Engine Failure on Takeoff From Tulsa Int'l and Amazing Landing

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
http://www.newson6.com/story/26319363/plane-lands-in-apache-street-near-tia

Watch the video. The airplane appears undamaged after forced landing on departure from KTUL. After viewing the video I couldn't figure out how the pilot avoided both the power lines and poles and made it onto the pavement.

Pretty good stick and rudder work. And you certainly can't beat the outcome - no bruises and no dents!

Wow. Well done....

No props to the reporter... "ummm so what they did was obviously a departure stall or a departure power takeoff"

That's called big aviation word dropping... he should be an NTSB investigator. What's a departure power takeoff? I think that's where you use power to depart on takeoff. Makes sense.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never argue with success, but I would have taken the field. :dunno:

Outstanding flying.

Good Lord, I'm glad I was able to steer our reporter away from saying stupid things on this story.

All that said, damn nice job. Hotter'n hell here today....

No props to the reporter... "ummm so what they did was obviously a departure stall or a departure power takeoff"

That's called big aviation word dropping... he should be an NTSB investigator. What's a departure power takeoff? I think that's where you use power to depart on takeoff. Makes sense.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

He deserves some credit for getting the aircraft type right. Not calling it a Piper Cub or Learjet. ;)

I think I sent more emails today to our newsroom than ever before.
How to say the runway, what is the plane? How many people can it carry? Why didn't they have a flight plan? Who is the owner? Why was the owner not flying it?

I think I sent more emails today to our newsroom than ever before.
How to say the runway, what is the plane? How many people can it carry? Why didn't they have a flight plan? Who is the owner? Why was the owner not flying it?

Neat perspective from inside the action. Thanks. :)

I'm told that was actually the News on 6 helicopter pilot talking.

ironic considering how many people have rammed the side of their plane against the hangar door when putting it up.

Have any friends who just don't seem to have any natural situational awareness?

Never argue with success, but I would have taken the field. :dunno:

Outstanding flying.

Field had recently been cut/baled for hay I believe. Also, the power lines only run on one side of the road and it is directly in line with Rwy 18 so it was a relatively safe option.

As far as causes if it isn't mechanical failure, I wonder about carb icing.

Have any friends who just don't seem to have any natural situational awareness?

haha, maybe. One guy scraped the edge of his wing b/c he didn't open the hangar door 100%. Another scraped the edge of his tail when pushing it into an open T hangar.

Field had recently been cut/baled for hay I believe. Also, the power lines only run on one side of the road and it is directly in line with Rwy 18 so it was a relatively safe option.

As far as causes if it isn't mechanical failure, I wonder about carb icing.

Where the plane stopped there are power lines and poles on both sides. It looks like the plane has 2-3' on either side. That is cutting it pretty close.

Where the plane stopped there are power lines and poles on both sides. It looks like the plane has 2-3' on either side. That is cutting it pretty close.

I'm aware of the lines where they stopped the aircraft, I was speaking more specifically about the touchdown point and general obstacles in the air. If I remember correctly, the pole/wires they were parked under is the only place the wires cross the road on the mile-stretch.

So this means the pilot had filed a flight plan. If he didnt, then the outcome would have been different. :)

I've had 3 dead stick landings. How many have you had?

I also practice engine out ...

http://youtu.be/_xZmsxEewik

I am aiming for the most wide open field I can find.

Moot. Also, weak argument.

You weren't there to see what that pilot saw yet you say you'd take the field as if you know better.

I call BS unless you have intimate local knowledge of that field and road on that day. Otherwise, it's typical internet muscles.

Last edited:
"Internet bravado"

I've had 3 dead stick landings. How many have you had?

And how many of those were immediately after takeoff 100-200 feet in the air with a starting speed around ~Vx?

But to answer your question (that wasn't directed at me) I've had one... similar to the pilot being discussed here. ~200 feet up immediately after take-off NewsStory1 NewsStory2 Oh, and it was at night. SecurityCam

So low and slow, as this pilot was, you don't have time to scan for a better field. In my case between the engine shuddering and hitting the ground it was about 15 seconds.... of which 4-5 seconds were eaten up with a WTF moment. An engine out at 200 feet is in a different universe then one at 4800' as your video displayed.

You just don't have time... you take your immediate best option and commit and worry about keeping the airplane upright and not stalling. That's it and that's all you have time for. Myself being in the exact same scenario I can say this pilot did a superb job and I won't second guess him.

Last edited:
The field might have been a great option. My point is that no one but the PIC knows what it looked like. So innerweb macho pilot second-guessing is just that.

The field might have been a great option. My point is that no one but the PIC knows what it looked like. So innerweb macho pilot second-guessing is just that.

I'm telling you the field wasn't a great option because it's by no means a well groomed field, and likely rough terrain. The road with a single power line running down the side was a simple option.

Last edited:
In cased anyone is wondering what it's like to lose an engine on takeoff, this fellow below had 20 seconds between loss of engine and ground impact. In the case of our OP's 172 story, that pilot likely had between 10-15 seconds since according to the story he was 100 feet up.

http://youtu.be/234_naonoH8

Slightly confused by reporting - engine was at 1900RPM? does that mean they were originally getting full power and it dropped, or did they take off (I'm assuming with some forward speed) at 1900RPM? Carb heat on? Too fast on the throttle and flooded it (since it was a T&G), carb ice since just descended and T&G? What are your thoughts?

Slightly confused by reporting - engine was at 1900RPM? does that mean they were originally getting full power and it dropped, or did they take off (I'm assuming with some forward speed) at 1900RPM? Carb heat on? Too fast on the throttle and flooded it (since it was a T&G), carb ice since just descended and T&G? What are your thoughts?

Carb ice was my suggestion earlier in this thread. Temps have been around 90F for a high and 65-70% humidity. Here is the aircraft in question, which I've never flown but have seen many times on the ramp since I did my training at the FBO who owns this aircraft: http://www.websmart66.net/cgi-bin/p/w66p-listing.cgi?d=christiansen-aviation&id=215

Who knows, though, could have had a completely un-avoidable mechanical failure.

Back