Engine Corrosion

99% of engine corrosion, is no problem. it will poilish out.

It's when the owner panics we will see major problems.

We had it rebuilt (with an overbore due to pitting), and then again a few hundred hours later, when I tested a runway with a propeller.

Not to take the tread too far off topic, but what are the regulations about overboring a certificated airplane? I was under the impression that oversize pistons, rings, and bearings were not allowed.

The way to settle the corrosive effects of engine running and atmospheric moisture is for a scientific experiment say by a university engineering department. How about as a subject for a doctoral thesis. Am I the only one that gets tired of eternal unproven blah, blah?

The way to settle the corrosive effects of engine running and atmospheric moisture is for a scientific experiment say by a university engineering department. How about as a subject for a doctoral thesis.
For that to happen, first there has to be grant money...

The way to settle the corrosive effects of engine running and atmospheric moisture is for a scientific experiment say by a university engineering department. How about as a subject for a doctoral thesis. Am I the only one that gets tired of eternal unproven blah, blah?
Do we need to have a university engineering student do a research project on running an engine out of oil before we can be sure that the engine actually seizes up?

It's experience that tells us so much. My experience in repeatedly finding water in the engine right after I ran it up for inspection is enough for me. The inspection would find low compression or metal in the filter, and a cylinder would need to come off. Water in the rocker box, water between the piston and cylinder. Even without that, the milky chocolate stuff on a dipstick after a short flight in cold weather proves that moisture, lots of it, gets into a crankcase and mixes with the oil. The terrific amount of water/oil emulsion dripping out of a breather is another proof.

People who have never seen it are skeptical. I get that. But I feel sorry for those that continue to ground-run their engines, thinking they're helping the engine last longer. I have run into too many of those in the shop, pitted cylinders and poor compression, rusty gears in the accessory case, and when I ask them if they've been ground-running it, it's always "yes." Those engines that sit undisturbed don't suffer anywhere near like that.

Burning a gallon of gasoline produces a gallon and a half of water. Most goes out the exhaust, but in cold aircraft engines, some gets past the rings. It's not a doctoral-thesis thing. It's common knowledge for mechanics.

I need a peer reviewed, scientific studies to truly believe corrosion claims. Anecdotal claims are better than nothing but opinions are not the same as controlled experiments.

I need a peer reviewed, scientific studies to truly believe corrosion claims. Anecdotal claims are better than nothing but opinions are not the same as controlled experiments.
So, real experience means nothing. Even in the Ram video they say not to ground-run the engine. I guess they haven't really seen that damage in engine cores, either. Thousands of engine cores. Experience means nothing.

I distinctly said "better than nothing", not "means nothing". Read my post again. Shall I try a different language?

Last edited:
There are so many variables in this subject it is impossible to predict what corrosion will occur in any material / or preservative.

I base out of KLBX, south of Houston. My hanger is less than 15 miles from the gulf coast and sits to the North of the coast. My experience does not match what RAM claims.

Maybe using Phillips XC 20-50 and CamGuard is what makes the difference.

Gary

I base out of KLBX, south of Houston. My hanger is less than 15 miles from the gulf coast and sits to the North of the coast. My experience does not match what RAM claims.

Maybe using Phillips XC 20-50 and CamGuard is what makes the difference.

Gary

Maybe because you don't take the added measure to spray your engine's innards with saltwater.

Back