Engine bay hoses

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
I got a quote of $700 to replace the hoses on my engine. They are fire-sleeved Teflon hoses.
Has anyone else replaced their hoses and how does that sound to the community?

The hoses are:
OIL COOLER IN
OIL COOLER OUT
OIL PRESS
ELEC PUMP TO CARB
AUX PUMP TO CARB
ELEC PUMP TO ENG PUMP
FUEL PRESS

That doesn't sound outrageous to me. Are they fire sleeved, steel braided, teflon lined hoses? Some of those have an unlimited useful life, which makes them a pretty good value relative to the nonsense we call General Aviation.

I had all my hoses replaced in my Tiger with the lifetime Teflon hoses. It was amount $1AMU so you are in the range.

An hour or so shop time per hose prolly isn’t too bad. Routing and securing can be a pain since everyone seems to like to zip tie things to hoses.

Good on you for replacing before failure. I did the same thing with the ‘kota.

Good luck! I can't seem to trust buying a hose kit, too many with incorrect length, so I send out the ones I have for duplication.

Good luck! I can't seem to trust buying a hose kit, too many with incorrect length, so I send out the ones I have for duplication.
What is wrong with making your own? I know a couple A&Ps who do that.

A big +1 to send out the old lines for remanufacture.

I'd do the installation with my A&P at annual. Does anyone have a link for the "send out the old lines" method?

Last edited:
I'd do the installation with my A&P at annual. Do anyone have a link for the "send out the old lines" method?

Talk to your A&P.
I am sending mine out in small sets to get new ones made by a shop right on my field (there's about 10,000 friggin' hoses on an Aztec, and I am on a two year program to replace them all). Many of the hose end fittings can be re-used if the threads aren't galled; non-firesleeved replacements are costing me a flat $40 per hose.

I'd do the installation with my A&P at annual. Do anyone have a link for the "send out the old lines" method?

Simple, remove old hoses and place note in the box, ship them to Oklahoma

http://www.aircrafthose.com/

FYI, if you want a fuel flow that is the time to put one in as two hoses typically change for it.

Do anyone have a link for the "send out the old lines" method?
Aircrafthose.com a good place. There are a few others in Trade-A-Plane I've had good experience with in the distant past. Also check locally.

I just replace my oil cooler in and out hoses in my PA28-181 per the recent AD. The cost was $240 for the hoses plus 20 minutes install. Hope that helps!

The quote I got was from aircrafthoses.com and they say the price is the same whether I send in the old or not. They are building them based on the serial number of the plane so I think they should be the right length. I'll check with my A&P about sending in or not.

A lot of times there are differences from airplane to airplane, so sending your old ones in isn't a bad idea.

Make sure they're TSO C53a Type C or D hoses. That's the spec that really matters.

The quote I got was from aircrafthoses.com and they say the price is the same whether I send in the old or not. They are building them based on the serial number of the plane so I think they should be the right length. I'll check with my A&P about sending in or not.

Its just like my instrument refurb nightmare, take a picture of the dail before sending them in.

Shops screw up and not every airplane routed the hoses the same way. After market mods could change hoses etc. There is no way to know if your airplane hoses match a hose shop's data. I always take the opportunity to change the length of them if needed, simply by wrapping tape around the hoses that need to be longer or shorter and writing on it what I need.

PHT is good. They have the data and make the hoses to the TDS spec.

The brown internal firesleeve hose are easier to route and work with. They will take a set after awhile. But should be lifetime if not molested.

They are building them based on the serial number of the plane
Serial number means exactly that the serial number of the aircraft but not how your current hoses are installed. What about the serial number of the engine too? What about any alterations?Take multiple pics of hoses installed. Tag each hose end with location. Make sure the hose company transfers the tags.

If you have mods on your aircraft that affect hose length, it might be a good thing to pass along to vendor. Examples, fuel flow meters, fuel press ind mods, oil press ind mods etc. may all be game changers. I'm sure there are more.

Yea I'll pull the old hoses and send them out. If I have trouble with the routing I may ask them to change the length.

Be mindful of any AD's that apply to your engine hoses. The Cherokee oil cooler hose one comes to mind. Very specific guidelines in that AD.

We have an AD that applies to the current hoses to check them. By replacing them the AD is no longer applicable.

Just be mindful of the oil cooler hose AD requirements if your plane is a Cherokee.

Back