Engine and Prop Recommendations for Cessna T210L

JScarry

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JScarry
We need a new engine on our 1973 Cessna T210L and the prop needs an overhaul/replacement as well. We thought we might as well upgrade while we’re at it. The options I’ve found are:

Ram has an upgrade to TSIO-520-M or -R and Hartzell ScimitarPlus prop.

Western Skyways has a TN-550F upgrade.

Summit Aviation has a 550 T.I. conversion.

Texas Skyways has a 310 HP for the Turbo 210 that removes the turbo.

Am I missing anyone and does anyone have experience with any of these upgrades?

Not familiar with the different STC packages but I would recommend the 550. Regarded as one of the best and most fuel efficient engines out there. I have a g model 550 and it’s been great.

When it is time for a new engine in my ‘75 T210L, I’ll be going with a 550, likely the Vitatoe mod, currently have the stock TSIO-520-H in it with the q-tip prop.

I would definitely go with a 550 if you’re doing an upgrade. Those extra cubes make a difference and it’ll be a better performer with better longevity for the same power output.

Props, what do you do with the plane? I’m a big fan of MT scimitar props but if you’re on a gravel or FOD rich environment may not be the best idea.

Nothing wrong with the 550 STCs as long as you are willing to sacrifice high altitude capability.

We went through this same analysis on our naturally aspirated K model 2 years ago. In the end we decided that the 210 with the IO-520 was more than adequate for our needs. The STC’s for the more powerful engines would be nice but not cost effective for our mission. (We typically fly out of 1,000 to 3,000 msl airports with 3,000 foot runways or longer, very seldom cruise over 9,000 feet with either 2 or 4 passengers. Most of our flights are 200 to 600 miles long.) We concluded the extra investments would be better spent on a EFIS panel and GFC 500 autopilot.

Keep in mind that most places taking in your old engine will reduce the exchange if you do not have a heavy case or the newer VAR crankshaft. Our older engine had neither so an overhaul was not a good option. We found that either a new Continental or “0” time reman purchased through Air Power did not reduce the trade in value for these older engines. Also the newer Continental factory engines have an improved TBO. We had an excellent experience with Air Power and recommend them.

We also thought we were likely needing to replace the prop. The McCauley props can only be overhauled three times as I recall. And some shops would not consider overhauling the model we have. In the end we found a shop in Tulsa that resealed it and NDT inspected it without a complete tear down, which was pretty economical. I did do some research on new props. This was two years ago so may not be current.

The MT props were more expensive then than new McCauley or Hartzell, but the big concern was availability of replacement parts if there is an issue. There were reported issues of lengthy lead times and long down times from MT. McCauley had two models that could replace the original prop. Due to redesign goals to reduce noise during take off and climb the performance for published cruise speeds are less than the original design. At that time the Hartzell Top Prop program seemed to be the best choice for us:
http://hartzellprop.com//products/top-prop/cessna/210f-n-t210f-l-78-dia-scimitar-blade/

I put a 3 blade scimitar Hartzell Top Prop on my 182P 3 years ago. Fantastic prop. Highly recommend.

We need a new engine on our 1973 Cessna T210L and the prop needs an overhaul/replacement as well. We thought we might as well upgrade while we’re at it. The options I’ve found are:

Ram has an upgrade to TSIO-520-M or -R and Hartzell ScimitarPlus prop.

Western Skyways has a TN-550F upgrade.

Summit Aviation has a 550 T.I. conversion.

Texas Skyways has a 310 HP for the Turbo 210 that removes the turbo.

Am I missing anyone and does anyone have experience with any of these upgrades?
Another good article that addresses this same topic:

https://www.tennesseeaircraft.net/2019/02/15/210-engine-upsize/#comment-11

I assume the TN 550 is, by far, the most expensive of the options? (like 30 or 40 grand more?)

If not, I submit 2 votes for the 550TN :D

Back