Enterovirus

Kids crossing the border as a source of the infection does not explain Kansas City, or Chicago,

As for me, I'm keeping my kids close, and warning them again, that if someone is coughing and sneezing, move as far away as possible.

So you think the government "relocating" tens of thousands of illegal aliens to places like KANSAS CITY and PHILADELPHIA doesn't answer your question?

I am not saying its not true but the wording is designed to make the reader infer this is the cause

Investigative reporter Sharyl Attkisson writes that some people are raising the question of whether the disease is being spread by the presence of tens of thousands of illegal immigrant children who have come to the United States in the past year.

ok, these people are raising the question. Good idea

Attkisson points out the origin could be entirely unrelated, but that a study in Virology Journal found the virus among more than 3,000 young people in eight Latin American countries last year.

May be unrelated but there is an artical that shows it is in Latin America.
I read the writeup in Virology Journal and it is s study on the virus in Latin America and does not itself allude to that being a source of it in the U.S.

She also notes there are significant numbers of illegal immigrant children in both cities where the current outbreak was first identified: Kansas City, Missouri, and Chicago.

There are significant numbers of illegal immigrant children all over the country

Again, This may well have come from outside but Sharyl Attkisson (Who is s total badass by the way) is ushering the reader to turn correlation into causation in her writing.

Disclaimer:
This virus may totally and legitimately have come from some guy screwing a monkey in a 3rd world country and coming here but I bet we have plenty of dudes screwing monkeys here in the U.S. too. I'm lookin at you Tim.

Forget about this Enterovirus stuff. According their avatars, 6PC and Eren seem to be brother and sister!! How is it that no else is talking about that?

If they have traveled to areas of the world with deadly communicable diseases yes!

I'm in Fort Worth today. Should I be required to get a medical exam before I fly back to Colorado?

Didn't see any reference that the CDC has tied this to immigrants.

Gary

You are right, the article says it doesn't know why there is a spike in cases. Steiner said there was positively no correlation, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what has caused a spike in entrovirus cases in the cities where the illegal children where sent. :dunno:

None of these children were given medical exams before being places in cities all across the country. As a doctor do you think that was a good idea?

I'm in Fort Worth today. Should I be required to get a medical exam before I fly back to Colorado?

If you have been exposed to people with Ebola or enterovirus YES! :mad2:

You can try and PC this all you want. The facts are we have children dying and becoming paralized due to the spread of this virus at a rate well above what would be considered "normal" rates of infection. The only way to stop the spread AND SAVE LIVES is to curtail travel to areas of high infection rates. Duh!

If you see someone coughing up a lung do you run up and shake their hand? I would hope you would avoid them. Do you wash your hands before eating? Geez Marie, have you lost all of your common sense?

Last edited:

You can try and PC this all you want. The facts are we have children dying and becoming paralized due to the spread of this virus at a rate well above what would be considered "normal" rates of infection. The only way to stop the spread AND SAVE LIVES is to curtail travel to areas of high infection rates. Duh!

How do I know if I have been exposed or not?

But wait, people may lie about their exposure or not know of their exposure. Can't be too safe.

If you see someone coughing up a lung do you run up and shake their hand? I would hope you would avoid them. Do you wash yoiur hands before eating? Geez Marie, have you lost all of your common sense?

So, do I understand you correctly that every traveler be questioned and inspected by a government doctor at each airport and state line? But wait, I thought you said that you don't trust the government to tell the truth about exposure and infection....:dunno:

Perhaps we need quarantine centers, too... :rolleyes: (dripping sarcasm for those who don't see the smilie). http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/...-quarantine-centers-for-every-city-in-the-us/

And once again those who claim that the government cannot protect you from criminals are now assuming that the government should protect you from enteroviruses. Hypocrisy 101.

And once again those who claim that the government cannot protect you from criminals are now assuming that the government should protect you from enteroviruses. Hypocrisy 101.
Yeah they should put TFRs around RNA. I'll need a 20 million dollar grant and 5 grad students to work out the details.:lol:

When the AIDS virus first got ugly, President Reagan wanted to quarantine AIDS patients. They called it something like, 'gay mens disease' in those days, because the only known victims were all homosexual men.

The left went ape **** and now many millions have died, and many millions more will, because PC trumped common sense, just as it will with ebola and enterovirus.

Why is this a bad idea for a deadly virus? Dallas is proof that protocols don't always work.

So, you're in favor of government-funded exams and healthcare?

I'm sure you recognize that 1) if the docs doing the exam find another condition that requires treatment, they are bound to do something, and 2) if you use it to "round up" immigrants and check their status, they will simply not come in for their exam (or smuggle their way to other parts of the country).

Seriously, on a practical basis, how could you ever pull this off?

When the AIDS virus first got ugly, President Reagan wanted to quarantine AIDS patients. They called it something like, 'gay mens disease' in those days, because the only known victims were all homosexual men.

The left went ape **** and now many millions have died, and many millions more will, because PC trumped common sense, just as it will with ebola and enterovirus.

Are you seriously suggesting that the AIDS epidemic could have been curtailed by quarantining everybody with the disease (or all gay men for that matter)? :rofl:

So you are in favor of people with deadly communicable diseases to be knowingly allowed to wonder through a healthy population?
I don't worry about those we know have the disease - they can be identified and stigmatized. I would worry more about those we don't know and can't identify. Therefore they can't be "knowingly" allowed to wander.

And unless you can point out a foolproof and effective way to identify contagious folks, it would seem that we could throw every dollar in our economy at screening without offering "protection". Especially considering that you are unwilling to trust either science or the government.

I don't worry about those we know have the disease - they can be identified and stigmatized. I would worry more about those we don't know and can't identify. Therefore they can't be "knowingly" allowed to wander.

And unless you can point out a foolproof and effective way to identify contagious folks, it would seem that we could throw every dollar in our economy at screening without offering "protection". Especially considering that you are unwilling to trust either science or the government.

I trust my common sense. It is pure folly to allow 80,000 children to assimilate into our country without the most basic physical and medical examination allowing communicable diseases to be transmitted to healthy children here. Enterovirus 68 was very rare here until the southern border was allowed to be used as a back door.

I trust my common sense. It is pure folly to allow 80,000 children to assimilate into our country without the most basic physical and medical examination allowing communicable diseases to be transmitted to healthy children here. Enterovirus 68 was very rare here until the southern border was allowed to be used as a back door.

And exactly how do you propose to make that happen?

If you see someone coughing up a lung do you run up and shake their hand? I would hope you would avoid them. Do you wash your hands before eating? Geez Marie, have you lost all of your common sense?

I think what Geico is saying is that the federal government should step in and control travel within the United States, that we should close our borders, and that anyone who has traveled from outside of the US over the past six months should be shrouded in cling wrap and sent somewhere not here.

I might be reading too much into this however.

And exactly how do you propose to make that happen?

Its just a little late now, but the borders must be secured.

Ban all non essential travel to west Africa. No one to or from unless on official business and only after a health screening when returning. Quarantined if nessessary.

Establish Ebola hospitals to care for people infected. Clearly, local hospitals are not equipped to handle this type of infectious disease and can bankrupt a local hospital.

Your solution?

I think what Geico is saying is that the federal government should step in and control travel within the United States, that we should close our borders, and that anyone who has traveled from outside of the US over the past six months should be shrouded in cling wrap and sent somewhere not here.

Yes you are.

I understand exactly what he's saying. I have asked him to square his views about not wanting government control of things against his views here about having the government involved. And squaring his distrist of government against the view that government should be trusted and compelled to execute such a screening process.

And I repeat, how exactly do you expect to accomplish that without destroying the country and the economy?

The "immigrants" that he keeps mentioning managed to cross the southern border illegally, how do you expect to control them inside the country? The result of the proposed action will stop, detain, and/or trash the rights of hundreds of millions of citizens acting legally, yet the ones he is most concerned about will find a way around the law.

I am reminded of the arguments for and against gun control (in which gun violence is far, far more deadly than enterovirus.....)

Last edited:
Actually many times I don't...

So, not only are you at risk, just like EVERYBODY ELSE, but you choose to compound the risk by employing marginal hygiene methods, and think that proves something, other than you intentionally brought it on, if you get it?
Then to make it worse, you are happily risking infecting others and bragging about it?

Last edited:
Actually many times I don't...(wash my hand before eating).

Well then. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you wash your hands after you go to the bath room? :dunno: Maybe you shouldn't answer that on a public forum where your coworkers may read it. ;)

Mods, we need a smiley that pukes. ;)

Are you seriously suggesting that the AIDS epidemic could have been curtailed by quarantining everybody with the disease (or all gay men for that matter)? :rofl:

If quarantining infected peop,e doesn't work why is it being employed against Ebola, and why are you coinflating political correctness with established medical protocols?

Well then. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you wash your hands after you go to the bath room? :dunno: Maybe you shouldn't answer that on a public forum where your coworkers may read it. ;)

Mods, we need a smiley that pukes. ;)
Oh come on, many people don't wash their hands before eating. Do many people you know run to the washroom when they sit down to eat at a restaurant? I know some do, but most I know don't.

So, not only are you at risk, just like EVERYBODY ELSE, but you choose to compound the risk by employing marginal hygiene methods, and think that proves something, other than you intentionally brought it on, if you get it?
Then to make it worse, you are happily risking infecting others and bragging about it?
I follow the ten second rule too! :rofl:

If quarantining infected peop,e doesn't work why is it being employed against Ebola, and why are you coinflating political correctness with established medical protocols?

Ebola: 2 - 21 days from infection to symptoms, patient is not infectious during the incubation period.

HIV/AIDS: About 10 years from infection to AIDS, patient is infectious during this entire time.

Ah, the disjointed musings of the liberal mind!

The govt has proven they can't protect us from criminals. And we have a second amendment to assure we can protect ourselves.

While we don't expect govt to protect us from viruses, we DO expect them to secure our borders (one of the small number of legitimate duties of govt) and NOT do stupid things that increase risk to the citizenry (dispersing medically unscreened illegals to the far corners of the country with no tracking ability.)

I will point out that the Ebola patient entered legally, not by illegally crossing the border.

What part of lying to officials about knowingly being exposed to an Ebola infected person is legal? Had he told the truth, he would have been denied. His home country was even talking about prosecuting him for the lie if he survived.

Its just a little late now, but the borders must be secured.

How does one do that exactly? I'm not trying to be dense, but if folks want in they'll get in. What do we do, built a big wall? The Chinese tried that, in in true Chinese style built one that could be seen from space. Didn't work.

The way to do that is to deny them jobs here. If they can't make a living hey won't come, simple as that. Problem is to enforce that we need draconian legislation with even more draconian enforcement, which is likely to be anathema to freedom-loving Americans and anyone who owns a business.

Today 28 cases of enterovirus reported in BC (Canada), and 150 in Ontario.
No immigrant interaction here.:no:

So where did it come from?:dunno:

I believe part of the reason is our society does not value children. ;)

Of that there is no doubt, because you are leaving them an unsurvivable world, and that is on each and everyone that complains about what is without working to change to what should be, or worse, believing what should be involves ignoring the welfare of others in order secure what they think they need.

No interest in getting into a debate on where this came from, but definitely concerned about this virus.

As a mom, this is showing up all over my newsfeeds and what I read online. Like 6PC said, I think it's based on who you follow. I follow my kids' pediatrician's office on FB (they are part of Cook Children's), and they have posted 3 articles on enterovirus in the last month or so. According to an MD in their practice, for "almost all children, enterovirus D68 causes mild runny nose and cough and that our biggest complication is the progression towards wheezing." There have been kids that are showing paralysis and some who have died, but the explanation on those don't seem to be clear-cut enough to say it was solely caused by enterovirus. Meaning, of the 10 kids in CO with paralysis, only 4 tested positive for enterovirus. That being said, what the hell is paralyzing these children?!?

I agree that lots of medical research needs to go into figuring out what is going on here, whether it is enterovirus or something else. I do believe research is being done, even if CNN and other news sources aren't necessarily showing a huge amount of public outrage. I see plenty (not outrage, but definite concern) on my newsfeed and in my little pocket of parentland.

Here are the links from our doctor's office:
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/health-alert-what-is-enterovirus-68/
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/enterovirus-68-what-you-need-to-know/
http://www.checkupnewsroom.com/enterovirus-d68-what-we-know-now

FYI, these aren't medical journals, just articles written for parents.

Why? Isn't the population high enough already? Should we really be wasting money on keeping people alive that would otherwise die of natural causes before we take care of the food and water requirements for our population first? 2/3rds of the planet has insufficient food and water, billions of children hungry and drinking foul water, large percentages getting Malaria collecting their water.

Should we be saving children to subject them to a world of war, famine, and endless plagues?:dunno:

Take care of the big issues, the rest will work itself in accordance to what we can provide.

So, it wasn't brought here by illegal immigrant children?

It's always around. Were a couple cases? It's certainly possible, it exists everywhere. Would we have avoided all cases with a closed border? No, not a chance. Saying it was gone here is a bad piece of propaganda brought to you by the fear mongerers of the world. They are the true bane of humanity, fear mongerers are the devil, they keep humanity from achieving what it's capable of and keep us at war wasting everything.

Have some faith, have some compassion, show it in your acts; that's how the world becomes a better place, when we earn it by believing and doing what it takes to make it happen. When nature no longer needs to kill us, nature we will get the information we need.

Karma, you just can't beat it.;)

Back