Engine out

mandm

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Multi-engine training today at KIKK, right engine out and feathered in flight, pretty cool!

Lots of rudder! My legs are sore, you need to gym train your legs and probably have extra protein when doing this!

Piper Twin Comanche PA30

IMG_1011.jpeg

Nice! I'm hoping to get into a PA30 soon... maybe even as early as next month!

I’ve a WHOPPING twelve (count’em, a full dozen) hours in a light civil multi. About 5 for my ATP, 3 in a Ford Trimotor and the balance in a twin commanche a few months ago for my CFII.

Freaked me out just turning off a motor… watching it just sit there and not turn! Weird!!

And it’s a lot of work! My type ride in an Airbus A330 single engine work was done ON THE AUTOPILOT! Approach, go around AND landing. Yep, coupled auto land single engine. MUCH easier than that Comanche!

Good for you! Have fun! I enjoyed the plane a lot!

Cool man, we always did those about 4500’ above the airport. Don’t shut down the good one!

I’ve a WHOPPING twelve (count’em, a full dozen) hours in a light civil multi. About 5 for my ATP, 3 in a Ford Trimotor and the balance in a twin commanche a few months ago for my CFII.

Freaked me out just turning off a motor… watching it just sit there and not turn! Weird!!

And it’s a lot of work! My type ride in an Airbus A330 single engine work was done ON THE AUTOPILOT! Approach, go around AND landing. Yep, coupled auto land single engine. MUCH easier than that Comanche!

Good for you! Have fun! I enjoyed the plane a lot!
I doubt your V1 cut was done on the AP.

it's definitely leg day doing OEI in a twinkie. That rudder is about the size of a butter knife :D

That reminds me of my days in the lumbering whale. We had a warning in the Tech Order for go-arounds with same side outboards out (1&2 or 7&8). 200# at the pedal, without rudder trim. It was understood some in the community of a certain shall we say, composition, would struggle with it, requiring second pilot assistance. Bringing that up would get one cancelled today of course lol. But I rather be cancelled than be dead because Lululemon over on the other seat "doesn't do anaerobic". Which is of course, one of 3 soliloquies that led me to the recognition I rather fly with my favorite captain for my troubles in this life. There's two people I trust in the cockpit: One is me, the other one is not you.

Go-around CRM according to the gospel of St. Hindsight
:D

Oh my… we always wondered about the dreaded seven engine approach… BWAHAHAHA

The old hoove was short so it could fit on a mid deck elevator (which was gone by the time it hit the fleet anyway) so it had a VERY large vert stab. Single engine in that usually required pushing with one foot and pulling with the other.

This is a good video, how to handle engine out

Looks like ya ran out of gas in the right tank. Leak?

It was an intentional shutdown, turned the fuel selector to OFF, followed “The Drill” and feathered the propeller, secured the engine. Practiced some maneuvers single engine, then restarted the engine in flight.

It was an intentional shutdown, turned the fuel selector to OFF, followed “The Drill” and feathered the propeller, secured the engine. Practiced some maneuvers single engine, then restarted the engine in flight.
Heh. Just kiddin', I used to have one of those. Btw, you can use both feet on the rudder pedal to spare your leg muscles. I did. ;)

That reminds me of my days in the lumbering whale. We had a warning in the Tech Order for go-arounds with same side outboards out (1&2 or 7&8). 200# at the pedal, without rudder trim. It was understood some in the community of a certain shall we say, composition, would struggle with it, requiring second pilot assistance. Bringing that up would get one cancelled today of course lol. But I rather be cancelled than be dead because Lululemon over on the other seat "doesn't do anaerobic". Which is of course, one of 3 soliloquies that led me to the recognition I rather fly with my favorite captain for my troubles in this life. There's two people I trust in the cockpit: One is me, the other one is not you.

Go-around CRM according to the gospel of St. Hindsight
:D
Whatsa Whale?

Btw, you can use both feet on the rudder pedal to spare your leg muscles. I did. ;)

I did too.!!

Single engine work did teach me to use rudder trim. And in later planes to remember to turn on the yaw damper.

It sounds like he's talking about a B-52, but the only aircraft I've ever heard referred to as a Whale is the A-3D and pretty sure Hindsight isn't old enough to have flown one of those...
Yo, @hindsight2020 , you need get over here and defend yerself.

Airbus_A330-743L_Beluga_XL_Airbus_Transport_International_F-GXLH.jpg

Back