Engine Overhaul Credibility

No.

Other than cost, what is a good reason to use a source other than, say, Penn Yan?
Turn it around. Other than (what is your reason again, it's someplace that advertises on the internet?) why WOULD you use pen yan ?

If I was hiring someplace to overhaul my engines, living in IL I would go to poplar grove airmotive. It's an excellent shop and is close enough to drop in and have a chat about things they might find. There are great shops like them all over the country. Pick one.

Last edited:
Turn it around. Other than (what is your reason again, it's someplace that advertises on the internet?) why WOULD you use pen yan ?

1. 3-year warranty
2. All engines tested at the factory
3. Established quality system in the facility
4. All work is done by one tech and checked by another
5. Zero time fits and tolerances
6. Machining is done in house
7. Etc.

1. 3-year warranty
2. All engines tested at the factory
3. Established quality system in the facility
4. All work is done by one tech and checked by another
5. Zero time fits and tolerances
6. Machining is done in house
7. Etc.
are you a walking advertisement ?

why do i care about in house maching ? how does the rest of it differ from anyone else ?

why do i care about in house maching ? how does the rest of it differ from anyone else ?

Good question. The proof would lie in how they handle their warranty claims. I have nothing against a boutique shop that puts in some extra time as well as investment in a machine shop, in making sure everything is done correctly. Personally I have limited exposure to them and have no personal opinion either way but with an impression from what customers have posted, that they put out a quality product.

Not everyone has the capability to supervise or do their own engine rebuild, those who don't do well to use a good name shop if they can't get good local recommendations.

Last edited:

We seem to be arguing from the same side of the fence. PGA is far from an A&P doing an overhaul in his garage.

We seem to be arguing from the same side of the fence. PGA is far from an A&P doing an overhaul in his garage.

The place matters not, the process does.

Most A&Ps do not have the required equipment to do the overhaul. Both major engine manufacturer's overhaul manuals, and FAR 43.2 require testing in a certain manor.

That requires a test club and special cowling, and calibrated gauges.

So, the legal ones rent the cell, and/or equipment

Google "Parker Aviation Houston".

Why do you suggest this? The search pops up with...well, nothing at all useful.

I can't find anything worthwhile for the shop on the web. Presumably, the OP didn't either. If you did, please share a direct link.

First, your statement makes no sense. Penn Yan and Mattituck don't do factory overhauls. Lycoming and Continental do.

Mattituck is owned by Continental. Some of the 'rebuilt' engines sold through the Continental sales organization are done by Mattituck.

I believe there is no separate 'Mattituck' facility at this point, all the work and some of the staff has moved to Fairhope, AL.

Last edited:
Mattituck is owned by Continental. Some of the 'rebuilt' engines sold through the Continental sales organization are done by Mattituck.

Who is the payee when you write the big check for the factory O/H? Continental or Mattituck? Mattituck could be a subcontractor, but Continental (and Lycoming) are the only companies which offer factory overhauls.

Who is the payee when you write the big check for the factory O/H? Continental or Mattituck? Mattituck could be a subcontractor, but Continental (and Lycoming) are the only companies which offer factory overhauls.

I think what he is saying is there is no difference between Mattituck and Continental, the first being an owned subsidiary of the second.

I think what he is saying is there is no difference between Mattituck and Continental, the first being an owned subsidiary of the second.

I understand that. People subcontract work out (or have the work done by subsidiaries) all the time. Heck Coke-a-Cola doesn't even bottle all of its products.

But at the end of the day, you buy a factory reman from Continental or Lycoming and retailers buy Coke-a-Cola from their local Coke distributor, not directly from the third party bottler.

I understand that. People subcontract work out (or have the work done by subsidiaries) all the time. Heck Coke-a-Cola doesn't even bottle all of its products.

But at the end of the day, you buy a factory reman from Continental or Lycoming and retailers buy Coke-a-Cola from their local Coke distributor, not directly from the third party bottler.
Why play with contractors ?

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/Engine_Details/

Welcome to the Genuine Continental Factory Stock Viewer. Here you will find a list of Factory New and Factory Rebuilt engines that are in stock and ready for immediate shipping. You also have the ability to view Factory Engines that are currently in the manufacturing process and will be ready to ship very soon.
How to Buy

Simply click on the engine you want and you will be taken to a Factory Engine Inquiry page where you can get pricing and delivery information directly from a factory representative.

Don’t see the engine you want? Click on Engine Lookup and you will be taken to the Engine Pricing page where you can look up List pricing on your engine model and request a quote from a Continental representative.

Check back often as engines will be added and sold frequently.

more analagous to continental/mattituck, if you go to your local dodge dealer and buy a rebuilt crate motor for your ram truck, the motor was built by the remanufacturing division of caterpillar

Attachments

• DSCN3531.JPG
    DSCN3531.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0023.JPG
    DSCN0023.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I guess ol Rotor can't put up :)

Or you could build your own engine..

All of my engine work has been done by Don George Aircraft in Orlando. He offers true craftsmanship and stands behind his work.

So who on this board has had a Tom Downey overhaul?

Continental purchased Mattituck and transferred equipment and key employees to their Fairhope,AL facility. I care more about the craftsmanship of the person who does the work than who the routing number on the wire belongs to.

Wish me luck, weather permitting I'll do the initial flight on a fresh Continental overhaul this afternoon. Maybe we shouldn't have skimped and go with 'Bob the overhauler' who stores the engine hanging from a chain in his barn instead :wink2: .

So who on this board has had a Tom Downey overhaul?

1 person. The other member here had their engine done by Zepher engines I only supervised the owner install.

show me one you have done.

why do I care about in house maching ? how does the rest of it differ from anyone else ?

Service after the install.

More reading comprehension problems again I see.
Yep that's me having troubles see any thing you have done except bragging what you have done and never being ably to show us any thing.

Yep I do have problems reading what never appears.

The guy with the Franklin Engine in the 170 that's for sale.

In fact I got a call this AM about the Franklin engine from the new buyer, and asked If I would take him as a new customer when he buys it, I hope UP'er was a happy customer?

the customers I have are usually friends which have my permission to answer Rotorhead's questions but I believe they are smart enough to not add to his pizzing contest.

His negativity isn't some thing they enjoy.

That's nonya

Gee, how did we know that answer was coming? :rolleyes2:

Notice how no one on this board ever talks of having Tom do any maintenance on their aircraft? And on one recent thread when a member ask Tom for a prebuy at a nearby airport, he's "too busy"......:rolleyes: :rofl:

Yep I do have problems reading

FTFY.

How about keeping the comments confined to the subject of the thread and not making it about other members. If you need to argue take it to PMs.

How about keeping the comments confined to the subject of the thread and not making it about other members. If you need to argue take it to PMs.

He is exactly why I shut down PMs.

Why don't you moderators take action on those who call names, slander, and other such things as seen in this thread? He has already called me a fool, a pencil whipper.

What's it going to take to put a stop to it. ?

I don't own a plane, and I live to far away, but Tom would be at the top of my list if I were any where close to him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't own a plane, and I live to far away, but Tom would be at the top of my list if I were any where close to him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave.

He is exactly why I shut down PMs.

Why don't you moderators take action on those who call names, slander, and other such things as seen in this thread? He has already called me a fool, a pencil whipper.

What's it going to take to put a stop to it. ?

It will never stop.

Notice how no one on this board ever talks of having Tom do any maintenance on their aircraft? And on one recent thread when a member ask Tom for a prebuy at a nearby airport, he's "too busy"

Is there some thing you don't understand about have a schedule or being retired and not want more work? Or having customers that don't believe in talking about people in a open web page?

Probably not because you can't down load it from the internet.

I count Tom as a friend and hope to meet him on my next trip to Whidbey. If I could twist his arm to work on a PA28 I would be glad to have him work on mine.

What I am seeing is bullying. It is in bad taste.

I count Tom as a friend and hope to meet him on my next trip to Whidbey.

Lunch is waiting. We will be in your hood in May/June maybe a stop?

Let me know times and dates. I have vacation in SC in June but I think that is all.

Let me know times and dates. I have vacation in SC in June but I think that is all.

Times and dates are still fluid at this point, route I-70 is pretty mush south of where we normally travel we will see what happens after we start the trip.

Contact me on FB PMs see what we can make happen.

But the lunch here (BVS) still stands.

Tom, I posted in another thread of yours but will here too. Saw you knew about franklin 165s. I'm looking to buy my first bird and had been, of course, looking at cessnas and pipers. I found a Stinson I REALLY like, with a fresh 165 0 since major. Are these good engines and what is their TBO? Thanks.

Tom, I posted in another thread of yours but will here too. Saw you knew about franklin 165s. I'm looking to buy my first bird and had been, of course, looking at cessnas and pipers. I found a Stinson I REALLY like, with a fresh 165 0 since major. Are these good engines and what is their TBO? Thanks.

Like any other old engine they are pandora's box, they run smooth and are very reliable until......

Franklin engines of Syracuse NY were built from off the shelf auto and truck parts that were certified under the Franklin part numbers.
So that is how the franklin Engine club got burned by the FAA when they discovered the club was using AlisChamber
's main bearing from Prefect Circle and a few other items to get the engine to run again. and there was a AD about that a long time ago.

They are a risk to buy, but when the price is right why not? Buy and plan to up grade when necessary ?

Back