Engine Overhaul Credibility

FU POA...I had a post all ready to send but something happened that prohibited that.

Whatever...to the OP I say go fly the snot out of her on a few rounds. If the current owners object, even with their own pilot onboard, walk away.

My most recent plane was a 1964 PA-28-160. My own A&P said she was a cream puff. As pilot, aka ass in the sling, I discounted his opinion. On a dusky evening I saw and heard her fly away after selling her. I almost cried because she sounded as sweet as everyone had been telling me. And I've been around motors!

Anyway, to the OP I say go fly her and do not be too jaded.

Like any other old engine they are pandora's box, they run smooth and are very reliable until......

Franklin engines of Syracuse NY were built from off the shelf auto and truck parts that were certified under the Franklin part numbers.
So that is how the franklin Engine club got burned by the FAA when they discovered the club was using AlisChamber
's main bearing from Prefect Circle and a few other items to get the engine to run again. and there was a AD about that a long time ago.

They are a risk to buy, but when the price is right why not? Buy and plan to up grade when necessary ?

Hmmm

Perfect Circle made piston rings... The main , rod and cam bearings for Allis Chalmers are made my the Clevite Corp, altho a few production runs were farmed out to Federal Mogel......

And remember.. some parts for certified planes like Cessna. Piper and others used window cranks and other assorted items from the automotive sector...;)

Hmmm

Perfect Circle made piston rings... The main , rod and cam bearings for Allis Chalmers are made my the Clevite Corp, altho a few production runs were farmed out to Federal Mogel......

And remember.. some parts for certified planes like Cessna. Piper and others used window cranks and other assorted items from the automotive sector...;)

Swap the manufacturers around to fit the situation the bottom line remains they were tractor / truck parts and signing the engines off with a dead A&P-IA's name and number.

In shopping for a plane, I've come across several different versions of engine rebuilds. Reading SFOH seems to make me feel more comfortable than SMOH when shopping Trade-a-Plane. When I see more common names like Penn Yan, I feel more secure about the engine. Recently have looked at a plane with a recent rebuild by Parker Engines in Houston. I can't find them with a Google search. Guessing it's a smaller shop. Would that fact alone scare anyone away from a plane? Trying to decide on one plane with 700 hours on an older Factory motor (has only been flown 15 - 30 hours a year) vs a plane with a new 60 hour motor rebuild by a small shop. How do I weigh that?

You might try Parker Aircraft Services in Arcola, Tx

Back