Engine Failure on Takeoff From Tulsa Int'l and Amazing Landing

OMG, "the vertical speed indicator hit zero". LOL. That's some hardcore reporting right there. :)

Never argue with success, but I would have taken the field. :dunno:

But looks littered with hay bales. I would not want to hit one of those head-on.

Last edited:
I've had 41 dead stick landings. :D

you need a better mechanic doing your annuals :hairraise: :lol:

That is for sure! :eek:

Like I said before the pilot did an amazing job setting the plane down under difficult conditions. At least he did not try a turn back to the runway. :eek:

I would have stayed far away from the power lines and landed in the field knowing what I've seen, but that is Monday morning QBing a game that my team won. Its pointless. Well done to the pilot!

Just damn glad it turned out well for the young men.

Last edited:
I have seen the field a number of times, and driven down that road once or twice. The field is rough, even when cut/baled. There is a creek/runoff ditch that runs across the north end of the field (likely about where his touchdown point was). It is currently filled with knee-high growth and random old round bales that were never hauled off/sold; this isn't a farmers field it's just an unsold commercial zoned lot. He managed to set the aircraft down with zero damage to himself, his pax, or the aircraft. I don't see how he could have done it better, aside from not having had the incident in the first place if it was his fault.

Moot. Also, weak argument.

You weren't there to see what that pilot saw yet you say you'd take the field as if you know better.

I call BS unless you have intimate local knowledge of that field and road on that day. Otherwise, it's typical internet muscles.

Geico routinely criticizes other pilots that perform off airport emergency landings and never fails to mention his supposedly superior skills in that regard.

He also posts his dead stick landing video in every case, to prove he knows more than the guy who has successfully just performed the task and is standing next to his aircraft talking to a reporter.

Two 18 year olds on board, that's a formula for disaster. The field or the road ,they made a great landing with no injuries and no damage. Well done.

Two 18 year olds on board, that's a formula for disaster. The field or the road ,they made a great landing with no injuries and no damage. Well done.

If it was a couple geezers on board the digits would have to be swapped:

"Two 81 year olds on board, that's a formula for disaster." ;)

I'm figuring take off with carb heat still pulled.

Impossible to tell why he chose the road but it looks like he had power lines on only one side. I was not there so I can't judge. I've had two.. One at teterboro in a mooney, quit just after takeoff, put gear backdown, landed, the other Stearman quit over farm land. Both luck of the draw as they happened as they did. Could have died in either with slightly different timing. In this case, maybe they forgot to turn the gas on. Happens sometimes.

Impossible to tell why he chose the road but it looks like he had power lines on only one side. I was not there so I can't judge. I've had two.. One at teterboro in a mooney, quit just after takeoff, put gear backdown, landed, the other Stearman quit over farm land. Both luck of the draw as they happened as they did. Could have died in either with slightly different timing. In this case, maybe they forgot to turn the gas on. Happens sometimes.

I've tested my fuel shutoff, it shuts down the engine rather quickly; fast enough that I have no doubts that its in proper position if the engine is idling.

It's fair compensation for the hassle of 13 fuel sumps.

Back