Is it possible the granola folks condemning immunization is a contributing factor?

I have no information about this.
Is it possible the granola folks condemning immunization is a contributing factor?

Possible, not probable. My point is this virus was reintroduced by illegal immigration! There I said it!

In any event, 5 American children have dies in the last month and not one word from the main stream press. The African guy who dies of Ebola gets 24/7 coverage to include his funeral, but not even a mention of 5 American children that are dead.

12 children have muscle weakness or are paralized after being exposed to enterovirus that is spreading across the US like wild fire.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virus-investigated-after-colorado-kids-develop-paralysis/

Seriously, people! Ask your self why!!!!!

Last edited:
Quick! Stop all travel in the US unless the travelers have been quarantined to make sure it won't spread! Close all the schools! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quick! Stop all travel in the US unless the travelers have been quarantined to make sure it won't spread! Close all the schools! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deadly communicable diseases are now to be made fun of. Seriously?

What is funny Bill, you should have been listening when Americans demanded deportation of the 50,000 children being allowed to illegally immigrate here. They should have never been distributed though out the US to attend public school! At the very least these children should have had a through medical exam.

Even in the 1800's the US Government required all immigrants to enter through Ellis Island, NY. The sole purpose for which was a though medicual and fitness examination by doctor's and nurses. Why can't we have appropriate medical examinations for people coming from areas of the planet with infectious disease? Seriously?

The inability of Americans not to see and understand what is going on here is mind blowing. It's frighten to me that it is illegal to spray an agent from a plane, but it is perfently legal to allow disease carrying children to enter the country.

I have grand kids spread across this country. I have a right as a 8 time grandparent, and 8 time great grand parent to express my fears, concerns, and appropriate action to take to keep them and all children safe.

All I can think of is "What is going to happen next?" What good is a government or its laws when it cannot protect it's citizens?

Last edited:
Observation re: 24/7 news coverage for ebola.
Most news I think is consumer driven meaning the more clicks it gets, the longer it stays up, the more coverage it gets, and the more clicks it gets, and on and on.

People on their computers are of age to get ebola and have seen outbreak which came out during the peek of the AIDS crisis and here is this virus that is X times worse and they had a hit movie with Rene Russo (so hot) and Dustin Hoffman (Even hotter).

I am sure a huge number of soccer moms are following the entrovirus link but they are outnumbered by everyone else who is watching the sensationalistic disease play out. The soccer moms are clicking the ebola one too.

The ebola thing is even more complicated because you have the Conspiracy people pushing it, the "Its Obama's fault" agenda people, the "See what I said about immigration" people. It just has so much momentum and more inertia coming from more directions.

The news gives us what we are asking it to give us. We can't complain about the news directly we should ask why we continue to request the media to feed us this stuff. I don't know the answer to that but I believe the coverage we get is the coverage we (maybe not you or me but people in general) request of it.

If you want proof there is a great micro-chasm of this media cycle playing out on facebook. Look what people are sharing. Ebola > Entrovirus

I believe part of the reason is our society does not value children. ;)

Last edited:

According to CDC website, there is no vaccine, so no "anti vaccination" issues.

Kids crossing the border as a source of the infection does not explain Kansas City, or Chicago, or the fact that some cases are noted every year in the country. What is frightening about this outbreak is the number of cases and the severity of some of the cases.

Let's not start jumping to conclusions and fingerpointing at some groups. You might just miss the real source of the infection while you're looking at the immigrants.

I agree the media is not covering this the way it should, but I did get some good info from here. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...ave-Confirmed-Cases-of-Deadly-Enterovirus-D68

As for me, I'm keeping my kids close, and warning them again, that if someone is coughing and sneezing, move as far away as possible.

The questions people should be answering; "Is it good public policy to allow people to immigrate here without a medical exam?"

This disease was once considered extinct from the US, but recent changes in our immigration policy has allowed tens of thousands of illegal children to come across our borders and spread across the country unchecked by health officials.

Not verified

From the CDC website:

How common is EV-D68 in the United States?

In general, a mix of enteroviruses circulates every year, and different types of enteroviruses can be common in different years. Small numbers of EV-D68 have been reported regularly to CDC since 1987. However, this year the number of people reported with confirmed EV-D68 infection is much greater than that reported in previous years. See EV-D68 in the U.S., 2014 for details about infections occurring this year.

Doesn't sound like an extinct virus to me.

However, I am glad that you brought this threat to my children to my attention.

The questions people should be answering; "Is it good public policy to allow people to immigrate here without a medical exam?"

To be very pointed - the virus can just as easily be brought into the US by a visitor (legal immigrants have to show good health).

Do you propose that each and every visitor AND resident undergo an exam at the arrival airport with each and every entry to the US?

If yes, then how do you propose to catch every virus/bacteria that has an incubation time > immediate?

If not, what would you propose as an effective solution?

It sounds like you're just bringing the right-wing party line here, and if so, you should take the entire thread to Spin Zone.

Bill, so your answer is do nothing? Then why is the government even concerned about Ebola and visitors?

If being concerned about the health of our children is "right wing" so be it, but I would prefer this subject not go to the SZ so as to inform others.

Last edited:
Bill, so your answer is do nothing? Then why is the government even concerned about Ebola and visitors?

If being concerned about the health of our children is "right wing" so be it, but I would prefer this subject not go to the SZ so as to inform others.

No, I posed a couple of questions specifically what you would do, given that viruses can be carried into the country by returning citizens and visitors both. You may disagree, but putting it all on immigrants is outright wrong.

No, I posed a couple of questions specifically what you would do, given that viruses can be carried into the country by returning citizens and visitors both. You may disagree, but putting it all on immigrants is outright wrong.

You're definitely right Bill. We should just open up the border and not care about anything that any of them carry in here. No big deal, let's do it. Not to mention we have plenty of money to put them all on welfare, free health care, education and anything else they want. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

It's not right wing or left wing in my opinion. We all have to get immunizations to go a lot of places in the world and it is not unreasonable for us to require it of people entering. It's also not unreasonable to restrict pleasure travel from places currently experiencing an explosion of incurable disease. History can, and will, repeat itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be very pointed - the virus can just as easily be brought into the US by a visitor (legal immigrants have to show good health).

Do you propose that each and every visitor AND resident undergo an exam at the arrival airport with each and every entry to the US?

If yes, then how do you propose to catch every virus/bacteria that has an incubation time > immediate?

It sounds like you're just bringing the right-wing party line here, and if so, you should take the entire thread to Spin Zone.

Nothing "right-wing" about this. Only a liberal bed wetter would think so!

Kids crossing the border as a source of the infection does not explain Kansas City, or Chicago, or the fact that some cases are noted every year in the country. What is frightening about this outbreak is the number of cases and the severity of some of the cases.

You missed the news accounts of 80,000 unaccompanied minors flooding across our southern border, then whisked away to Chicago, Kansas and scores of other states with little to no health screening?

And we're surprised by these outbreaks? :mad2:

As the empire crumbles. What is it about white people and self immolation? Do we get bored at 'peak empire' and resolve to let our spoiled kids great great grandchildren build it up again, if they survive the dark age. Hell of a way to enforce gene fitness.

You're definitely right Bill. We should just open up the border and not care about anything that any of them carry in here. No big deal, let's do it. Not to mention we have plenty of money to put them all on welfare, free health care, education and anything else they want. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

Nobody, except you, said anything of the sort.

The fact is that we have far more international travelers entering legally, as well as residents that travel, than enter illegally. Ignoring that, and focusing solely on immigrants is to ignore an even larger threat vector.

Pointing that out isn't liberal, it's a simple fact. To ignore those other vectors and focus only on illegals is to spout the party line.

The question is one of practicality - what, exactly, would you do, and what are you willing to sacrifice to close every possible hole? Or are you willing to put the blinders on and ignore folks crossing with passports and visas?

I will point out that the Ebola patient entered legally, not by illegally crossing the border.

A lot of truth to Henning's suggestions in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuffa

Nothing "right-wing" about this. Only a liberal bed wetter would think so!

:yikes:.......:popcorn::popcorn:

No interest in getting into a debate on where this came from, but definitely concerned about this virus.

As a mom, this is showing up all over my newsfeeds and what I read online. Like 6PC said, I think it's based on who you follow. I follow my kids' pediatrician's office on FB (they are part of Cook Children's), and they have posted 3 articles on enterovirus in the last month or so. According to an MD in their practice, for "almost all children, enterovirus D68 causes mild runny nose and cough and that our biggest complication is the progression towards wheezing." There have been kids that are showing paralysis and some who have died, but the explanation on those don't seem to be clear-cut enough to say it was solely caused by enterovirus. Meaning, of the 10 kids in CO with paralysis, only 4 tested positive for enterovirus. That being said, what the hell is paralyzing these children?!?

I agree that lots of medical research needs to go into figuring out what is going on here, whether it is enterovirus or something else. I do believe research is being done, even if CNN and other news sources aren't necessarily showing a huge amount of public outrage. I see plenty (not outrage, but definite concern) on my newsfeed and in my little pocket of parentland.

Here are the links from our doctor's office:
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/health-alert-what-is-enterovirus-68/
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/enterovirus-68-what-you-need-to-know/
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/enterovirus-d68-what-we-know-now

FYI, these aren't medical journals, just articles written for parents.

Bunch of stuff from my kids school. Some news stuff as well. Doesn't seem hidden to me, and I ignore most everything not in my tiny little world.

Deadly communicable diseases are now to be made fun of. Seriously?

What is funny Bill, you should have been listening when Americans demanded deportation of the 50,000 children being allowed to illegally immigrate here. They should have never been distributed though out the US to attend public school! At the very least these children should have had a through medical exam.

Even in the 1800's the US Government required all immigrants to enter through Ellis Island, NY. The sole purpose for which was a though medicual and fitness examination by doctor's and nurses. Why can't we have appropriate medical examinations for people coming from areas of the planet with infectious disease? Seriously?

The inability of Americans not to see and understand what is going on here is mind blowing. It's frighten to me that it is illegal to spray an agent from a plane, but it is perfently legal to allow disease carrying children to enter the country.

I have grand kids spread across this country. I have a right as a 8 time grandparent, and 8 time great grand parent to express my fears, concerns, and appropriate action to take to keep them and all children safe.

All I can think of is "What is going to happen next?" What good is a government or its laws when it cannot protect it's citizens?

Agreed.

This thread was also the first I heard about this.....FAIL America.

We can't seal ourselves off or screen everyone, so pointing fingers at each other is superfluous when we should be pointing all fingers at the viruses themselves.

Enterovirus and SARS are still threats, and if anything is going to enhance the spread of these diseases, it's going to be ignorance on the part of the public, and misuse of antibiotics on the part of the professionals.

If these kind of things progress, we'll see protective legislation, but it could be to little too late. Pandemics have a way of flame throwing any organized government or infrastructure. That's why they're called pandemics. Masses of people die. That's why ebola garner's more attention. It's a guarantee'd pandemic if it mutates airborne.

Agreed.

This thread was also the first I heard about this.....FAIL America.

This confuses me though. I don't see how the fact that you haven't heard something that I have heard a ton about means that America has failed you.

I googled "enterovirus news" and came up with 15.5 million hits. And they are everything from the Washington Post (9 hours ago) to Fox News (13 hours ago) to CNN (30 hours ago). LA, Detroit, and Dallas newspapers all posted articles between 10/11 and 10/13.

No one is hiding this. It's news. Ebola sounds scarier, so as others have posted, it's getting more hits and more discussions. But as a mom of two little ones, I've seen and clicked on more articles about enterovirus.

This confuses me though. I don't see how the fact that you haven't heard something that I have heard a ton about means that America has failed you.

I googled "enterovirus news" and came up with 15.5 million hits. And they are everything from the Washington Post (9 hours ago) to Fox News (13 hours ago) to CNN (30 hours ago). LA, Detroit, and Dallas newspapers all posted articles between 10/11 and 10/13.

No one is hiding this. It's news. Ebola sounds scarier, so as others have posted, it's getting more hits and more discussions. But as a mom of two little ones, I've seen and clicked on more articles about enterovirus.

You proved my point in your own response!

That's just it, we hear all this about emboli, but shy of googling parents, this isn't really in the focus of our "news" circus.

Too bad it's all about "new stories" and not just straight relevant news.

Part of it is that enterovirus is an "old" concern. We've dealt with it being around for years. Ebola is new, and is virulent with a mortality rate similar to the Plague. What's frustrating is seeing how close we came to wiping some of these diseases & parasites out completely, only to have them come back from some dark hole in the middle of nowhere where it wasn't quite eradicated- polio, bed bugs, Spanish flu, etc...

What about US citizens who leave the country? Should they not be allowed back in without a medical exam?

Last edited:
What about US citizens who leave the country? Should they not be allowed back in without a medical exam?

If they visit a place that has the potential to aquire a disease, then yes.....

All incoming people need to be screened ...

If that offends someone then they have the right NOT to visit those places...
IMHO

The enterovirus in question is endemic in the US, has been for years. It didn't come in with immigrants, it was here already. We are in the middle of a particularly virulent outbreak. It will come and go.

Parents and grandparents, there is no ironclad guarantee that your child will survive to adulthood. In the previous century it wasn't uncommon for parents to loose a majority of their children in infancy. People die for all kinds of reasons, and included in that are, unfortunately, children. Government can't just outlaw an outbreak of infectious disease.

The CDC -OR- Sharyl Attkisson believes it to be true? The link posted goes to CBN News, which in turn relys on a story by Sharyl Attkisson. Got to admit, her header is intriging - "Stonewalled. My fight for truth against the forces of obstruction, imtimidation, and harassment on Obama's Washington"

Didn't see any reference that the CDC has tied this to immigrants.

Gary

Back