Enough of the snow...

dottat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
doug
Today was not such a good day. Two wooden framed hangars collapsed overnight. Countless planes lost. 172's, 182's, Cherokees

KTHV (York, PA)

2f7a1c5ca3462b9786ed0f9df4da949a.jpg

a2d8c7b1b3464ac39c50f2ded7215f3c.jpg

2242f284dc7f16e0b6d140c8039b9ad8.jpg

a1eddda0697515ee6a03cff13c3afec1.jpg

ad14eab3e7d2e88291bbecc40ea264b5.jpg

98040ddda7e3b883d693e086eecf2b0a.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That's terrible. My street hasn't been plowed yet so I can't get to the airport and check on own my hangar.

That's painful.

Are hangars more vulnerable to snow and wind than other buildings due to big roofs with no supporting posts in the middle?

That's painful.

Are hangars more vulnerable to snow and wind than other buildings due to big roofs with no supporting posts in the middle?

Yup.. it is a simple conclusion of excess span and NO posts carrying the load....

Looking at the debris I would say those hangars were marginal... at best..:mad:...

If it were my plane in those worn out hangars.. I, at least would have gone to Home Depot /Lowes ,etc... And bought 8-10.... 4"X4" posts and placed them around the plane to support the roof from collapsing.... A 100 dollar investment will more then offset a lifetime of crushed dreams.....

Ps.. it is not like they didn't have days of warning this storm was coming..:rolleyes:

Still, sad to see good planes destroyed like that....:sad::sad::sad:

Is that covered by the airport or individual insurance?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I would hope the city would pay up.

Hangar roofs are usually truss construction,the integrity of the roof depends on all the trusses being in good condition,when one truss ails they all fail. Sad to see such loss.

Or Mother Nature or God...I hear they have deep pockets. Why is it always someone else's fault? This is why we buy insurance and have choices on where to keep an airplane.

Is that covered by the airport or individual insurance?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I know that my rental hangar doesn't cover personal property inside it and I doubt the airport would be liable, but that could vary from airport to airport. Insurance should cover it no problem.

And that's got to be some heavy, heavy snow. Not something I'm used to in Colorado. :no:

That's why I just had to revise my insurance to make the airport authority the certificate holder on the policy, basically I'm buying insurance for them. These new hangar leases kinda suck.

That's why I just had to revise my insurance to make the airport authority the certificate holder on the policy, basically I'm buying insurance for them. These new hangar leases kinda suck.

I was under the impression the Airport wants to be named so they can make a claim should you cause damage to their hangar. (Or others..)

Or Mother Nature or God...I hear they have deep pockets. Why is it always someone else's fault? This is why we buy insurance and have choices on where to keep an airplane.

:yeahthat:

I was under the impression the Airport wants to be named so they can make a claim should you cause damage to their hangar. (Or others..)

Hmm, that did not occur to me.

I assumed the airport's requirement, that I name them as co-insured, mainly had the effect of avoiding a lawsuit against the city by me or my heirs.

But what you wrote makes sense, too.

I know that my rental hangar doesn't cover personal property inside it and I doubt the airport would be liable, but that could vary from airport to airport. Insurance should cover it no problem.

And that's got to be some heavy, heavy snow. Not something I'm used to in Colorado. :no:

March '03 in the Front Range area. And it'll happen again. All we need is upslope...

I lucked out. The weather last week was crappy in NC (freezing precip) so my airplane is in the heated hangar down there and my 4WD Truck (which normally lives there) is up here. It's coming in handy. Finally got my street plowed out last night.

Or poorly maintained/built hangars.

I buy insurance for MY F' ups, not yours.

We get a ton of snow in my neck of the woods and that crap doesn't happen.

It's not always someone's fault, unless it is. You change good money for a hangar, you don't maintain the hangar, rickety hangar smashes planes, pay up.

If I took someone up for a scenic in my plane, I had crap mx on the plane, plane took and dump and someone got hurt, I'd expect to see a bill.

It's not always someone's fault, unless it is. You change good money for a hangar, you don't maintain the hangar, rickety hangar smashes planes, pay up.

If I took someone up for a scenic in my plane, I had crap mx on the plane, plane took and dump and someone got hurt, I'd expect to see a bill.
I should have added these two hangars were about 80 years old. All wood framing.

Sad day for sure. That 172 way in the back we also already determined is toast. Right wing under enough load she is sitting on the wheel pans.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with "ALL WOOD FRAMING" provided it was maintained in good condition.

Putting YOUR plane in someone else's rickety hangar is YOUR F'up. ;) And you buy insurance for someone getting hurt in your plane...don't you?

Yup.. it is a simple conclusion of excess span and NO posts carrying the load....

Nope. This is why good architects and structural engineers earn their living. Cheap out on design and construction and this sort of damage is inevitable.

Still, sad to see good planes destroyed like that....:sad::sad::sad:

Full agreement here...

-Skip

Nope. This is why good architects and structural engineers earn their living. Cheap out on design and construction and this sort of damage is inevitable.

Full agreement here...

-Skip

What makes you think the structure was NOT engineered?

The fbo had actually moved these planes to this hangar before the storm. Their normal hangar was perfectly fine. Anyways....

Does anyone know of any 1978-1980 clean/no accident 172 with less than 4,000 hour total airframe time and a run out engine? If so, we are searching for replacement.

Second plane of ours in this hangar I got a chance to look at tonight. I see at least two death blows between these pictures.

ee1f2dcfcbc04254f040fe77a9a86616.jpg

1498f599e4932b7dfaa7c9ee67bc0d23.jpg

b8443f048bd0fb782a15d5a54bd5afbf.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back